GALLOW GRAVEYARD CO. MEATH HEADSTONES AND INSCRIPTIONS
Recorded by Dr. Beryl F. E. Moore & M.L. Kenny 1975.
GALLOW GRAVEYARD is situated on the righthand side of a green lane (230 yards from the road) which branches off the western side of the Summerhill-Kilcock road. It used to be a pleasant walk up to this rarely visited Cemetery but now it is almost impassable as it is wet, dirty and bogged by cattle. This lane really was the old roadway to the Castle of Gallow which was only a short distance past the Graveyard. The 6 inch map of the Ordnance Survey of 1835-6 and its revised map of 1909 show the Castle as ‘in ruins’.
GALLOW CHURCH is of the nave-chancel type with a wall dividing them but the chancel arch is completely gone. The chancel measures 14½ ft wide by 25½ long but a wider wall is still to be seen outside on the south side and the present narrower wall built on top of it.
GALLOW HOUSE is only a few hundred feet to the north-west and the family of Maher lived there for several years in the early and mid portion of last century and they seem to have turned the front two-thirds of the chancel into a mortuary surround for the Maher Family when divine worship ceased to be performed in this little church.
THE EAST WINDOW was filled in and a Maher tablet placed on top of it.
THE NAVE is 33 ft long and the same width as the chancel but nothing of these walls survive except impressions in the grass. There were north and south doors into the nave.
GALLOW GRAVEYARD is oval…. 42 yards north-south and 59 yards east-west and seems to have been constructed on top of a small hill fort. Some of its fosse and ditch still remains to be seen and outside is a retaining wall presumably built when it was claimed as a Church and Graveyard. The whole Graveyard is a considerable height above the top of the wall and looks down on the neighbouring countryside. All the graves are on top of the fort and none on its sides.
Headstones in the Chancel
1) MAHER TABLETOMB …. This very heavy big slab now lies against the east wall of the church and its 6 well carved pedestal stones lie in different parts of the chancel. Apparently it originally stood where the alter would have been when the church was in use for Divine Worship that is in a north-south position. It is a massive stone measuring 87 ins long by 43 ins wide and 7½ ins thick. At the top is a cross with expanded ends on 5 steps and ‘GLORIA IN EXCELS DEO’ below. The inscription reads “UNDERNEATH LIE TE REMAINS OF WILLIAM MAHER OF GALLOW. HE WAS BORN IN THE YEAR 1779 & HAVING DISCHARGED IN THE MOST EXEMPLARY MANNER ALL THE DUTIES OF A CHRISTIAN LIFE, HE DIED
FULL OF HOPE OF A BLESSED IMMORTALITY THRO THE MERITS OF OUR SAVIOUR IN THE 58TH YEAR OF HIS AGE ON THE 2ND OF JULY 1837. HIS DISINTERESTED EXERTIONS TO PROMOTE THE PUBLIC GOOD, HIS GENEROUS CHARITY IN RELIEVING THE POOR, HIS JUDICIOUS ZEAL IN SUSTAINING THE OPRESSED, RENDERED HIM BELOVED AND ESTEEMED BY ALL WHO KNEW HIM”. At bottom…MAY HE REST IN PEACE.
2) MAHER & POWER …This tablet is let into the east wall over the blocked-up east window and measures 2 ½ ft long by 1½ ft wide and is ornamented by a very small cross on each side of the inscription. These crosses also have expended ends. “OF YOUR CHARITY PRAY FOR THE SOUL OF WILLIAM MAHER, ROSANNA POWER AND MARY ANNE MAHER WHOSE REMAINS ARE INTERRED WITHIN THIS ENCLOSURE”. R I P at bottom. Below the tablet on the east wall itself is “ERECTED A D 1858”.
South side of Graveyard
3) HUGHES … Upright stone of very old heavy type with 3 notches on top. A full sunburst around a cross IHS and heart pierced by 2 barbs. An elavorate 8-petalled rose at each side. A vine is carved at each side of the inscription forming a frame around it. ‘GLORIA ETC’ at top and them “ERECTED BY NEALE HUGHES IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER AND MOTHER. ALSO TWO OF HIS SISTERS APRIL 6th 1810”.
4) GROGAN … Plain stone with cross carved in centre above inscription. “ERECTED BY MRS BRIDGET ENNIS IN MEMORY OF HER MOTHER JULIA GROGAN DIED 13 AUGUST 1872. FATHER MATTHEW GROGAN DIED 21 MAY 1873. HER BROTHERS PHILIP DIED 6 AUGUST 1916, JOHN DIED MARCH 1922”. R I P below.
5) HUGHES ..Small old stone only a few inches out of the ground and uncovered by us. Only 15 ins wide. Half sunburst at top with cross IHS and heart. “THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY JNo GAYNOR IN MEMORY OF HIS MOTHER ANN HUGHES Who DIED JUNE 7TH 1756 AGED 61 YEARS”.
6) DUNN … This is a very large slab lying on the ground which measures 95 ins by 45ins and almost completely covered by grass and clay until we discovered and cleaned it. It appears to have been an upright headstone with a stopper stone on each side but a yew tree has grown up very close to it and finally caused it to fall. At top we get a cherub with outstretched wings, and a cross and IHS inside an 8-sided frame with bluebell- like flowers on each side. “LAUGHLIN DUNN DIED 1670 AGED 96. HIS SON TIM DIED 1717 AGED 52 AND 5 OF JOHN’S BROTHERS AND 2 SISTERS”. This is the oldest headstone we found in Gallow.
7) PORTAL DOLMEN STONE.
8) BOYLAN … Very plain thick stone (10 ins thick) tilting forward with full sunburst cross IHS and heart. THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY ANDREW BOYLAN IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER DANIEL BOYLAN WHO DEPARTd THIS LIFE DECEMBER 19TH 1776 AGED 82. ALSO THREE OF HIS CHILDREN”.
9) McMULLEN …Very old looking moss-covered stone which was nearly under the grass. Cross IHS and sunburst have almost disappeared. A finely carved chalice on each side. “THIS STONE (the long s is used) ERECTED BY JAMES McMULLAN OF AUGHER TO THE MEMORY OF HIS FATHER ALEXANDr McMULLAN WHO DEPd THIS LIFE MARCH 11TH 1795 AGd 57 YEARS. AND HIS BROTHER ALEXANDER McMULLAN WHO DEPd THIS LIFE 1793 A…..”There is some flaking down here and so we can’t read any more.
10) DONOHUE …Small plain stone with cross at top. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MOTHER JANE DONOHUE WHO DIED 7TH JULY 1906 AGED 64 YEARS R I P. ERECTED BY HER DAUGHTER THERESA”.
11) MULLIGAN …A beautiful stone with some very interesting carving found under a couple of trees which in the course of time broke it into 2 pieces. The carving is on the upper piece and the inscription on the lower piece. At the top we get a Crucifixion our Lord having upright head straight arms and straight legs. He wears a loincloth and the nail hole in each hand is clearly to be seen. Unfortunately the feet are missing. St. John and the Blessed Virgin kneel one on each side, and each has a large pair of wings and their arms across their chest. There is something on the left side of the Body (viewer’s right) which we think may be a towel knotted in the middle. INRI is on top of the Cross. The stone has a raised edge all round it and between the carving and inscription is a wide band of flowers. The first half of the inscription is just where the stone is broken across and so can’t be completely read. “ERECTED BY THOMAS MULLIGAN IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER…..MULLIGAN WHO DIED JAN. THE 18TH 1780 AGED……..AND HIS MOTHER BRIDGET MULLIGAN DIED DECEMBER 9TH 1770 AGED 68 AND TWO OF HIS DAUGHTERS BRIDGET AND MARGARET WHO DIED YOUNG. HERE ALSO LIEs HIS BELOVED WIFE ANN MULLIGAN WHO DIED APRIL THE 23RD 1829 AGED 76 YEARS”.
12) CONNELL …This headstone is covered in yellow lichen. The carving represents clasped hands in a wreath and there are flowers on each side. “ERECTED BY BRIDGET CONNELL OF GALLOW IN AFFECTIONATE REMEMBERANCE OF HER PARENTS NICHOLAS AND KATE CONNELL AND OF HER BROTHER STEPHEN AND SISTER KATE”. Lower down “ON WHOSE SOULS SWEET JESUS HAVE MERCY AMEN. BRIDGET CONNELL DIED DECEMBER 25TH 1899 AGED 75 YEARS”.
13) DUFFY…No date. A granite stone with a ringed cross and IHS in centre. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF WILLIAM DUFFY AND HIS WIFE BRIDGET DUFFY ERECTED BY HIS DAUGHTER MARY DUFFY R I P”.
14) MOORE …A very large ringed cross with its house like cap on top. A spray of holly is carved at the ends of the limbs and holly and berries all down the shaft. Heart and cross in centre and inscription on front of base. PRAY FOR THE SOUL OF JOHN MOORE WHO DIED 29TH SEPT. 1907 AGED 81 YEARS AND HIS WIFE CATHERINE DIED 16TH MARCH 1895 AGED 64. ALSO THEIR SON JOHN DIED 1TH JUNE 1877 AGED 14 R I P. ERECTED IN LOVING MEMORY BY THEIR CHILDREN”. On north side of base “AND THEIR SON THOMAS DIED OCT. 23 1936 AGED 75”. At base of this side BURNELL CARRICK.
15) ENNIS … Iron cross set in cement block. “ERECTED IN LOVING MEMORY OF JACKIE ENNIS DIED 13TH MAY 1955. ALSO HIS PARENTS JOHN DIED 1ST AUGUST 1957 MARY 6TH SEPTEMBER 1944 R I P”. This inscription is on a metal scroll.
16) WARREN …Very much sunk in the ground and tilting forward. An old heavy type of stone. Around top we get ‘GLORY BE TO GOD ON HIGH’, cross IHS and small heart underneath. “HERE LIES THE BODY OF JOHN WARREN WHO DEPARTED Ye 14 OF JULY 1755 AGED 54 YEARS. ALSO HIS WIFE MARGARET WHO DEPARTd Ye 12TH OF AUGUST 1767 AGED 52 YEARS. This stone is …..”the rest is under ground.
17) TAGAN …Small cross with shamrocks carved here and there on it. “SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF ANDY TAGAN WHO DIED 7TH JANUARY 1872 AGED 77 YEARS”. At bottom…’ERECTED BY CAPt J.N. BOMFORD’.
18) RICHARDSON …Scroll-like carving around top of this tall narrow stone which is almost prone on the ground with the inscription underneath. In centre top is a lamb lying on a cross with ‘ECCE AGNUS DEI’ above it. “ERECTED BY JOHN RICHARDSON OF AGHER IN MEMORY OF HIS BELOVED MOTHER MRS MARGARET RICHARDSON WHO DIED 13TH JUNE 1861 AGED 77 YEARS”.
19) DUNN …Completely under a couple of large yew trees is to be found this very large upright stone notched at top with a fine chalice carved on each side and in the centre a lamb on a cross with ‘ECCE AGNUS DEI’ around it. “ERECTED BY MRS BRIGID DUNNE OF BRANGANSTOWN TO THE MEMORY OF HER BELOVED HUSBAND MICHAEL DUNNE WHO DEPAARTED THIS LIFE 26TH MARCH 1851 AGED 74 YEARS. HERE ALSO ARE INTERRED TWO OF THEIR CHILDREN ANNE AND ROSE WHO DIED YOUNG. BENEATH ALSO BE THE REMAINS OF THE ABOVE MRS BRIDGET DUNNE WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE 10TH JUNE 1866 AGED 75 YEARS AND OF THEIR DAUGHTER BRIDGET WHO DIED 16TH JUNE 1866 AGED 34 YEARS”.
20) DUNN …Also completely under a couple of yew trees is this plain stone with a rounded top, full sunburst surrounding a cross IHS and a little heart. On each side is a dove with an olive leaf in her mouth and tulips carved underneath her. “THIS MEMORIAL WAS ERECTED BY JOSEPH DUNN (here spelt without the final E) FOR HIS POSTERITY. HIS FATHER PATRICK DUNN DIED SEPTr 10TH 1772 AGED 60 YEARS. ALSO HIS MOTHER MARY DUNN ALIAS ENNIS DIED DECr 10TH 1788 AGED 56 YEARS. At bottom ‘MAY THEY REST IN PEACE AMEN’.
21) ENNIS … Small upright stone covered in ivy when we first saw it. goes up to a peak in centre top and has a flaming heart & cross. There is a raised ridge around the inscription.”IN MEMORY OF PATRICK ENNIS DIED 8TH JUNE 1878 AGED 60 YEARS. AND HIS WIFE CATHERINE DIED 27TH JANy 1907 AGED 79 YEARS. ALSO THEIR SON MICHAEL DIED 19TH SEPt 1898 40 YEARS”. At bottom FARRELL & SON GLASNEVIN.
22) GALLAGHER …Much sunk in the ground and tilting forward and only about half of it above ground and covered in ivy and moss. It is a large stone rounded at the top with full sunburst and cross IHS and heart within it. A rose is carved on each side. “ERECTED BY ANNE GALLAGHER IN MEMORY OF HER MOTHER CHRISTIANA GALLAGHER WHO DIED 4TH MARCH 1804 AGED 44 YEARS. OF HER FATHER THOs GALLAGHER WHO DIED 16TH JANUARY 1814 AGED 63 YEARS. OF HER BROTHER MATTHEW WHO DIED 18TH JULY 1841 AGED 47 YEARS. ALSO OF HER BROTHER THOMAS WHO DIED IN FEBy 1844 AGED 45 YEARS”.
23) BRENNAN …Very plain old stone hardly dressed at all and tilting backwards. A tulip on each side, a half sunburst with cross IHS and heart with 3 barbs. “HERE LIETH THE BODY OF MARY BRENNAN ALIAS HANLAN WHO DIEd FEBRUARY Ye 1ST 1759 AGED 52 YEARS ALSO HER SON MICHL BRn DIED NOVEMbr THE 5TH 1767 AGED 34 YEARS ALSO HER HUSBAND THOmas DIED MAY Ye 1ST 1776 AGd 82 YEARS”.
24) CONNOLLY …A big stone covered in yellow lichen with full sunburst around a lamb on a cross and ‘ECCE AGNUS DEI’ around the top outside the sunburst. A nice fancy scroll with Sacred above inscription “SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF MR M. CONNELLY OF BALLINTOGHER WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE SEPTr 21ST 1865 AGED 74 YEARS. ALSO HIS BELOVED DAUGHTER MARY WHO JANy 17TH 1860 AGED 28 YEARS”.
25) REV. JAMES McEVER …This stone faces west to show this Priest was buried facing his congregation. It is much sunk in the ground and tilting forward so that it is very hard to read. ‘GLORIA’ etc around top. Full sunburst with chalice in centre under it and on each side of it a cherub with wings outspread. Below the chalice is a cross HIS and a barb. MEMENTO on the right and MORI on the left. A row of diamond-shaped lozenges and then the inscription. “THIS STONE WAS ERECTd BY MRS ALICE LYNHAM IN MEMORY OF HER UNCLE REVd JAMES McEVER RECTOR OF LARACOR AND GALLO 26 Yrs DEPARTED THIS LIFE 30TH SEPT 1787 AGED 60 Yrs”.
26) McKEEVER … This stone faces the correct way (east) and is within a foot of the Revd McEver’s grave. It is much sunk in the ground and has a scroll on each side and a cross and IHS in the middle. “HERE LYETH Ye BODY OF EDWARD McKEEVER WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE Ye 16TH OF 9br 1745 AGED 54 YEARS & Ye LORD HAVE MERCY ON HIS SOUL. THIS ERECTED BY HIS WIFE MARGERY McKEEVER ALIAS GREHAN”. Could ‘9br’ mean September the ninth month? This was a very difficult stone to read.
27) LYNHAM …This is a large stone tilting to left with ‘GLORIA’ etc around top of a full sunburst; cross IHS and heart with 2 barbs inside the sunburst. MEMENTO on left and MORI on right. Yellow lichen covers the stone. “THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY Mr THOMAS LYNHAM ST. JAMES’S STREET IN THE CITY OF DUBLIN IN MEMORY OF HIS DEAR BELOVED PARENTS. HERE LIETH THE BODY OF HIS MOTHER Mrs CATHERINE LYNHAM WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE THE 16TH OF NOVr 1775 AGED 38 YEARS. HERE ALSO LIETH THE BODY OF HIS FATHER Mr CHRISTOPHER LYNHAM OF THOMAS ST. WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE THE 15TH OF JANy 1779 AGED 46 YEARS. HERE LIETH TWO OF THEIR CHILDREN WHO DIED YOUNG. HERE ALSO LIETH THE BODY OF HIS DEAR BELOVED MRS BRIDGET LYNHAM WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE THE 12TH OF OCTr 1786 AGED 20 YEARS”. At bottom ‘REQUIESCANT IN PACE’.
28) MORAN …A large stone covered in yellow lichen, notched on top and tilting to left. ‘GLORIA’ etc around top. Full sunburst around cross IHS and small heart. MEMENTO on left and MORI on right. “BENEATH THIS STONE AND BESIDE HIS UNCLE THE REVEREND JAMES McEVER LIES INTERRED MICHAEL MORAN OF PILL LANE DUBLIN WHO DIED THE 26TH DAY OF APRIL 1790 AGED 25 YEARS. SACRED TO HIS BELOVED AND LAMENTED MEMORY AND TO IMPLORE THE PRAYERS OF THE FAITHFUL THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY HIS MOTHER HANNAH MORAN OF ORMOND QUAY A D 1795”.
29) MURN … Large very wide stone notched at tip with cross in a circle at centre top. “CRUX MIHI SALUS. ERECTED BY ELIZABETH TO THE MEMORY OF HER BELOVED HUSBAND WHO DEPARTED THE 3RD FEBy 1826 AGED 49 YEARS”.
30) FEEGAN …Small undressed heavy type of stone nearly completely sunk in the ground. Top part missing so ornamentation can’t be fully seen. IHS and heart beneath it is all that remains. “THIS STONE WAS ERECTd BY EDWad FEEGAN IN MEMOry OF ELIZABh WOOds HIS MOTHER WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE DECbr Ye 31. 1739 AGED 57 YEARS”.
31) BRENNAN … Completely under yew trees. A narrow upright stone with ‘GLORIA’ etc round the top, a full sunburst with cross and chalice on each side. “ERECTED BY PATRICK BRENNAN TO THE MEMORY OF HIS BELOVED FATHER THOMAS BRENNAN WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE 17TH FEBy 1850 AGED 62 YEARS. ALSO HIS DAUGHTER ELLEN WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE 21ST APRIL 1844 AGED 18 YEARS AND HIS SON THOMAS WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE 15TH JANy 1838 AGED 10 YEARS”.
32) WARD … A cross on top with IHS in its centre. “SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF JOHN WARD OF PIERCETOWN WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE 11TH APRIL 1885 AGED 81 YEARS, ALSO HIS WIFE ROSE WHO DEPARTED 23RD JUNE 1885 AGED 80 YEARS”. RIP at bottom and T.H. Dennany Glasnevin.
33) CHANDLER …Small cross on top with flaming heart underneath it. “ERECTED BY JOHN CHANDLER CLARKSTOWN IN MEMORY OF HIS LOVING WIFE TERESA CHANDLER WHO DIED 15TH MARCH 1949”. R I P at bottom & Rennicks Navan.
34) DALY …A plain stone with ‘ECCE AGNUS DEI’ and a lamb on a cross in centre of top, and a small rose on each side. “ERECTED BY PATRICK DALY OF BRAYFIELD IN MEMORY OF HIS BELOVED MOTHER MRS MARY DALY WHO DIED 29TH JULY 1855 AGED 66 YEARS. ALSO HIS BELOVED FATHER BERNARD DALY WHO DIED 2ND JANy 1854 AGED 58 YEARS”.
35) SHERIDAN …A fine large cross with a lamb in the centre and ‘ECCE AGNUS DEI’ around it. “ERECTED BY SIMON SHERIDAN UTICA NEW YORK IN AFFECTIONATE REMEMBERANCE OF HIS BELOVED FATHER THOMAS SHERIDAN WHO DIED 8TH NOVr 1883 AGED 89 YEARS”. R I P at bottom and Wade Berkeley St. Dublin.
36) MURPHY … Plain old stone with half sunburst, cross IHS and barb in centre. A row of leaves and diamond border below and around inscription. “THIS STONE IS ERECTg BY ANN FEAGAN IN MEMry OF HER FATHER NICHOLs MURPHY WHO DIED MARCH THE 14. 1798 AGED 75 YEARS ALSO HER MOTHER MARY MURPHy DIED MAY 16. 1791 AGED 62 Yrs ALSO HER DAUGHTER BRIDGt AGd 6 YEARS. REQUIESCANT IN PACE”.
37) WHELAN …Plain stone under yew trees with full sunburst around a cross IHS and heart. “ERECTED BY WILLIAM WHELAN IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER JAMES WHELAN WHO DEPARTd THIS LIFE MAY 17TH 1799 ALSO HIS MOTHER JANE WHELAN WHO DEPARTd THIS LIFE JANUARY 26 1818 AND HIS POSTERITY 1647”. At bottom ‘MAY THEY REST IN PEACE’. At the end of some of the lines on the righthand side (viewer’s) are small little carving apparently to fill the spaces e.g. 2 little parallel arcs of a circle.
38) MURRAY …This stone is completely under yew trees and has been broken into 3 pieces by them. At some period in the past it was broken and mended by 2 iron bands but the yew trees were not cut and at some period since both iron bands have been burst asunder. We get the usual sunburst cross IHS and heart which is the commonest motif in Gallow Graveyard. “ERECTED BY MICHL MURRAY OF FREFFANS IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER JAMES MURRAY WHO DIED ………………MAY 1818 AGED 47 YEARS. OF HIS MOTHER MARY MURRAY WHO DIED APRIL 30TH 1845. ALSO OF HIS SISTERS ANNE…..CATHERINE MARY AND HIS BROTHER”.
39) KERRIGAN …A ringed cross on top of this marble stone with a flaming heart and cross in its centre. “ERECTED IN MEMORY OF JAMES KERRIGAN OF GARADICE WHO DIED 8TH AUGUST 1880 AGED 64 YEARS. AND OF HIS WIFE CATHERINE WHO DIED 30TH SEPT. 1907 AGED 79 YEARS. AND OF HIS SON ANDREW WHO DIED 1ST OCT. 1917 AGED 50 YEARS. R I P. PATRICK DIED 19 JANUARY 1931 JOSEPH DIED 17 MAY 1955”.
There is a white iron cross with no inscription and a large plain stone cross broken off from its base and its inscription destroyed.
North and east sides of the graveyard have no headstones.