KILCOOLEY (NEAR TRIM) GRAVEYARD CO. MEATH
HEADSTONES AND INSCRIPTIONS
Recorded By Dr Beryl F E Moore And Michael Kenny 1978
This graveyard is a short distance in from the road (Trim to Navan) and on a considerable height with a good view of the surrounding countryside particularly the ruins of Trim. It is round and likely on a fort. The church’s foundations are clearly to be seen under the grass. It is likely that some of the East wall fell in the past because a large number of worked stones are under the grass on that side. It seems that there was a circular walk in bygone days.
Only Headstone inside the Church Ruins
1) BECKETT… Peaked Stone. “Erected by Samuel Beckett of Trim in memory of his father William Beckett who departed this life 24 of Aug. 1856 aged 53 years”.
Headstones on the East Side
2) MC CORMICK… Ring cross with its hatlike top. IHS in centre. On base “In loving memory of my beloved husband Thomas McCormick who departed this life 4th August 1902 aged 67. Erected by his sorrowing wife. Also their daughter Mary Jane died 19th April 1904 aged 20 years. Also his wife Elizabeth Mc Cormick died 19th April 1919 aged 67 years. Anna Marie Mc Cormick died 12th Aug. 1973 aged 88 yrs. R.I.P”.
3) CARR… Very heavy stone tilting backwords covered in white lichen and very difficult to read. The stone is also chipping very badly. A full sunburst but whatever was inside it is now gone. A round ornament on each side. “This stone was erectd by Patrick Carr of Scurlocks town in memory of his posterity. Novembr the 11. 1795”
4) REILLY… Large headstone with small plain ringed cross on top and on 3 steps. It is ornamented by 6 fancy circles. “Erected to the memory of Mr Bernard Reilly of Trim who dep. this life 8th June 1875 aged 33 yrs. Also his brother Thomas who dep. this life 13th May 1863 aged 23 yrs. Also James who dep. this life 11th March 1869 aged 58 yrs. Also Anne Reilly who dep. this life 26th Oct. 1889 aged 41 yrs. R I P”. Burne .. Carrick.
5) REILLY… Marble cross with ivy leaves carved over its face. “Erected by Mary Josephine Reilly in memory of her beloved husband Patrick Reilly who died 27th Jany 1899 aged 49 years. On whose soul may Jesus have mercy”. Farrell & Son Glasnevin on base.
6) REILLY… Cross with heart and crown of thorns in its centre. “In memoria aeterna erit justus” psl 111. Sacred to the memory of Daniel Reilly Trim who departed this life 11th November 1885 aged 39 years R I P”. Farrell & Son at base .
7) HEWITT … White marble ringed cross with flaming heart in centre, Irish rope design over limbs and shaft. “Pray for the souls of Austin Hewitt Kilcooley House Trim died 6.12.1925 His wife Julia died 26.7.1934. Their sons Thomas died 24.9.1957. Austin died 7.7.1951. Mary Anne wife of Thomas died 26.3.1926. Mary wife of Thomas died 2.10.1938. Gabrielle (Queenie) wife of Patrick Condron daughter of Thomas & Mary Anne died 29.6.1952 The infant children of Thomas & Mary Anne & of Frank & Geraldine Loughran R I P”.
8) LAMBE… Very large stone tilting forward and likely to fall on its face very soon. This is caused by a group of young ash trees growing immediately behind it. This stone has a full sunburst around a cross IHS and heart with a plant. A rose on each side and a frame around the inscription. “Erected by John Lamb of Trim for him and his posterity. Here lyeth the body of Patrick Lamb who depd this life July 27th 1783 aged 62 years. Also his mother Mary Lamb alias Boyne who depd this life Septr 13th 1801 aged 68 years. Also his affectionate wife Rose Lamb alias King who depd this April 18th 1811 aged 34 years with three of her children”. At bottom ‘May they rest in Peace Amen’.