CASTLEJORDAN GRAVEYARD CO. MEATH
HEADSTONES AND INSCRIPTIONS
Recorded by Dr. Beryl F. E. Moore & Miss A.M. Quinn & Mr. M. Kenny. 1976
CASTLE JORDAN GRAVEYARD MEASURMENTS – east 38 yards, south 55 yards, west 62 yards and north 73 yards. There is a shallow ditch inside an old stone wall on the east, south and north east sides, while on the west side there is a 12 foot ditch apparently belonging to Castlejordan’s military past. Fr. Callary made a study of this matter and came to the conclusion that the west was the weak side and therefore the one the enemy (the Irish) were likely to attack from. In February 1976 a large ivy-covered tree fell at the east side of the graveyard bringing down some of the old wall.
THE CHURCH – a rectangular building in poor repair, closed for worship for some five years. There is a 3 storied tower at the west end with a stone plaque over the door on the south side with the date – 1823 – on it. There are 2 windows on the north and south sides and a vestry also on the north side. Inside we get A FONT …with the following inscription on it…”SUFFER LITTLE CHILDREN TO COME UNTO ME. TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF KATHERINE CONGREVE DIED MARCH 2Oth 1896”. There is a headstone in the graveyard (No. 19) commemorating Katherine Congreve who died on March 20th 1896.
THE EAST WINDOW – is a very nice one which some Church notes refer to as having been designed by the Tower of Glass Works Dublin but I was unable to verify this. The window is in 8 sections, 2 on the top and 3 in the middle and 3 below. The inscription is “THIS WINDOW IS ERECTED BY HELEN DORA RUSSELL TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN LOVING MEMORY OF HER MOTHER ELLEN RUSSELL WHO DIED 15.MARCH1909 AND OF HER BROTHER HENRY JOHN RUSSELL WHO DIED AUGUST 20. 1902”. There are 2 well carved old chairs.
Old wall…on the south side of the Church and 30 ft from it there is 48 ft of an old wall less that one foot above ground. Could it be part of an older church?
North side – no headstones on this side.
East side Row 1
1) Vault…No name or date.
2) SMITH 1721 – Domed top, tilting backwards with cross and IHS at top. “HERE LYETH Y (no E) BODY OF PATRICK SMITH WHO DIED APRIL Y (no E) 10th 1721”.
3) SHORTT 1713-48 – Notched top, hourglass and crossbones in a central sunken panel flanked by a rose on each side. “HERE LYETH Ye BODY OF WILLIAM SHORTT WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE JUN Ye 23rd 1748 AGED 94 YRS. ALSO JANE SHORT (only one T here) DAUGHTER TO THE ABOVE DIED AUGUST Ye 25th 1713 AGED 27”.
4) DIGBIE 1562 – Plain rectangular slab uncarved at back so apparently intended to be laid on top of the grave. Inscription in relief and set in a recess. “HERE LIETHE THE BODIE OF FRANCES DIGBIE OF COLSIL ESQUIER WHO DECEASED Ye X DAY OF JUNE 1562. This is the oldest headstone in the graveyard and one of the rare ones carved in relief instead of being incised as usual. The following are the peculiarities in the short inscription…in one YE the E is placed over the Y, ESQUIRE is spelt ESQUIER, COLEHILL is a neighbouring townland believed to have been the Digbie’s residence in the mid 16th century in Ireland. Fr. Callary in his article on Castlejordan in Rioch Na Mide in year 1957 tells us that Sir Francis Digby Esq came from Coleshill Warwickshire and a direct descendant of his Sir Robert Digby married Lettuce only child of Gerald Fitzgerald Lord of Offaly and Granddaughter of Gerald 11th. Earl of Kildare in 1620; by this marriage he became the owner of the castle and estate of his wife at Geashill Co. Offaly where some of his descendants still reside. Digbie is the spelling of the name on this headstone but by 1600 it was Digby. The person commemorated is a man but Francis is here spelt Frances as for a female nowadays.
5) LOGAN 1945-48 – Cross superimposed on a block set on a base with ivy ornamentation, IHS on top. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF OUR DEAR MOTHER DORA LOGAN DIED 2. MARCH 1945 AGED 54 & OUR DEAR FATHER THOMAS LOGAN DIED 12 Dec. 1948 AGED 70. R.I.P. ERECTED BY THEIR LOVING SONS PETER AND PATRICK”.
6) FARRELLY 1925-74 – Modern stone with a curb enclosing the graves, cross on a double base, IHS at the top, “IN LOVING MEMORY OF OUR DEAR FATHER CHRISTOPHER FARRELLY DIED 4 MAY 1935. ALSO HIS WIFE MARYANN DIED 6 Oct. 1936. THEIR DAUGHTER JOSIE DIED DEC 6 1940. JOHN FARRELLY DIED 19 NOV. 1962. ROSE FARRELLY DIED 31 MARCH 1974. ERECTED BY THEIR SON JOHN AND DAUGHTER ROSE”.
7) GREHAN & FEEHAN no date – An iron cross with “IN LOVING MEMORY OF THE GREHAN FAMILY AND NELLIE FEEHAN KILLOWEN. R.I.P”. Alsoon a homemade metal plaque: “IN MEMORY OF OUR DEAR PARENTS PATRICK AND MARY GREHAN ST. FRANCIS ST. EDENDERRY. PATRICK GREHAN DIED 27th APRIL 1928 AGED 40. MARY GREHAN DIED 18th APRIL 1953 AGED 70. R. I. P”.
8) FITZGERALD 1813 – Domed top, full sunburst around cross IHS and a small hearth flanked on each side by an urn, ‘GLORIA IN EXCELSIS DEO’ on a band below. “ERECTED BY JOHN PATRICK WM & THOs FITGERALD IN MEMORY OF THEIR FATHER WM FITZGERALD WHO DEPtd THIS LIFE APRIL Ye 30. 1813 AGED 65. ALSO HIS POSTERITY HERE LIES”.
9) NANGLE.1909-31 – Celtic type cross erected on a base with IHS in its centre, small cross over inscription. “ERECTED BY MARGARET NANGLE IN LOVING MEMORY OF HER HUSBAND JOHN NANGLE WHO DIED 5 NOV. 1909 AGED 72 YEARS. HER DAUGHTER KATE DIED 14 FEB. 1909 AGED 34 YEARS. HER SON JOHN DIED 25 JULY1910AGED 22 YEARS. HER SON PATRICK DIED 15 JAN. 1913 AGED 44 YEARS. HER GRANDDAUGHTER MARY NANGLE DIED 18 FEB. 1914 AGED 17 YRS”. On the south side…”ROSE NANGLE DIED 31 JAN. 1931 AGED 68 YEARS”.
10) REILLY 1867 – Tall cross on top of a slab tilting forward. “SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF LAURENCE REILLY WHO DIED MAY 6th AGED 80 YEARS. ALSO HIS BELOVED WIFE MARY WHO DIED APRIL 10th1867 AGED 55 YEARS. ALSO THEIR TWO CHILDREN CHARLES AND CATHERINE REILLY. ERECTED BY THEIR CHILDREN RESIDENTS OF THE USA OF AMERICA”.
11) HACKETT 1745 – Domed top, half sunburst enclosing cross and IHS. “HERE LYETH THE BODY OF JOHN HACKETT WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE MAY Ye 23RD AGED 63 YEARS”.
12) No name or date – A small enclosure with an iron railing around it but no headstone has survived.
13 DIGBY1840 – A very large enclosure with a very high iron railing around it, and a large convex recumbent stone but not placed in the centre of the plot , with this inscription. “SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF JOHN DIGBY OF OBERSTOWN LATE INCUMBENT OF THIS PARISH WHO FOR 16 YEARS SERVED HIS COUNTRY IN THE COMMISSION OF THE PEACE. HE WAS THE POOR MAN’S FRIENDAND BY PRECEPT AND EXAMPLE MAINTAINED HARMONY AMONGST HIS NEIGHBOURS WHO DIED ON THE 20th JAN. 1840 AGED 71 YEARS. BURIED HERE BY PERMISSION OF THE GILLFORD FAMILY . THIS STONE IS ERECTED TO MARK THE PLACE OF HIS REST BY HIS ELDEST SON SIMON. BEHOLD THE UPRIGHT: FOR THE END OF THAT MAN IS PEACE. PSALM 37 . 37
14) No name or date – Small cross with no inscription.
15) LYNAM1953-63 and the Moore Family – A small cross with IHS in its centre on a double base. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF THOMAS LYNAM CLONGALL DIED 19. JULY 1953. ALSO HIS WIFE MARGARET LYNAM DIED 4 MAY 1963. ALSO THE MOORE FAMILY CLONGALL. MY JESUS MERCY. ERECTED BY MRS. LYNAM AND FAMILY”.
16) DUNN 1810–12 – Notched top, full sunburst, cross and IHS, flanked by an urn with a fancy border around inscription. “ERECTED BY EDWARD DUNNE IN MEMORY OF HIS MOTHER MARGARET DUNN WHO DEPrtd THIS LIFE NOVEMbr 1ST 1810 AGED 65 YEARS AND OF HIS FATHER JAMES DUNNE WHO DEPrtd THIS LIFE MARCH THE 30d 1812 AGED 75 YEARS. REQUIESCANT IN PACE”.
South side of Church
17) O CIARDHA 1953-67 – Small low domed stone with a cross flanked on either side by flower petals. “A THIARNA DEAN TROCAIRE AR ANAMACHA A BHFUILL FAOIN LEACTH SEO SEAMAS NOLLAIGH O CIARDHA A D’EAG 18 NOLLAIG 1953 IN AOIS 20 BLIAN. MAIRE CAITRIONA BEANCEILE SHEAIN UI CHIARDHA O.S.A. D’EAG 28 MEITHEAMH 1956 IN AOIS 56 BLIANA MAIREAD BN UI CHIARDHA A D’EAG 22.2.67. A NAOMH A MHATHAIR DE GUIGH ORTHU UILE.
18) THOMKINSON 1864 – This is defined by 2 solid crosses of ornate design: a larger one at the head and a smaller one at the foot. On the east face of the smaller cross is “F.W.T. 1864” and on the west face of the larger cross is “IN MEMORY OF FRANCIS WILLIAM THONKINSON OF HARRISTOWN WHO DIED MAY 25th 1864 AGED 34 YEARS”.
19) CONGREVE 1896 – Nos. 19 and 20 are within the same curb and both stones are of the same design. Domed top with anchor in centre. “SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF KATHERINE DAUGHTER OF RICHARD CONGREVE OF BURTON HALL CHESHIRE BORN NOV. 6th 1817 DIED MARCH 20th 1896. A SUCCOURER OF MANY” Rom. 16.2. The font in the Church is in memory of Katherine Congreve.
20) LEWIS 1901-04 – “IN LOVING MEMORY OF THE REVEREND SAMUAL HENRY LEWIS FOR FIFTEEN YEARS INCUMBENT OF THIS PARISH WHO DIED SEP. 7TH 1901 IN THE 92nd YEAR OF HIS AGE AND THE 63rd YEAR OF HIS MINISTRY. ALSO OF HIS WIFE SOPHIA JANE LEWIS WHO FELL ASLEEEP IN JESUS JUNE 21st 1904 AGED 83 YEARS. ‘HER CHILDREN ARISE UP AND CALL HER BLESSED. SATISFIED WITH FAVOUR AND FULL WITH THE BLESSING OF THE LORDS’”.
21) BOR 1904-32 – Nos. 21, 22 & 23 constitute the Bor Family plot within a curb. No. 21 is in the form of a scroll. “IN MEMORY OF SARA E. BOR, TRUE AND LOVING WIFE OF T. HUMPHREY F. BOR WHO DIED AT EDENDERRYY ON THE 7th DAY OF JULY 1904. ‘FOR HE GIVETH HIS BELOVED SLEEP’. HER HUSBAND T. HUMPHREY F. BOR DIED 23 AUG. 1932”.
22) BOR 1931-65 – Inscription on scroll surrounded by roses. “EDWARD NORMAN CANENDISH BOR DIED SEPT. 27th 1931. AT REST”. “FETHERSON BRISCOE BOR DIED 8th OCT. 1965. FOR I KNOW THAT MY REDEEMER LIVETH”.
23) BOR 1878-1939 – High pillared tombstone capped by a small urn. Inscriptions on three faces of the stone. East fact—“SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF THOMAS BOR ESQ HARRISTOWN WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE 7th JUNE 1878 AGED 58 YEARS. ‘IN THY PRESENCE IS FULLNESS OF JOY: AT THY RIGHT HAND ARE TREASURES FOR EVERMORE 1 PS 16. 11. ALSO HIS WIFE MARY ELIZABETH BOR WHO DIED MAR. 16th 1908 AGED 82. THIS MONUMENT IS ERECTED BY HIS SORROWFUL FAMILY”. South face—“SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF MARGARET BOR WHO DIED FEB. 5th 1914 ‘CALLED AND CHOSEN AND FAITHFUL’. ALSO JOESPHINE SHIRLEY DIED AUG. 4th 1939. REST FROM OUR LABOUR”. North face – “SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF HELEN ELIZABETH MARY BOR THIRD DAUGHTER OF THOs AND MARY BOR WHO DIED JAN. 13th 1885 AGED 34. FOREVER WITH THE LORD. ALSO ARCHIBALD W.S. BOR THIRD SON OF THOs AND MARY BOR WHO DIED JAN. 3.1886 AGED 30. WITH CHRIST WHICH IS FAR BETTER”.
24) GILL 1914-43 – This is a large grave inside a curb and contains Nos. 24 and 25 which are small similar slabs. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF PAUL FAWCETT GILL DIED 27th JULY 1914 AGED 73 YEARS. ALSO HIS WIFE CHARLOTTE JANE (CHA) DIED 8th JULY 1943 AGED 82 YEARS”.
25) GILL 1961 – “IN LOVING MEMORY OF ALBERT F. GILL DIED 14th JUNE 1861. ALSO SUSAN T. GILL DIED 5th SEPT.1961”.
26) SMITH 1899 – 1931 & HANNAN 1858 &59 – Very tall plain stone with a draped urn on top. “IN AFFECTIONATE REMEMBERANCE OF LIZZIE BELOVED WIFE OF ROBERT H. SMITH STONEHOUSE WHO DIED 28th OCT. 1899 AGED 40 YEARS. ALSO ROBERT H. SMITH WHO DIED AT HARRISTOWN HOUSE 19th SEPT. 1931 AGED 72 YEARS. PRECIOUS IN THE SIGHT OF THE LORD IS THE DEATH OF HIS SAINTS”. On west face –“ SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF JOHN HANNAN BELOVED HUSBAND OF ELIZA HANNAN STONEHOUSE WHO DIED 23rd JAN. 1859. ALSO THEIR SON GEORGE WHO DIED JUNE 1858 AGED 4 MONTHS. THE LORD GAVE AND THE LORD HATH TAKEN AWAY BLESSED BE THE NAME OF THE LORD. JOB 1.21. IN LOVING MEMORY OF ELIZA HANNAN WHO FELL ASKEEP IN JESUS 29. MARCH 1907 AGED 77 YEARS”.
27) SMITH 1933 – Imitation rock ornamented with ivy, inscription on a scroll. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MY BELOVED HUSBAND GEORGE C SMITH OF HARRISTOWN HOUSE WHO DIED 31st OCT. 1933 AGED 48 YEARS. IN THY PRESENCE IS FULNESS OF JOY”
Headstones on south side of avenue.
28) GREHAN no date – Domed top with cross at top, painted gray. “GREHANS”. Cross in a square below.
29) NEWTON 1769 – Notched top, 2 spirals ending in 2 leaves. “THIS STONE IS ERECTED BY WILLIAM NEWTON IN MEMORY OF HIS WIFE MARY NEWTON WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE JUNE Ye 4.1769”.
30) LYNAM 1899-1929 & CONLON 1955 – Celtic cross on top of a plain slab with IHS in centre. “IN AFFECTIONATE REMEMBERANCE OF EDWARD LYNAM CASTLEJORDAN. BORN FEB. 15th 1828 DIED MAY 3rd 1900 AND HIS SON PATRICK BORN DEC. 17th 1875 DIED NOV. 28th 1899 ALSO CATHERINE LYNAM BORN 14TH JAN. 1838 DIED JAN. 1903. ALSO MARY LYNAM BELOVED WIFE OF THE ABOVE EDWARD LYNAM BORN MARCH 13th 1845 DIED JAN. 2nd.1926. THEIR SON JOHN BORN 3NOV. 1877 DIED 3 DEC. 1929. MRS. ELIZABETH CONLON DIED 29th MARCH 1955 AGED 82 YEARS R I P”.
Burnell at left bottom & Carrick at right.
31) HITCHCOCK 1737-72 – Notched top with a scallop shell in centre. “HERE LYETH THE BODY OF MR JAMES HITCHCOCK WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE OCTr THE 5th 1737 AGED 77 YEARS AND ALSO SUSANNA HIS WIFE. ALSO HIS SON DAN DIED MARCH 12.1 1772 AGED 74 YEARS. ALSO HIS
GRANDSON Jas DIED JUNE 1771 AGED 32”.
32) MC AULIFFE 1926-49 – Celtic type of cross with heart at centre. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF TIMOTHY McAULIFFE NATIONAL TEACHER CASTLEJORDAN DIED9. APRIL 1926 AGED 35 YEARS. ALSO SHIELA McAULIFFE DIED 5 FEB 1949 AGED 29 YEARS. R I P. MY JESUS MERCY. ERECTED BY HIS WIFE AND CHILDREN”. BURNELL CARRICK at right bottom.
33) MC CARTHY 1934-71 & BOYLE 1959 – Plain cross with heart and cross in centre. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF PATRICK McCARTHY WHO DIED 4 APRIL 1941 AGED 36. HIS WIFE ELLEN DIED 10. OCT. 1947 AGED 40. HIS FATHER THOMAS DIED 27 DEC. 1958 AGED 80. HIS MOTHER CHRISTINA DIED 17 AUG 1971 AGED 93. HIS SISTERS JOSEPHINE DIED 17 APRIL 1934 AGED 21. CHRISTINA DIED 2. AUG 1945 AGED 34 R I P. HIS AUNT ELIZABETH BOYLE DIED 1 JAN. 1959 AGED 82”. BURNELL at right bottom corner.
34) CUMISKEY 1914 – Fleur de lys at top. “IN MEMORY OF MICHAEL CUMISKEY DIED JUNE 1914. ALSO HIS MOTHER”. Burnell at left bottom corner and Carrick at right bottom.
35) ENNIS 1943-49 – Cross at top with shamrocks. Inscription on base. “ERECTED IN LOVING MEMORY OF BRIDGET ENNIS WHO DIED ON 13th FEB. 1943 AGED 78 YEARS. PATRICK ENNIS DIED NOV. 1949 AGED 85 Yrs”.
36) WALDREN 1774-79 – Notched top, cross and IHS flanked by 2 spirals. “ERECTED BY ELIZABETH WALDREN IN MEMORY OF HER FATHER ROBERT WALDREN WHO DIED FEBry Ye 20. 1774 AGED 68 YEARS, ALSO HER SISTER HANNAh KILLEN ALIS (the second A had been left out) WALDREN DIED DECbr 17. 1779 (this 9 is turned backwards) aged 34 Yrs. “A tiny scroll ends the line.
Headstones along the west side of graveyard.
37) Face down …
38) No name or date – This headstone is made of slate and ivy started to grow over it and recently some one pulled off some of the ivy and the outer layer of the slate came away also bringing with it the inscription; so we were unable to read it.
39) DENER 1771 – Notched top, a very small stone with a stylised 6- petalled rose on each side of a cross and IHS. “THIS MONUMENT WAS ERECTED BY WILLIAM DENER IN MEMORY OF HIS MOTHER CATHERINE DENER WHO DIED AUGUST. Ye 5th 1771 AGED 55 YEARS”.
40) DINELL 1796 – Large heavy stone tilting forward, with domed top scallop edging, central part chipped away, IHS and a winged cherub on each side with foliage. “ERECTED BY ANDREW DINELL IN MEMORY OF HIS WIFE ELINOR WARD WHO DEPth THIS LIFE YE 16 of AUGt 1796 AGd 32 Yrs”. Then we get a scroll and Resquiescant in Pace.
41) ROGERS 1855-1918 & PATTISON 1891 – A pyramid shaped large stone with inscription on east, north and south faces. East face- “ERECTED BY EDWARD ROGERS PARK IN MEMORY OF HIS PARENTS EDWARD ROGERS DIED 19th APRIL 1857 AGED 76. ANNE ROGERS DIED 17th MARCH 1855 AGED 73”. Below ‘THEM THAT SLEEP IN JESUS WILL GOD BRING WITH HIM’. I Thess. 4.14. North side “IN LOVING MEMORY OF EDWARD ROGERS WHO DIED 5th AUG. 1894 AGED 72 YEARS. ALSO HIS WIFE BARBARA DIED 29 DEC 1918 AGED 84 YEARS. FOR THE LORD WILL BEAUTIFY THE MEEK WITH SALVATION”. PS 149.4. South side. “JAMES PATTINSON DIED 4th DEC. 1891 AGED 84 YEARS. ALSO HIS WIFE BARBARA LINDSAY DIED 12th MARCH 1879 AGED 72 YEARS. THERE IS THEREFORE NOW NO CONDEMATION TO THEM WHICH ARE IN CHRIST JESUS”. Rom. 8.1.
42) KILLIAN 1919 – Ringed cross with heart in centre. “ERECTED BY DIRECTIONS OF THE LATE JOHN KILLIAN FORMERLY OF BALLINADRIMNA CO. MEATH WHO DIED 12th APRIL 1919 IN MEMORY OF HIS PARENTS JOHN AND MARGARET KILLIAN LATE OF CORBETSTOWN AND OF HIS BROTHERS AND SISTERS. R I. P”. Burnell at bottom lefthand corner and Carrick at right.
43) KILLEEN 1874-82 & MONAHAN 1914-34 – Very big slab surmounted by a solid cross. “IN AFFECTIONATE REMEMBERANCE OF MATHEW KILLEEN COLEHILL HOUSE WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE APRIL 8. 1874 AGED 72 YEARS. ALSO HIS WIFE ALICE KILLEEN DIED APRIL 1882 AGED 80 YEARS. MATTHEW T. MONAHAN DIED 12th JULY1914 AGED 37 YEARS. JOHN T. MONAHAN DIED 6th OCT. 1920 AGED 40 YEARS. ELIZABETH MONAHAN DIED 25th SEPT . 1932 AGED 83. JOHN J. MONAHAN DIED 15th JULY 1934 AGED 87. ERECTED BY HIS NEPHEW JOHN J. MONAHAN”. At bottom right corner KENNEDY.
44) LYNAM 1870-90 – This slate slab was lying down and Mr. Kenny turned it up. It is broken in 3 pieces and many small bits. Notched top with cross and IHS inside a sunburst, Gloria etc. around it, flanked on either side by a chalice. “SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF MICHL LYNAM WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE JANUARY …2th 18.. AGED …. YEARS. ERECTED BY HIS AFFECTIONATE WIFE”. In different later lettering “MARY LYNAM WHO DIED …. MARCH 1870 AGED ..0 YEARS ……. 1890 AGED …..
45) DOREN 1765 – Very much sunk in the ground. Notched top with cross and IHS in centre, and hourglass on each side. “THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY MEARY (this curious spelling of Mary) DOREN IN MEMORY OF HER HUSBAND JOHn DOREN WHO DEPARTED JUNE Ye 11th 1765 AGED 37 YEARS”.
46) Face down and too heavy to turn.
47) COLLINS 1785 – Large slab lying on the ground on its back with inscription uppermost. 2 hearts at top and 2 roses. “ERECTED BY SARAH COLLINS IN MEMORY OF HER HUSBAND ROBERT COLLINS LATE OF GAIR (OR GARR) WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE Ye 4th OCT. 1785 AGED 62 Yrs. ALSO THEIR SON ROBERT”.
48) COLLINS 1780 – A small rough fragment of stone with traces of an inscription on it “……AUGHTER COLLINS OF BO……….DEPARTED THIS L……17th OF JULY 1780”.
49) GILL 1862-80 – Nos. 49, 50, 51 & 52 are all Gill Headstones and within the same iron railing. 49 is a tabletomb on 4 pedestals but the slab with the inscription is not flat but raised in the centre. Inscriptions on south side—“TO THE MEMORY OF MICHAEL GILL WHO DIED 14 SEPTEMBER 1862 AGED 70 YEARS AND ALSO HIS SISTER SUSAN GILL WHO DIED 10th FEBRUARY AGED 65 YEARS. BOTH AT KILLURE WHERE THEY RESIDED FOR 40 YEARS. MUCH RESPECTED AND REGRETTED BY THEIR RELATIONS AND FRIENDS. AS A SLIGHT MARK OF LOVE AND REGARD THIS TOMBSTONE HAS BEEN PLACED BY THEIR NEPHEW H.M. GILL”. North Side – -“ALSO GEORGE GILL OF STONE HOUSE WHO DIED SEP. 1st 1880 AGED 82 YEARS. HIS NAME HAS BEEN PLACED ON THIS TOMB BY HIS AFFECTIONATE NIECE LIZZIE SMITH”
50) GILL 1837-62 – Ornamental peaked stone which was under ivy till we cleared it. “ERECTED BY H.M. GILL OF KILLURE IN REMEMBERANCE OF HIS FATHER HENRY GILL OF JAMES ST. DUBLIN WHO DIED ON THE 12th APRIL 1837 AGED 52 YEARS, AND HIS MOTHER SUSAN GILL WHO DIED ON 20th NOVEMBER 1862 AGED 77 YRS. ALSO HIS SISTER SUSAN LEWIS WHO DIED 16th JANUARY 1861 AGED 36 YEARS. ALSO HIS BROTHER THOs. GILL LATE GOVERNMENT PROVINCIAL ENGINEER OF THEPROVINCE OF HAWK’S BAY NEW ZEALAND WHO DIED AT EDENDERRY 10th OCTOBER 1862 AGED 46 YEARS, SHORTLY AFTER ARRIVAL FROM THE COLONY. THE LORD GAVE AND THE HATH TAKEN AWAY, BLESSED BY THE NAME OF THE LORD”. Job 1st C.21 V. “HERE ALSO IS INTERRED THE REMAINS OF HENRY MICHAEL GILL WHO DIED AT KILLURE ON 24th. MAY 1878 IN THE 46th YEAR OF HIS AGE. BE Ye ALSO READY FOR IN SUCH AN HOUR AS YOU THINK NOT THE SON OF MAN COMETH “ MATTHEW 24 C. 44 v. BURNELL CARRICK.
51) GILL 1908 – Directly in front of No. 50, this stone is similar to 49 except that it has no pedestals. North side “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MY DEAR MOTHER HENRIETTA GILL KILLURE WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE 6th DEC. 1908 AGED 73 YEARS.” South side – – “PEACE PERFECT PEACE.”
52) GILL 1813 – Domed top, Chalice in centre, foliage at each side. “ERECTED BY ELIZABETH GILL IN MEMORY OF HER HUSBAND THOMAS GILL WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE DECEMBER THE 29. 1813 AGED 56 YEARS”.
53) HOULAGHAN 1775 – Small stone sunk in the ground with a notched top, and a small scroll on either side. “PRAY FOR THE SOUL OF ELIZA HOULAGHAN WHO DIED NOVbr 11TH 1775 AGED 77 YEARS ALSO TWO OF HER GRANDCHILDREN. ERECTED BY CONNER HOULAGHAN HER SON”.
54) No name or date – A fragment of stone much buried in the ground with part of an inscription. Cross and IHS “….. STONE AND ….. IAL PLACE….. ETH TO ……… NEY AND…… AN…… HIS……
55) SAUNDERSON 1931-63 – White marble domed slab with ivy design. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF ROBERT SAUNDERSON GRANGE EDENDERRY DIED 14th SEPTEMBER 1931 AGED 65 YEARS. ALSO HIS BELOVED WIFE JANE DIED 6th JUNE 1941 AGED 78 YEARS. ALSO THEIR ELDEST SON SAMUEL GEORGE DIED 1st FEBRUARY 1963 AGED 75 YEARS. BLESSED ARE THE PURE IN HEART FOR THEY SHALL SEE GOD”. ROBINS BROS on left side at bottom and PARTARLINGTON at right.
56) TYRRELL 1767 – Notched top with an hourglass and crossbones in a circle, flanked by roses. “THIS IS ERECTED BY MARY TURRELL IN MEMORY OF HER (his’ was first carved and on finding out that it was wrong ‘her’ was carved on top of ‘his’) HUSBAND PHILL TYRRELL WHO DEPARTED AUGt 28th Ye 1767 aged 66 Yrs”.
57) HAMMON 1740 – Notched top, cross and IHS with a spiral on each side. “THIS WAS ERECTED BY CHRISTOPHER HAMMON IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER JOHN HAMMON WHO DIED NObr Ye 10th 1740 AGED 65 Yrs”.
58) BOLAN 1747 – Cross and IHS, 2 small spirals, domed top and much sunk in the ground. “THIS IS ERECTED BY JOHN BOLAN IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER MARGAN BOLAN WHO DIED APRIL Ye 9th 1747AGED 70 YEARS”. A scroll completes the line.
59) KEENAHAN 1880-86 – Peaked stone. “ERECTED BY BRIDGET KENNAHAN IN MEMORY OF HER HUSBAND WHO DIED JULY 14th 1880 AGE 72. ALSO HER SON THOMAS DIED JAN. 31st.1886 AGED 29”.
60) HICKEY 1787 – Domed top, cross and IHS in centre of top with foliage and a small circle on each side ( do they represent the sun and moon?) ERECTd BY DENIS HICKEY IN MEMORY OF HIS WIFE ANN HICKEY WHO DEPTd THIS LIFE SEPTr Ye 2d 1787 AGED 28 Yrs AND HER POSTERITY WHO HERE LYETH: MAY THE REST IN PACE”. The last sentence should be ‘ May They Rest In Peace’.
61) MARTIN 1904-65 – Solid celtic type of cross with a Maltese cross in its centre. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF JOHN MARTIN CLONMORE DIED 2 MAY 1953 AGED 77. HIS WIFE ANNE DIED APRIL 1916 AGED 40. THEIR CHILDREN MARY MARTIN DIED 1904 AGED 1. MARGARET DIED 1913 AGED 7. THOMAS DIED 15 JAN. 1933 AGED 32. PATRICK DIED 11. Mar. 1965 AGED 45 R I P. ERECTED BY ELIZABETH MOONEY & JOHN MARTIN”.
62) COLGAN 1791-92 – Domed top with cross and IHS and foliage. “LORD HAVE MERCY ON THE SOUL OF BRIDGET COLGAN WHO DEPd THIS LIFE DEC. 21st 1791 AGED 37 YEARS. ALSO JOSEPH COLGAN WHO DEPd MARCH 29th 1792 AGd 79. ERECd BY PATRICK COLGAN.”
MONTGOMERY 1911-27 – Celtic cross seated on a double base with a heart in the centre. ‘FIAT VOLUNTAS TUA’ (Thy will be done) on shaft of cross. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF WILLIAM MONTGOMERY WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE 14th APRIL 1911 AGED 78 YEARS. R I P. HIS WIFE SARAH MONTGOMERY DIED 6th APRIL 1927 AGED 83. THEIR SON RICHARD MONTGOMERY DIED 12th FEB. 1927 AGED 39. ERECTED BY HIS WIFE AND CHILDREN”.
64) GILL 1780 – Domed top with heart in centre. “ERECTED BY ANN GILL IN MEMORY OF HER HUSBAND GARRET GILL WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE APRIL 4th AGED 68 Yrs”.
65) LYNAM 1889-1937 – Celtic cross with a small cross in centre. “ERECTED BY JOHN LYNAM BALLYFORE IN LOVING MEMORY OF HIS WIFE MARY WHO DIED 28th MARCH 1928. MARY ANN DIED JULY 1889. ALSO HIS PARENTS AND CHILDREN, JOHN LYNAM DIED 24 AUG. 1937 AGED 91. “Below ‘SACRED HEART OF JESUS HAVE MERCY ON THEM’. Burnell Carrick at right bottom.
66) CAREW 1904 – Similar type of stone to Thomkinson No. 18. “IN MEMORY OF JOHANA CAREW YOUNGER DAUGHTER OF LAURENCE CAREW WHO DIEDON THE 23rd AUG. 1904”.
67) CAREW 1915 – Celtic cross. “IN MEMORY OF THOMAS MAURICE CAREW BORN APRIL 1840 DIED AUGUST 1915 R I P”.
68) CAREW 1813 – This large recumbent slab is directly in front of No. 67. 2 crosses above inscription, first cross has over it…. CRUX MIHI SALUS (the cross to me is salvation). Above the second cross on a scroll we get – – IN HOC SIGNA VINCIS ( in this sign thou shalt conquer i.e. the cross. This was the motto of Constantine The Great).
“SUB HOC MORMORI QUOD IN PARENTUM AMORE THOMAS MAURICE CAREW ESQr ERIGI CURAVIT MAURICE CAREW & MARIA BERMINGHAM PARENTIS EJUS CARISSINI ET FRATRES DESIDERATISSIMI JACOBUS ET JOHANES NEC NON EJUS SORORES JANE ET ANNA SEPELIUNTUR
JAHANNES XII – – – – SEPTEMB A D MDCCCXIII LIBRE MALIGNA CORREPTUS SPIRITUM EFFLAVIT COREBS ET IMMATURU EHEU TRES EJUSDEM DOMUS MORBO BODEM GRAVI ABLATI FUERANT JOHANES CAREW PROTESTANTI HUMANITATE ET BENE OLENTIA ERAT PAUPERES SOLAMEN IMMISERUS AB OCULIS EUM RAPTUM NUNC IDEFIENT HIBERNICUS AMOR PATRIOC PER VITAM IN PECTORE PROE ALIIS VIGEBAT ETIAM IN MORT EXAMINE NECDUM DISCESSERAT”.
Then we get 3 lines in very iNdestinct English which may be “GENTLY WAFTING TO ETERNAL LIFE AFTER RESURRECTION SHALL NO DAY LONGER WAIT TILL WE MEET AGAIN.
English Translation:- Under this memorial which Thomas Maurice Carew Esqr. erected in loving memory of his Parents Maurice Carew and Maria Berminghm, and his dear and departed brothers, James & John and his sisters Jane and Anne are buried, also John died on 12th Sept. 1813. Having been seized by a malignancy freely gave up his spirit – – and immature. Three of the same house were carried off by the same disease. John Carew was a man of outstanding humanity, was the poor’s sweet solace. He is gone from our sight. An Irishman, he cultivated love of his fatherland in his breast throughout his life and also for others. Even in death he is not gone from us.
69) CAREW 1870-1903 – At the foot of No. 68 facing west. A cross in a sunken panel and a Chalice on east side with a triangular pediment. “LAURENCE CAREW OBIT 26th AUG. 1870 AGED 80 YEARS. ANNE CAREW OBIT 18th JULY 1886 AGED 73 YEARS. JAMES LAURENCE CAREW YOUNGEST SURVIVING SON OF LAURENCE CAREW WHO DIED ON THE 30th AUGUST 1903.
70) CAREW 1903 – Similar to Thomkinson No. 18. “MATILDA CAREW NEE O’GORMAN WIFE OF THOMAS M. CAREW DIED JUNE 21st 1903”.
71) CONLON 1849-1940 – Solid cross with lamb and cross in middle. “ERECTED BY WALTER CONLON IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER MOTHER AND BROTHER. HIS BROTHER EDWARD DIED MARCH 1849. AGED 21 YEARS. HIS FATHER EDWARD DIED APRIL 5th 1865 AGED 68. AND HIS MOTHER BRIDGET DIED APRIL 1869 AGED 77. WALTER CONLON DIED 20th JAN. 1894 AGED 72 Yrs. CATHERINE CONLON DIED 13th JAN 1918 AGED 84 Yrs. PATRICK CONLON DIED 2nd MAR. 1940 AGED 75 Yrs. MAY THEY REST IN PEACE”.
72) CARUN 1729-76 – Notched top, cross and IHS, spiral at each side. “HERE LYETH YE BODY OF MAURICE CARUN (presumably Carew is meant later in this inscription Cauroon is used) WHO DIED JULY Ye 24th 1729 AGED 60 YEARS. ALSO HIS SON THOMAS CAUROON WHO DEPd THIS LIFE Ye 28th 1776 AGED 77 Yrs”.
73) CAREW 1915 – Similar to Thomkinson No. 18. “IN MEMORY OF BERNARD WILLIAM CAREW BORN AUGUST 1843 DIED FEBRUARY 1915”.
74) CONLON 1927 – Celtic cross with small heart in centre. “SACRED HEART OF JESUS HAVE MERCY ON THE SOUL OF EDWARD CONLON CLONMORE DIED 19th JUNE 1927 AGED 70 YEARS R I P”.
75) PAYNE 1810 – Large stone broken and only half remains lying on the ground. Notched top. Large ornamented Chalice at centre of top and a smaller one on each side. Incised frame around carving and inscription. “ERECTED BY SAMUEL PAYNE OF BALLINDOLAN IN MEMORY OF HIS DAUGHTER MARTHA PAYNE WHO DEPd THIS LIFE JULY 17th 1810 AGED 2 1 YEARS”.
76) CODD No date – A large stone with rounded top leaning backwards. 2 plants in pots with a rectangle between them (could it be an altar? ). A vine trail around carving and inscription. “THE BURIAL PLACE OF WALTER CODD AND FAMILY”.
77) MC NAMARA no date – Heart shaped white marble stone within concrete surround. “TO THE MEMORY OF ROSE MARY McNAMARA AND THE McNAMARA FAMILY OF PARK AND COLEHILL RIP”.
78) MC NAMARA 1776 – Old stone with notched top sunk in the ground. Cross and IHS at central top and scroll on either side. “ERECTED BY MARGARET McNAMARA IN MEMORY OF HER HUSBAND DENNIS McNAMARA WHO DIED MARCH Ye 1776 AGED 55 YRS”
79) MAC NAMARA 1747 – Small stone with notched top, sunk in the ground, cross and IHS at central top and scroll on either side. “THIS IS ERECTED BY ELIZA DAWSON IN MEMORY OF HER HUSBAND JOHN MacNAMARA EHO DIED SEPbr Ye 8th 1747 AGED 60 YEARS”.
80) ROGERS 1778 – Thick stone, top broken off and only part of inscription remains. “R. McNAMARA IN MEMORY OF HIS WIFE JANE McNAMARA ALIS ROdGERS WHO DEPARTED……. DECbr Ye 20th 1778 AGED 38 Yrs THE LORd HAVE MERCY ON HER SOUL”.
81) MC NAMARA 1767 – Small stone with notched top, cross and IHS with heart and one barb underneath. On viewer’s left is a pincers and on right an hourglass. An ornamental flower on each side of the heart. Long S used in this inscription. “THIS WAS ERECTED BY WILLIAM McNAMARA IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER JAMES McNAMARA DIEd Ye YEAR 1767 AGED 76 YRs”.
Headstones behind the church.
82) O’TOOLE 1950 – Celtic type cross in curb with heart at centre. “MY JESUS HAVE MERCY” on a scroll on the shaft. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF PETER O’TOOLE CASTLEJORDAN DIED 13 NOV. 1950 AGED 73 Yrs. R I P”. At bottom Burnell.
83) COONEY 1929–51 – Simple cross ornamented with ivy leaves. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MRS ANNE COONEY WHO DIED 4 FEB. 1951 AGED 68 YRS. HER HUSBAND MICHAEL DIED 8 OCT 1929 AGED 58 YRS. ST. ANTHONY PRAY FOR HER.
84) MC CANN 1958 – Simple cross with a Crucifix above. Inscription in an inset behind glass. “IN FOND REMEMBERANCE OF LILLY McCANN KILLISKILLEN MILLTOWNPASS M……CO. WESTMEATH WHO DIED ON THE 16th APRIL 1958 AGED 131/2 YEARS R I P”. Part of the address can’t be read as it is behind a crack in the glass.
85) HAUGHTON 1813 – Large recumbent slab broken into two pieces. “BENEATH MOULDERS THE REMAINS OF JOHN HAUGHTON ESQr WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE THE 13th MARCH IN THE 19 YEAR OF HIS AGE. MILD BENEVOLENCE FAITHFUL FRIENDSHIP AND SPOTLESS INTEGRITY RENDERED HIM BELOW IN THIS WORLD UNAFFECTED ……. AND UNOSTENTATIOUS CHARITY FITTED HIM FOR HAPPINESS. THIS MONUMENT WAS ERECTED IN JUSTICE TO HIS MEMORY BY HIS AFFECTIONATE AND AFFLICTED WIDOW”.
86) TYRRELL & HAUGHTON 1853-1944 – Plain rectangular slab. “HERE LIE THE REMAINS OF GARRETT TYRRELL OF BALLINDERRY BORN JULY 12th 1812 DIED DEC. 12th 1853 AND OF HIS WIFE MARY ANNE DAUGHTER OF JOHNATHAN HAUGHTON BORN APRIL 14. 1821 DIED OCT. 13. 1894 AND OF THEIR CHILDREN HARRIET AMELIA HAUGHTON BORN NOV. 7th 1840 DIED JULY 28th 1868. MARY ANNE JANE BORN OCT.10th 1842 DIED JAN. 1st 1847. CAROLINE SUSAN BORN MAY 22nd. 1845 DIED OCT. 3rd 1846. AND ALSO OF JONATHAN HAUGHTON TYRELL OF BALLINDOOLIN BORN DEC. 19 1862 DIED MARCH 27. 1933 AND HIS WIFE ELIZABETH TYRELL OF WESTON ONTARIO CANADA WHO DIED 13th DEC. 1944”.
87) HAUGHTON 1835 – Large box tomb much broken. “HERE LIES THE REMAINS OF ED. HAUGHTON ESQr WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE THE 24th SEPTr 1835 AGED 76 YRS. THIS TOMB WAS ERECTED TC HIS MEMORY BY HIS AFFECTIONATE WIFE ALICE HAUGHTON”.
88) HANDY 1890 – A very large family enclosure with cement curb and iron railings around it. There are 2 inscribed headstones and 3 with only a name on them. First we will take No. 88 a simple cross on a stepped base. “WHO CAN HINDER HIM. IN LOVING MEMORY OF ORME WILLIAM HANDY J P PARK HOUSE DIED AUGUST 24th 1890 AGED 50 YEARS”. 3 simple small stones with the following names …. Jane Florence Handy, Ralph Richardson Handy & Mary Handy.
89) HANDY 1863-83 – Recumbent slab in the Handy enclosure with on its south face “UNDERNEATH ARE THE REMAINS OF ALEXANDER KINGSTON HANDY PARK HOUSE ESQ J P WHO DIED AUG. 16TH 1883 AGED 75 YEARS. ALSO RALPH R. HANDY REGIMENT OF FOOT DIED JAN. 21ST. 1880 AGED 38 YEARS. A LOVING HUSBAND A PARENT A JUST MAN. AT REST”. On north face “SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF MARY RICHARDSON HANDY DEARLY BELOVED WIFE OF ALEXANDER KINGSTON HANDY WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE OCT. 22ND. 1869 AGED 65 YEARS. ALSO OF HER ONLY DAUGHTER JANE FLORENCE WHO DIED APRIL 29TH 1863 AGED 17 YEARS. AND OF HER YOUNGEST SON ALEXANDER KINGSTON WHO DIED AT LUZ IN THE SOUTH OF FRANCE AUG. 3RD 1864 AGED 19 YEARS. THIS TOMB IS ERECTED BY HER SORROWING HUSBAND AND SURVIVING SONS AS A MEMORIAL OF A BELOVED WIFE AND MOTHER, SISTER AND BROTHER, WHOSE EARLY LOSS THEY CAN NEVER CEASE TO DEPLORE. ‘FATHER! WILL THAT THEY ALSO WHOM THOU HAST GIVEN ME, BE WITH ME WHERE I AM: THAT THEY MAY BEHOLD MY GLORY’. ST. JOHN 17 C 24 V”,