HEADSTONES AND INSCRIPTIONS
Dr. Beryl F. E. Moore and Michael Kenny 1978
Ordnance Survey Field Name Book 1835 … Loughsallagh Townland, Dunboyne.
Loch Salach means a dirty lake. O’Donovan thought the correct name was Loughsallagh. This townland is situated in the Eastern part of Dunboyne parish, 9½ miles Northwest of Dublin which is its principle market town. It is bounded on the North by Gunnocks townland, on the West by Dunboyne townland, and on the South by Clonee and Castlefarm townlands. It is the property of James Corballis Esq. and contains 165 acres 3 roods and 4 perches statute measurement and is all cultivated. The road from Navan to Dublin passes through its west side and also the Dunboyne to Dublin road and near the junction of these roads is this graveyard. The Tolka river bounds the townland on the south and west. The lowest part of the townland is 214 feet above sea level. COGAN says “The Chapel of Loughsallagh means ‘The lake of the Sallows’ and it is said to have burst forth 1410 years before the birth of Christ. It is dedicated to St. Michael whose Holy Well is in the graveyard. Stations were held here till 1820. The walls around the graveyard have been levelled”.
Present Day Findings– The graveyard is more or less round and surrounded by a good bank and row of tall old Beech trees. Outside the bank is a deep ditch with a small stream. There is a good iron gate and stile, and a circular walk around the graves. This graveyard lies in the angle between the Dublin-Dunshaughlin Road and the Dublin Dunboyne Road and is only about 50 feet from the road. The river Tolka is quite close. The site of Loughsallagh Church dedicated to St. Michael is clearly to be seen in the grass about the centre of the graveyard, and many of the Church stones are used as grave markers. The Holy Well also dedicated to St. Michael is a little to the west of the Church and about 54 ins. deep and 46 ins. wide and surrounded by stone work. It only contains about 6 ins. of water which apparently makes an exit through the wall. One can see the place where the waters enter on the North side, but it does not bubble up as is usual in a spring well. The water is said to be warm between October and June with the warmest period in December-January.
In “Rioch Na Mide” Year 1963 A member of our Meath Archaeological and Historical Society Mr. Michael Ward published a short article on Loughsallagh in which he quotes a verse of poetry written in A D 735 about this little place, and also a battle said to have taken place in 1410 B C referred to by the Four Masters. He tells us that the Annals of Lough Ce also refer to Loughsallah in A D 1122. The water of the Holy Well is said to cure the toothache.
Headstones at the East side reading from North to South
1) WARD & CUFFE … Large ringed cross with its hatlike top within a concrete surround. Irish rope design on cross and inscriptions on base. “ERECTED BY JOSEPH L. WARD OF GUNNOCKS CLONEE TO THE MEMORY OF HIS FATHER LAURENCE WARD WHO DIED 19th JULY 1938 AGED 88 YEARS, AND OF HIS MOTHER EDITH MARY (NEE QUIRKE) WHO DIED 11TH MAY 1928 AGED 55 YEARS, AND OF HIS DAUGHTER JOAN BORN 19TH APRIL 1941 DIED 19TH APRIL 1941”. At bottom ‘R I P AND WARD’. On the east side of the Base “IN MEMORY OF HIS GREAT AUNT BRIDGID CECILIA CUFFE KILCREAGH HOUSE DONABATE WHO DIED 3Rd SEPT. 1913 AGED 80 YEARS. AND OF HER SISTER MARIA CUFFE ALSO OF KILCREAGH HOUSE DONABATE WHO DIED 12Th MARCH 1928 AGED 93 YEARS. R I P”. On west side of base we get A. & W. Rennicks Navan.
2) FITZSIMONS…. Black marble slab within a surround. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF JOHN FITZSIMONS DIED 13Th JANUARY 1968. ALSO HIS WIFE ELIZABETH DIED 24TH JULY 1936. MAY THEY REST IN PEACE”. At back Ardiff Leixlip.
3) KELLY… Ringed Cross with inscription on a metal inset. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF CHRISTINA KELLY 29TH MAY 1916 AGED 13 YEARS. ALSO HER FATHER JOSEPH KELLY DIED 29th JUNE 1938 AGED 71 YEARS. ALSO HIS WIFE MARY KELLY DIED 31ST DEC. 1944 AGED 68 YEARS. ALSO THEIR SON JAMES KELLY DIED 1ST NOV. 1951 AGED 43 YEARS. R I P”. Lower down on a metal inset Wallace Batterstown.
4) SHERLOCK AND ENNIS… peaked stone. “IN MEMORY OF MY HUSBAND MICHAEL SHERLOCK DIED 4TH NOV. 1942 AND OF MY MOTHER MARY ENNIS DIED 15TH FEB. 1915 AND HIS WIFE ELLEN SHERLOCK DIED 28TH JAN. 1970 AGED 88 YEARS”. At bottom ‘Erected by his Wife and Family’
5) SWAN AND McGRATH… White marble slab with IHS on a cross within a surround. “IN MEMORY OF WILLIAM SWAN MILESTOWN DIED 16TH JANUARY 1963, HIS DAUGHTER RITA DIED 20TH JANUARY 1947”. Lower down “JAMES McGRATH DIED APRIL 1914, HIS WIFE ELIZABETH DIED MAY 1950. REST IN PEACE”. At Back Ardiff Leixlip.
6) ROCK … Plain stone within a surround. “IN MEMORY ANN ROCK DIED DEC. 4 1950 R I P”.
7) Iron cross with no inscription.
8) BOYLAN … Black marble slab within a surround. “SACRED HEART OF JESUS HAVE MERCY ON THE SOUL OF BRIG. SEAN BOYLAN EDENMOREWHO DIED 10TH MAY 1971 R I P”. On the base we get “LOVES GREATEST GIFT-REMEMBERANCE”. At Back L. Doggett, Donore Drogheda.
9) BOYLAN … Plain cross with solid cross at top. IHS at centre and floral ornamentation on arms. This stone is within the same surround as No. 8. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF EDWARD BOYLAN EDENMORE DIED 12TH MARCH 1910, ELIZABETH BOYLAN DIED 26TH FEBRUARY 1920. TERESA BOYLAN DIED 10TH FEBRUARY 1937. JOSEPH BOYLAN DIED 22ND MARCH 1950. MAY BOYLAN DIED 11TH MARCH 1960. PETER BOYLAN DIED 5TH MARCH 1965. EDWARD BOYLAN DIED 14TH MARCH 1968 R I P”. At bottom Robins 260 Harolds X Rd.
10) Small plain cross with no inscription.
11) NOLAN … White marble slab with Blessed Virgin’s Head in centre of top and a floral design on either side. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF PATRICK NOLAN DIED 1ST OCT. 1948. HIS WIFE AGNES DIED 12TH MARCH 1968. THEIR DAUGHTER MASIE DIED 24TH MAY 1932”. At bottom R I P.
12) QUILTY… Small tubular metal cross within a plastic surround. “R I P FRANK QUILTY”.
13) BYRNE AND QUILTY …White marble slab – similar to No. 12. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF JOHN BYRNE (BENDIGO) LOUGHSALLAGH DIED 8TH JAN. 1947 AGED 74 YEARS. HIS WIFE HELENA DIED 12TH APRIL 1948 AGED 74 YEARS. THEIR DAUGHTER MARGARET QUILTY DIED 8TH JULY 1942”. At bottom R I P. At back Power 15 Berkeley St.
14) RAFFERTY… Small white marble stone in the shape of a shield. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF PATRICK & ROSANNA RAFFERTY ALSO THEIR SONS AND DAUGHTER MICHAEL PATRICK JACK THOMAS AND JOSEPHINE. SWEET JESUS HAVE MERCY ON THEIR SOULS. R I P”. There are 3 small pieces of marble behind this headstone.
15) MC KENNA … Small square piece of stone with a recess for an inset which is missing. On one side of the stone we get “OF MARY MC KENNA DIED 19TH SEPT. 1954 R I P”.
16) Small plain concrete cross but no name or inscription.
17) PILKINGTON… Peaked marble slab with cross at centre of top. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF ELIZABETH PILKINGTON STIRLING CLONEE DIED 7TH OCT. 1908. HER HUSBAND JOSEPH DIED 23RD JAN. 1939. THEIR SON JOSEPH DIED 26TH FEB. 1913 AND DAUGHTER MARY DIED 6TH APRIL 1915”. At bottom ‘REST IN PEACE’. ERECTED BY THEIR DAUGHTERS”. At back Ardiff Leixlip.
18) BYRNE … White marble slab with domed top and small cross at centre. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF PATRICK BYRNE STIRLING WHO DIED 23RD MAY 1901 AGED 73. ALSO HIS WIFE MARGARET WHO DIED 3RD 1910 AGED 69 AND THEIR SECOND SON EDWARD WHO DIED 2ND SEPT. 1898 AGED 24”. At bottom R I P and C W HARRISON & SONS DUBLIN.
19) DICKENSON… Domed top. “IN SACRED AND LOVING REMEMBERANCE OF SAMUEL JAMES DICKENSON A DEVOTED HUSBAND AND FATHER WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE 12TH FEBy 1886 AGED 26 YEARS. ALSO HIS SISTERS BESSIE AGED 2 YEARS AND POLLY AGED 10 YEARS”.
20) CUNNINGHAM AND DOWD AND LOUGHLIN….white marble cross with peaked top. ‘JESUS MERCY MARY HELP’ around a Virgin’s head and ivy leaves on each side. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF THOMAS CUNNINGHAM BARBERSTOWN CLONSILLA DIED 22ND MARCH 1919. JULIA DOWD DIED 8TH APRIL 1927. ANN CUNNINGHAM DIED 16TH SEPT. 1932. MICHAEL DOWD DIED 27TH MARCH 1958. MOLLIE LOUGHLIN DIED 19TH APRIL 1965”.. At bottom R I P and Courtney on left and 9 Thomas St. on right.
21) BYRNE … White marble headstone with domed top and carving of the Blessed Virgin. This grave has a concrete surround. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF OUR DEAR PARENTS PETER BYRNE DIED 26TH DECEMBER 1926 AND MARY BYRNE DIED 29TH MAY 1972 ALSO THEIR SONS THOMAS DIED 26TH JULY 1946, PATRICK DIED 26TH JULY 1965 R I P”. On base B. Crowe on left and 10 Emmet St on right.
22) CARROLL… Marble headstone with ringed cross on top and IHS in centre. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MY DEAR PARENTS PETER CARROLL DIED 10TH FEB. 1902 AGED 74 YEARS. HIS WIFE MARY DIED 5TH APRIL 1925 AGED 90. ALSO THEIR SONS MATTHEW DIED 19TH JULY 1954 AGED 76. PHILIP DIED 10TH MARCH 1955 AGED 89 R I P”.
23) BRENAN …. Very old broken headstone. “THIS STONE AND BURIAL PLA—BELONGETH TO WILLIAM BRENAN WHO DIED DECEMBER 1776”.
24) CURRY …White marble headstone with peaked top and cross in centre. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MICHAEL CURRY MAYNE CLONEE DIED 23RD DEC. 1966 AGED 75 YEARS. R I P. ERECTED BY HIS WIFE AND FAMILY”. At back Ardiff Leixlip
25) CURRY … White marble headstone with solid cross on top and flaming heart with 2 drops of blood on the heart. Floral ornamentation on arms of cross. “IN MEMORY OF MY HUSBAND THOMAS CURRY WHO DIED 14 DEC. 1957 R I P”.
26) NEWMAN, ROGERS AND HOGARTY… White marble slab with cross at side, set in a base. “IN LOVING MEMOR OF MY DEAR HUSBAND GERALD NEWMAN KILMARTIN MULHUDDART DIED 3RD AUG. 1971. MY PARENTS WILLIAM ROGERS DIED 8TH JAN. 1956. MARGARET ROGERS DIED 6TH JUNE 1967. MY SISTERS MARGARET ROGERS DIED 12TH SEPT. 1927. CATHERINE ROGERS DIED 10TH JULY 1936. ALSO MY GRANDPARENTS JAMES AND BRIGID ROGERS AND THEIR DAUGHTERS MARY ROGERS AND ANN HOGARTY”.
R I P At bottom.
27) LENIHAN … Small white marble stone set in Limestone base and surround by a limestone curb. Solid ringed cross at top with IHS in centre and rope design on the arms. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF JOSEPH LENIHAN DIED 31ST MAY 1935. HIS WIFE ELLEN DIED 10TH MAY 1966. AND THEIR CHILDREN JOSEPH FRANCIS DIED 14TH JUNE 1939. BRIDGET DIED 3RD JANUARY 1945”. At bottom R I P and Farrell & Sons.
28) HYNES AND LENIHAN …White marble stone with a solid cross having 2 flaming hearts in centre. Shamrocks on 3 arms of the cross. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF OUR DEAR PARENTS CHRISTOPHER HYNES DIED 22ND MARCH 1919. BRIDGET HYNES DIED 22ND FEBRUARY 1937. ALSO OUR BROTHER JAMES DIED 9TH JULY 1913 AND BROTHER IN LAW JOSEPH LENIHAN DIED 31ST MAY 1935. AND OUR BROTHER JOHN DIED 14TH NOV. 1947”. At bottom ‘R I P ERECTED BY THEIR LOVING SONS & DAUGHTERS’. On base ‘IN LOVING MEMORY OF CHRISTOPHER HYNES DIED 15TH SEP. 1966 LATE OF BRACETOWN”.
29) CHESTER AND O’REILLY… Marble cross with winged figure mounted on 3 steps. The inscription is on the steps. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF OUR DARLING MOTHER JANE CHESTER DIED 20TH MARCH 1929 AND HER BROTHER MICHAEL O’REILLY DIED 19TH DEC. 1931. R I P. ERECTED BY HER LOVING DAUGHTERS”.
30) BYRNE… This headstone is behind No.27 and is facing west. It is a plain piece of white marble. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MY DEAR HUSBAND MICHAEL BYRNE DIED 29TH APRIL 1957 R I P”. At base we get a carved piece of stone.
31) HYLAND… Plain square piece of marble leaning against a wooden cross. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF JANE HYLAND HER PARENTS MARY AND JOSEPH AND HER BROTHER THOMAS”. At bottom R I P.
32) GLYNN … Small piece of white board on which we get “P.J. GLYNN R I P”.
33) CAFFREY …Small marble stone within a surround with the head of the weeping Madonna at its top. ‘OUR LADY OF LOURDES PRAY FOR US’ around it. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MY DEAR WIFE MARY CAFFREY DIED 15TH MARCH 1954 AGED 68 YEARS. ALSO HER HUSBAND JAMES DIED 23RD NOV. 1972”. At bottom R I P and Condon Granby Lane Parnell Sq.
34) GAFFNEY … Marble stone with domed top, cross and IHS in its centre. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MRS. MARY GAFFNEY CASTLEKNOCK WHO DIED ON THE 18TH NOVEMBER 1916 AGED 46 YEARS. ALSO HER DAUGHTER ESTHER WHO DIED ON 7TH JUNE 1934 AGED 38 YEARS R I P”.
35) Metal cross without inscription.
36) WARD … Ringed cross within a surround. Inscription on a marble inset. “IN MEMORY OF MATTHEW WARD BRACETOWN CLONEE DIED 26TH MARCH 1960. AND HIS WIFE MARY (NEE GRIBBEN) DIED 17TH AUG. 1970 R I P”.
37) Plain stone without inscription.
38) WALSH … Plain cross of red polished granite. “IN MEMORY OF ELLEN MARY BARRY WALSH (NEE ROONEY) DIED 13TH APRIL 1964 AGED 76 YEARS. R I P. ERECTED BY HER LOVING SONS”.
39) McGUINESS… Peaked marble stone with B V M at centre in an inset and rope design. ‘O MARY CONCEIVED WITHOUT SIN PRAY FOR US WHO HAVE RECOURSE TO THEE’ around the top. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF BRENDAN McGUINESS KILLALOE CO. CLARE DIED 5TH OCTOBER 1958 R I P”. At back Ardiff Leixlip.
40) KING… Ringed cross with inscription on a metal inset. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF Ed. KING WHO DIED MAY 18TH 1896 AGED 28 Yrs”.
41) GERAGHTY … White marble slab “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MARY (MOLLY) GERAGHTY PACELAND DUNBOYNE DIED 6TH JAN. 1972 AGED 55 YRS. HER HUSBAND PATRICK DIED 19TH AUG. 1973 AGED 69 YRS”. At bottom ‘REST IN PEACE’. At back Ardiff Leixlip.
42) KING, SKELTON AND GERAGHTY … White marble peaked stone with cross and IHS at top. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF PATRICK KING WHO DIED 26TH APRIL 1907 AGED 74 YEARS. ALSO CHRISTINA HIS WIFE DIED 28TH FEB.1915 AGED 73. ALSO EDWARD THEIR SON DIED 18TH MAY 1896 AGED 28 YEARS. ALSO THEIR GRANDSONS CHRISTOPHER (CHRISTIE ) SKELTON DIED 31ST JANY 1914 AGED 21 YEARS. AND EDDIE GERAGHTY DIED 20TH APRIL 1912 AGED 5½ YRS. THEIR DAUGHTERS MRS. CATHERINE GERAGHTY DIED 23RD OCT. 1954 AGED 84 YRS. CHRISTINA KING DIED 27TH NOV. 1968 AGED 90 YRS”. At bottom R I P.
43) GERAGHTY, KING AND SKELTON … Plain ringed cross. Inscription on a metal plate on base. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF JIMMIE GERAGHTY DIED 29TH JANUARY 1925 AGED 19 YEARS. ALSO HIS UNCLE OWEN KING DIED 19TH MARCH 1939 AGED 64 YEARS. ALSO HIS AUNT BRIDGET SKELTON DIED 14TH FEBRUARY 1944 AGED 76 YEARS. ALSO HIS MOTHER MRS. CATHERINE GERAGHTY DIED 23RD OCTOBER 1954 R I P”. At bottom Wallace Batterstown.
44) PHOENIX …. Small plain stone cross, with heart underneath showing three drops of blood within a full sunburst. ‘Jesus’ on left side and ‘Mercy’ on right. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MARGARET PHOENIX DIED 13TH NOV. 1940”.
45) Small plain cross with no inscription except R I P.
46) Plain cross with IHS at centre and no inscription.
47) MOONEY … Small ornamental stone cross with flaming heart recessed in the stone. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MY DEAR WIFE ROSE MOONEY WESTMANSROWN CLONSILLA DIED 22ND MARCH 1944 AGED 63 YEARS. ALSO HER HUSBAND PETER MOONEY DIED 20TH FEB. 1957 AGED 78 YEARS”. Lower down ‘R I P ERECTED BY HER HUSBAND’. At bottom Pittam 29 Beresford St.
48) KELLY AND ROGERS … Grey marble slab. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MICHAEL KELLY 17 ST. PATRICK PK. DUNBOYNE DIED 28TH DEC. 1975. HIS PARENTS-IN-LAW PETER & ELLEN ROGERS AND SISTERS-IN-LAW ELLEN & ELIZABETH ROGERS”. At bottom ‘REST IN PEACE ERECTED BY HIS WIFE AND FAMILY’. At back Ardiff Leixlip.
49) WALSH … Plain cross with inscription on a marble tablet which is leaning against the cross. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF ELIZABETH WALSH DIED 17 JULY 1936. ALSO HER HUSBAND WILLIAM WALSH DIED 28TH DEC. 1938. THEIR SON JOSEPH DIED 14TH NOV. 1961”. Lower down R I P.
50) ROGERS… Grey marble slab within a surround. Blessed Virgin Mary and Child at top. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF PATRICK ROGERS CABRA WHO DIED 16TH JAN. 1973 AND HIS SON JOHN WHO DIED 11TH MAY 1951”.. At bottom R I P.
51) ROGERS AND SHERLOCK… This headstone is within an iron surround. It represents two leaves of the bible. On the left leaf we get “IN LOVING MEMORY OF PETER ROGERS CABRA DIED 4TH SEPT. 1976. ALSO HIS AUNT CATHERINE SHERLOCK DUNBOYNE DIED 1946”. On right leaf we get a cross and “LIFE A BEAUTIFUL MEMORY. DEATH A SILENT SORROW”.
52) ROGERS … A white marble slab within a surround with IHS at top and a cross on left side of inscription. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF PETER ROGERS WHO DIED 3RD JAN. 1963”. At bottom ‘REST IN PEACE’. McCluskey 41 Ballinteer Dr.
53) ROONEY …. White marble headstone with cross on top and IHS at its centre. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MY DEARLY LOVED HUSBAND JOHN MATTHEW ROONEY OF PHIBBLESTOWN HOUSE CLONSILLA DIED 25TH MAY 1946. AND OF HIS MOTHER CATHERINE DIED 30TH NOV. 1936. AND OF OUR DEARLY LOVED ELDEST DAUGHTER ANNE DIED 25TH JAN. 1952 AGED 21 YEARS R I P. SACRED HEART OF JESUS HAVE MERCY ON THEIR SOULS”.
54) ROONEY … Plain red marble cross on three steps. The inscription is on the steps. “ERECTED BY HIS SORROWING WIFE AND CHILDREN IN AFFECTIONATE REMEMBERANCE OF A DEVOTED HUSBAND AND LOVING FATHER HENRY J. ROONEY PHIBBLESTOWN HOUSE CLONSILLA WHO DIED 7TH DEC 1923. ALSO HIS CHILDREN URSULA & FRANCES WHO DIED JANUARY 1896. HELEN AGNES LOVING WIFE OF JOHN M. ROONEY AND MOTHER OF ANNE DIED 6TH MAY 1963 AGED 65 YEARS R I P”.
55) KELLY … Ornamental stone with small ringed cross at top and flaming heart. “GENTLE SACRED HEART OF JESUS HAVE MERCY ON THE SOUL OF JOHN LAURENCE KELLY BORN AT DONABATE CO. DUBLIN DIED AT DUNBOYNE 31ST DECEMBER 1937. TO WHOSE LOVING MEMORY THIS MONUMENT IS ERECTED BY HIS WIFE AND CHILDREN. HOLY MOTHER OF GOD AND SAINT JOSEPH PRAY FOR HIM. AND OF HIS WIFE CATHERINE MARY DIED 22ND AUGUST 1946. AND THEIR SONS CHRISOSTOM (TOD) DIED 25TH OCTOBER 1958. JOHN DESMOND DIED 28TH JULY 1966. CHARLES PETER DIED 25TH MARCH 1972”. At bottom Kelly.
56) Plain stone cross with no inscription.
57) REILLY… White Marble slab with cross on left of inscription, inside a surround. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MARY REILLY BENNETSTOWN DUNBOYNE DIED 14TH SEPTEMBER 1926 AGED 50 YEARS. ALSO JAMES REILLY PIERSTOWN DUNBOYNE DIED 20TH NOV. 1962 AGED 81 YEARS. ALSO MARY REILLY PIERSTOWN DUNBOYNE DIED 15TH MAY 1973 AGED 76 YEARS. ERECTED BY MATT”.
58) MAGUIRE …. Ringed cross with IHS at centre. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF PETER MAGUIRE CASTLEFARM DUNBOYNE WHO DIED 21STJAN. 1942 AGED 83 YEARS. AND OF HIS BELOVED WIFE MARY ANNE MAGUIRE10TH APRIL 1943 AGED 70 YEARS. ALSO THEIR DEAR CHILDREN PETER MAGUIRE WHO DIED 7TH MAY 1928 AGED 22 YEARS. BARTHOLOMEW MAGUIRE WHO DIED 3RD NOVEMBER 1935 AGED 25 YEARS. KATHLEEN MAGUIRE WHO DIED 2ND JULY 1936 AGED 23 YEARS. R I P”. At bottom Harrison Ltd. Dublin.
59) O’NEILL … Peaked Stone with small cross and heart underneath showing three drops of blood. “ERECTED BY JOHN O’NEILL DUNBOYNE IN LOVING MEMORY OF HIS DEAR WIFE MARY WHO DIED 17TH AUGt 1906 AGED 69 YEARS, MAY SHE REST IN PEACE”.
60) REILLY AND SWAN … White marble slab with cross on left side of inscriptions. Grave has a surround. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MARGARET REILLY DUNBOYNE DIED 14TH OCT. 1916. HER HUSBAND MICHAEL DIED 19TH DEC. 1956. THEIR DAUGHTERS MARY DIED 17TH JAN. 1919. JOSEPHINE DIED 19TH JUNE 1919… THEIR SONS WILLIAM DIED 17TH JUNE 1948. PATRICK DIED 21ST SEPT. REST IN PEACE, ERECTED BY CATHERINE AND ELIZABETH REILLY”. On base “DANIEL SWAN DIED 12TH MAY 1914. HIS WIFE MARGARET DIED 22ND SEPT. 1924” At back Ardiff Leixlip.
61) MC CARTHY … peaked marble stone with cross in centre within a surround. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF JOHN JUSTIN McCARTHY COURT HILL DUNBOYNE DIED 22ND AUGUST 1952. ALSO HIS WIFE KATHLEEN (NEE WALSH) DIED 21ST FEBRAURY 1966. R I P”. At back Ardiff Leixlip.
62) MOONEY … Plain stone. “EDWARD MOONEY BORN 6TH NOV.1917. DIED 17TH DEC. 1967”. At back Ardiff Leixlip.
63) MC KENNA … Peaked stone with ornamentation, Our Blessed Lord displaying the Sacred Heart. “ERECTED BY JAMES McKENNA IN LOVING MEMORY OF HIS WIFE CATHERINE WHO DIED 10TH JANUARY 1912 AGED 85 YEARS. R I P”. At bottom Thompson Bros Dublin.
64) O’BRIEN … Plain stone with stepped top and cross at centre, within a chain surround. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF JOHN O’BRIEN WHO DIED 24TH MAY 1940 AGED 65 YEARS. HIS DAUGHTER MARY WHO DIED 9TH OCT. 1936 AGED 27 YEARS. HIS WIFE CATHERINE WHO DIED 4TH APRIL 1948 AGED 77 YEARS. HIS SON MICHAEL WHO DIED 16TH DEC. 1961 AGED 59 YEARS. MARGARET WIFE OF THE ABOVE MICHAEL WHO DIED 20TH DEC. 1975 AGED 70 YEARS. THEIR DAUGHTER BRIDGET WHO DIED 1ST MARCH 1944 AGED 13 MONTHS, R I P”. At bottom Monumental Works Swords.
65) Plain stone cross with IHS but no inscription.
66) WATTERS … Ringed cross, IHS in centre and rope design on the arms of the cross. “ERECTED IN LOVING MEMORY OF BRIDGET WATTERS NEWTOWN DIED 16TH JAN. 1918 AGED 69 YEARS. HER SON JOHN WATTERS DIED 28TH AUG. 1953 AGED 76 YEARS. CATHERINE WATTERS WARRENSTOWN DIED 27TH FEB. 1955 AGED 70 YEARS. AND OF HER HUSBAND THOMAS DIED 14TH AUG. 1960 AGED 81 YEARS R I P”. At back Ardiff Leixlip.
67) Metal Cross with no inscription.
68) MEEHAN… White marble slab with cross on left side of inscription. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF CHRISTOPHER MEEHAN PACE DUNBOYNE CO. MEATH DIED 20TH JULY 1962 AGED 77 YEARS. ALSO HIS WIFE ELIZABETH DIED 3rd DEC. 1943 AGED 48 YEARS. A ND THEIR SON EDWARD DIED 14TH APRIL 1952 AGED 14 YEARS. ALSO KEVIN & JOHN WHO DIED YOUNG. R I P.” At bottom Power Dublin.
69) Plain cross with no inscription.
70) Plain cross with cherub but no inscription.
71) KENNY… White marble slab stepped at top, cross on right. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF JOHN KENNY DIED 30TH OCT. 1958 AGED 57 YEARS. ALSO HIS WIFE MARY DIED 27TH MARCH 1969 AGED 58 YEARS, R I P. ERECTED BY HIS WIFE AND CHILDREN”. At back Ardiff Leixlip.
72) BARRY… Black marble stone facing west. Our Lord on a cross on left side of the inscription. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF ANTHONY BARRY AYRFIELD DUNBOYNE DIED 23RD JAN. 1969. ALSO HIS WIFE ROSEANNA (RHODA) BARRY DIED 19TH JUNE 1970. REST IN PEACE. ERECTED BY THEIR SON PATRICK”. At back Ardiff Leixlip.
There is small concrete cross set in a base on top of the surrounding bank outside the Circular walk about the middle of the east side. It has no name on it. In the south-east corner there are several mounds said locally to be the graves of a father and his six sons.