HEADSTONES AND INSCRIPTIONS
Recorded by Dr. Beryl F. E. Moore and Mrs Josephine Maguire 1979
THE BEDLOW – BROWN RECUMBENT SLAB …This slab lay on top of the family vault in the ruined Rataine Church but now cannot be found. Bedlow is the old spelling of the name now called Bellew. A Thomas Browne in 1528 was Prior of Newtown Abbey. There was a point (dot) after each word on the large recumbent slab and the inscription ran round the outside edge of the 4 sides of the rectangular slab, beginning at the top end and finishing at the top end so that there were two lines of inscription on the top of the slab. This stone was recorded and written about by several important persons at the end of last century and beginning of this century. About the middle of the slab we get a shield with raised characters on it which gives the Bedlow coat of arms on the left side and the Browne coat on the right side… namely a fret for Bedlow and impaling a two-headed eagle displayed for Browne; with the initials R.B. (for Richard Bedlow the husband) and G.B. (for Geneta Browne the wife) over the shield. The inscription was in Latin and as follows… “HIC. JACENT. CORPORA. RICHARDI. BEDLOW. DE. BEDLOWSTOWN. QUI. OBIIT. X. DIE. MENSIS. JANUARII. 1601. AC. ETIAM. CORPORA. BINI. FILII. EJUS. UZ. JACOBI. BEDLOW. ET. THOMAE. BEDLOW. GENETA. BROWN. UXOR. EJUS. HOC. MONIMENTUM. STRUXIT”. The 6 in the date is reversed.
I now give Father McGreevy’s translation of the Latin into English… “HERE LIE THE BODIES OF RICHARD BEDLOW OF BEDLOWSTOWN WHO DIED THE TENTH DAY OF THE MONTH OF JANUARY 1601 AND ALSO THE BODIES OF TWO SONS OF HIS NAMELY JAMES BEDLOW AND THOMAS BEDLOW. GENET BROWN HIS WIFE ERECTED THIS MONUMENT”.
Several of the old authors refer to the following …a brother of a herd a few years ago cut across the face of the stone “T. Boland … 1858”. We failed to find this inscription also.
Headstones in the ruined church from east to west
1) NALLY… Ringed cross with IHS and crown of thorns in centre and floriated ends. “ERECTED IN MEMORY OF JULIA NALLY WHO DIED SEPTEMBER 29th 1892 AGED 70 YEARS. ALSO OF HER HUSBAND THOMAS NALLY WHO DIED JULY 26th 1901 AGED 70 YEARS. ALSO THEIR SON THOMAS DIED APRIL 13th 1927 AGED 66 YEARS. HIS WIFE JULIANA DIED 13th MARCH 1935. ALSO THEIR SON THOMAS DIED 15th MARCH 1943. AND THEIR DAUGHTER JULIA DIED 25th MARCH 1949 AGE 46”.
2) CARBERRY… An iron cross. “IN MEMORY OF MARGARET CARBERRY WHO DIED 27th NOV. 1959. R I P”.
3) LYNCH… This stone is much sunk in the ground. Domed top with IHS. Very difficult to read with lichen. “ERECTED BY CONNOR LYNCH IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER TOSS LYNCH WHO DIED DE—24th 1782. ALSO HIS BROTHER JAMES DIED JUNE 24th 1799”.
4) LYNCH… Ringed cross with IHS in centre and a circle of ivy and vine leaves lower down. “ERECTED BY JAMES LYNCH CLONDAVEN TRIM IN LOVING MEMORY OF HIS PARENTS BROTHERS AND SISTERS. HIS FATHER JAMES J. LYNCH WHO DIED 25th OCT. 1880 AGED 79 YEARS. HIS SISTER ELLEN DIED 6th DEC. 1881 AGED 24 YEARS. HIS SISTER KATIE DIED 16th JUNE 1887 AGED 18 YEARS. HIS SISTER MARY DIED 12th JAN. 1888 AGED 23 YEARS. HIS BROTHER CHRISTOPHER DIED 21st FEB. 1892 AGED 33 YEARS. HIS MOTHER MARY LYNCH DIED 2nd JULY 1898 AGED 81 YEARS. HIS BROTHER PHILIP DIED IN AMERICA 22nd FEB. 1899 AGED 54 YEARS. HIS SISTER ANNIE DIED 6th SEPT. 1913 AGED 55 YEARS. HIS SISTER BRIDGET DIED 11th FEB. 1921 AGED 73 YEARS. HIS BROTHER LAURENCE DIED 25th APRIL 1926 AGED 73 YEARS”. At bottom Resquiescant in Peace (Pace).
5) KEELY… Ringed cross with flaming heart in centre. “ERECTED IN LOVING MEMORY OF RICHARD KEELY ESKAROON DUNDERRY DIED FEB. 7th 1931 AGED 49 YEARS. ALSO HIS PARENTS JOHN KEELY WHO DIED MAY 31st 1882 AGED 39 YEARS AND ROSANNA BAILEY DIED JUNE 11th 1894 AGED 42 YEARS. ALSO HIS WIFE KATHLEEN DIED 11th AUG. 1967 AGED 79 YEARS”.
6) RAFFERTY… Domed top with full sunburst encircling a cross IHS and flaming heart. “THIS STONE IS ERECTED TO THE MEMORY OF CHRISTOPHER RAFFERTY AND HIS WIFE WHO LIVED AND DIED RESPECTED BY ALL THOSE WHO KNEW THEM”.
7) REILLY… Recumbent slab measuring 8ft 1in by 4ft and only 1 ¼ ins thick. It is broken into two pieces just below the middle. “UNDER THIS STONE ARE DEPOSITED THE REMAINS OF WILLIAM REILLY ESQ. OF FOSTERSTOWN AND MARY REILLY ALIAS RAFFERTY HIS WIFE WHOSE MODEST WORTH WILL LIVE IN THE RECOLLECTION OF ALL WHO KNEW THEM, AS LONG AS MEMORY HOLDS HER SEAT OF AFFECTION AND WARMS THE HEART”
8) O’RAFFERTY… Ringed cross with flaming heart in centre and Irish rope design on limbs. Inscription on base. “SACRED HEART OF JESUS HAVE MERCY ON THE SOULS OF JOHN AND MARIA O’RAFFERTY AND THEIR DECEASED CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILDREN”.
9) BUCHANNAN… Ringed cross with flaming heart in centre and a flower motif at the end of each limb. “ERECTED BY JAMES BUCHANNAN ARDBRACCAN IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER MICHAEL BUCHANNAN DIED 22nd MAR. 1915 AGED 67 YEARS. ALSO HIS BROTHER WILLIAM DIED 11th OCT. 1919 AGED 19 YEARS. AND OF HIS BROTHER THOMAS DIED 2nd FEB. 1920 AGED 28 YEARS. ALSO HIS MOTHER ELIZA DIED 8th SEPT. 1935 AGED 77 YEARS. AND HIS SISTER MARY DIED 8th JAN. 1938 AGED 43 YEARS. THE ABOVE JAMES DIED 6th MARCH 1930 AGED 62 YEARS”. At bottom ‘SACRED HEART OF JESUS HAVE MERCY ON THEIR SOULS R I P’.
10) BUCHANNAN… Domed top with ‘GLORIA IN EXCELSIS DEO’ around it. Full sunburst in a circle with cross and IHS in its centre, and a chalice on each side. “ERECTED BY THOMAS AND PATRICK BUCHANNAN IN MEMORY OF THEIR BELOVED BROTHER MICHAEL WHO DIED 24th OCTr. 1841 AGED 21 YEARS. ALSO THEIR FATHER MICHAEL BUCHANNAN MULAGHMORE WHO DIED 10th JAN. 1842 AGED 82 YEARS. AND THEIR SISTER MARY WHO DIED 19th APRIL 1849 AGED 45 YEARS. AND ALSO MRS ANNE BUCHANNAN THE BELOVED WIFE OF THE ABOVE THOMAS WHO DIED 16th AUGUST 1853 AGED 38 YEARS. AND OF THEIR MOTHER MRS JUDITH BUCHANNAN WHO DIED 27th DECr 1856 AGED 76 YEARS. JULIA BUCHANNAN IRISHTOWN WHO DIED MAY 6th 1871 AGED 28 YEARS, ALSO HER SON MICHAEL WHO DIED JANry 28th 1910 AGED 46 YEARS. ALSO HER HUSBAND WILLIAM WHO DIED FEB. 2nd 1915 AGED 92 YEARS”.
11) BOCKAHAN… This stone is leaning backwards and nearly buried in the ground. It is broken in two pieces and the lower half is buried immediately behind the front piece, so we don’t know what is on it, if anything. The top half has a domed top with a crucifixion flanked on each side by a cherub with expanded wings. Over these cherubs are small sunbursts on each side with cross IHS and some motif we can’t distinguish. Our Lord’s arms are outstretched, his head upright and the legs straight. There is a frame around the inscription. “ERECTED BY THOMAS & GEORGE BOCKAHAN IN MEMORY OF THEIR FATHER JAMES BOCKAHAN OF MACETOWN WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE 23rd OCT. 1899 AGED 65 YEARS”. There is a large stopper stone on the left side.
12) BUCHANAN… The name is spelt on this headstone with 2 N’s and not 3 as on the other stones. A ringed cross with its hatlike top. “ERECTED TO THE MEMORY OF THOMAS BUCHANAN WHO DIED 24th OCTOBER 1859 AGED 40 YEARS. ALSO HIS WIFE CATHERINE WHO DIED 7th …. 1892. ALSO HIS SON PATRICK DIED THE 19th OF …. 1880 AGED 22 YEARS. AND HIS —-AGED 25 YEARS”. (Both the ages 22 and 25 we are not sure of).
13) BUCHANAN… A ringed cross on to of a peaked stone with flaming heart in centre and leaves on each side. Curb around grave. “ERECTED IN MEMORY OF GEORGE BUCHANAN WHO DIED 29th JULY 1917 AND HIS WIFE MARY BUCHANAN DIED 1st JULY 1902. HIS DAUGHTER ELLEN BUCHANAN DIED 31st JULY 1909 AND LARWENCE BUCHANAN DIED 29th NOVEMBER 1918. ALSO THOMAS BUCHANAN DIED 14th MARCH 1954”. R I P at bottom. Laurence is peculiarly spelt.
14) KAVANAGH… We have now come to the last three headstones in the ruined church and all these three are set against the West wall or built into it. No.14 is a ringed cross with IHS in its centre, “ERECTED BY ANNIE KAVANAGH JAMESTOWN IN LOVING MEMORY OF HER MOTHER MARY WHO DIED 7th NOV. 1892. SACRED HEART OF JESUS HAVE MERCY ON HER”. R I P and IHS at bottom.
15) KAVANAGH… A fine headstone just below the West window with a cross at top and IHS below it. “ERECTED BY BRIDGET KAVANAGH IN MEMORY OF HER BELOVED HUSBAND PATRICK KAVANAGH WHO DIED AT TRIMGATE ST. NAVAN 28th APRIL 1878 AGED 31 YEARS. ALSO THEIR SON WILLIAM AGED 5 MONTHS. THE ABOVE BRIDGET KAVANAGH WHO DIED 6th JUNE 1916 AGED 75 YEARS. ALSO ANNIE THE BELOVED WIFE OF PATRICK J. KAVANAGH WHO DIED 26th JUNE 1925 AGED 31 YEARS. ALSO PATRICK J. KAVANAGH DIED 26th MAY 1959 AGED 86 YEARS. ALSO MARGARET DEARLY BELOVED WIFE OF PATRICK J. KAVANAGH 25th FEBUARY (Spelt without the first R) 1976
R I P”.
16) BRENNAN… Peaked stone with cross on top and lower down IHS (each letter on top of the other) Irish rope design twined around this motif. “ERECTED BY JAMES BRENNAN OF RETAIN IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER WHO DIED JULY 3rd 1873 AGED 99 YEARS. ALSO HIS MOTHER MARY BRENNAN DIED THE 23rd DECr 1881 AGED 97 YEARS. HIS BROTHER JOHN BRENNAN DIED DECr 12th 1847 AGED 22 YEARS. HIS BROTHER M.E. BRENNAN DIED APRIL 1st 1836 AGED 11 YEARS AND HIS NEICE (Spelt wrongly) KATE KAVANAGH WHO DIED AT RETAIN JANry 19th 1880 AGED 21 YEARS. ALSO MARY BRENNAN HIS SISTER WHO DIED JULY 26th 1895 AGED 61 YEARS. ALSO THE ABOVE JAMES BRENNAN WHO DIED ON THE 16th DECEMBER 1899. R I P”.
Headstones on east side of graveyard.
17) MULHAIRE… Modern limestone headstone. “SACRED HEART OF JESUS HAVE MERCY ON THE SOULS OF CATHERINE MULHAIRE DUNDERRY PARK, DIED 14th DEC. 1965. HER HUSBAND FELIX DIED 3rd NOV. 1974 R I P”. Curb around this grave. On side Rennicks High St. Trim.
18) BRADY… White marble stepped stone with a curb. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF THOMAS BRADY CLONCULLEN ROBINSTOWN NAVAN DIED 19th NOV. 1967 AGED 54 Yrs. HIS DAUGHTER CARMEL MARY DIED 2nd AUG. 1961 AGED 17 Yrs R I P”. On base ‘ERECTED BY HIS WIFE MARGARET’, and Bennet.
19) MC DONALD… Domed stone situated by itself near the south wall. Cherub with expanded wings at each side. In centre full sunburst around a cross IHS and a plant. Only parts of this inscription can now be read. “SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF ….WHO DEP. THIS LIFE FEBry 1887 AGED 71 Yrs…… JAMES McDONALD FOR 37 YEARS IN THE SERVICE OF THE LATE JOHN YOUNG OF PHILPOTSTOWN ESQUIRE”.
20) GERAGHTY… White marble stone with a curb, “IN LOVING MEMORY OF THOMAS GERARD GERAGHTY ( DUNDERRY ) DIED OCT. 25th 1959 AGED 55 YEARS. EDITED BY HIS LOVING WIFE ELIZABETH R I P”. At bottom Oliver Rennicks Ardbraccan.
21) Wooden cross with no inscription.
22) MC CABE… Ringed cross with IHS in centre and shamrocks at 4 corners. “ERECTED BY PATRICK McCABE IN MEMORY OF HIS BELOVED MOTHER JANE WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE MARCH 3rd 1865 AGED 68 YEARS. AND IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER BRIAN McCABE 41 YEARS GARDNER TO MRS YOUNG OF PHILPOTSTOWN WHO DIED 14th JULY 1877 AGED 101 YEARS. AND OF FRANCIS McCABE WHO DIED 1st AUGUST 1881 AGED 55 YEARS. ALSO ABOVE PATRICK McCABE WHO DIED AT AVONDALE AVENUE DUBLIN 22nd MARCH 1904 AGED 65 YEARS”. Underneath Requiescant In Pace.
23) FARRELL… Peaked stone with a plain cross. “ERECTED BY MATTHEW FARRELL IN MEMORY OF HIS WIFE KATE FARRELL DIED 12th MAR. 1947 AGED 76 YEARS. R I P”.
24) EDWARDS… Ringed cross at top. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MARY EDITH EDWARDS WHO DIED AT DUNDERRY PARK ON MAY 11TH 1922”.
25) EAGERTY… Notched top. Most of this stone is underground. “HERE LIES THE BODY OF PATRICK EAGERTY WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE MAY 1745 AGED 20 YEARS”.
26) BYRNE… This stone is leaning forward and very difficult to read. It has a notched top with cross IHS and heart with 2 arrows. Around top we get ‘GLORY BE TO GOD ON HIGH’. “ERECTED BY TOMAZEN BYRNE ALIAS G-EH-Y OF WINTOWN GALTRIM FOR HER AND HER DEPARTED POSTERITY. IN MEMORY OF HER BELOVED HUSBAND JAMES BYRNE WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE MARCH 13th 1797 AGED 59 Yrs. ALSO HER SON PATRICK BYRNE DEPARTED THIS LIFE MAY 6th 1796 AGED 20 Yrs. AND HER DAUGHTER JANE BYRNE DEPARTED THIS LIFE JULY 6th 1781 AGED 15 YEARS”. Long S used in ‘also’
27) GARNEY… Dome in centre of top with cross and IHS in it. This stone is much sunk in the ground. “HERE LYETH THE BODY OF JOHN GARNEY WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE NOV. THE 28. 1749 AGED 59 YEARS”.
28) CAROLAN… A heavy stone with sunburst and chalice and Gloria etc around top. “ERECTED BY THOMAS CAROLAN OF BECTIVE IN MEMORY OF HIS BROTHER BRYAN CAROLAN WHO DIED ON 4th MARCH 1856 AGED 64 YEARS”.
29) CAIN…Dome in centre of top with cross and IHS in it. “ERECTED BY STEPHEN CAIN IN MEMORY OF HIS WIFE MARY CAIN ALIAS MORGAN WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE FEB. 2nd 1808 AGED 70 YEARS”.
30) SHERIDAN…Small white marble cross with IHS in centre. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF JOSEPH SHERIDAN RETAINE DIED 15th APRIL 1966. HIS SISTER MARY DIED 1 NOV. 1969”.
31) SHERIDAN… Ringed cross with sacred heart and crown of thorns in centre. Foliage on limbs. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF JOSEPH SHERIDAN ( ROBINSTOWN NAVAN ) DIED 21st JULY 1954 AGED 84 Yrs. HIS WIFE KATE DIED 9th APRIL 1959 AGED 78 Yrs”. R I P at bottom and erected by his wife Kate.
32) MURRAY… Heavy stone leaning forward with much ivy growing over it. Full sunburst with cross and IHS in centre, and chalice on each side. “JUDITH MURRAY OF RETAIN IN MEMORY OF HER BELOVED HUSBAND LAWRENCE MURRAY WHO DIED 23rd MARCH 1857 AGED 60 YEARS. ALSO HER MOTHER ELIZABETH MURRAY WHO DIED 23rd MAY 1832 AGED 82 YEARS. AND OF HER FATHER PATRICK MURRAY WHO DIED 28th JANy 1848 AGED 75 YEARS. ALSO HIS BROTHER JOSEPH MURRAY WHO DIED 6th NOVr 1850 AGED 45 YEARS. AND HIS UNCLE MICHAEL MURRAY WHO DIED 11th JULY 1856 AGED 75 YEARS. A ND ALSO HIS NEPHEW MICHAEL MURRAY WHO DIED 24th AUG. 1848 AGED 21 YEARS”.
33)….… This stone is much sunken in the ground and we can’t read it all. “THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY CHRISTr R——- OF FRANCIS STrEET DUBLIN CHANDLER IN MEMORY OF HIS BELOVED ——-LAUS. MrPART—–GAN MEATH STREET CITY WEAVER. AGE—YRS”.
34) MURRAY… A large heavy stone with a big ringed cross and IHS in centre, and a small cross in each limb. Frame around the inscription. “LORD HAVE MERCY ON THE SOUL OF MARGARET THE BELOVED WIFE OF RICHARD MURRAY BELGETE DIED 27th JULY 1871 AGED 35 YEARS. THE ABOVE RICHARD MURRAY DIED —– APRIL 1876 AGED 50 YEARS”.
35) LEONARD… Ringed cross similar to No. 31 but a little bigger. “ERECTED BY JANE LEONARD OF TRIM IN MEMORY OF HER BELOVED HUSBAND NICHOLAS LEONARD WHO DIED 21st APRIL 1874 AGED 36 YEARS. AND OF HER CHILDREN MARY ROSE DIED 26th JULY 1867 AGED 4 YEARS. MARGARET DIED 7th AUGUST 1872 AGED 5 YEARS ALSO NICHOLAS JOSEPH DIED FEB. 1891 AGED 16 YEARS. THE ABOVE JANE LEONARD DIED 8th OF MARCH 1906 AGED 85 YEARS”.
36) LEONARD… Domed stone with full sunburst, cross and IHS in centre. “REMEMBER YOUR LAST END AND YOU WILL NEVER SIN. ECCL. HERE LIES THE BODY OF PATRICK LEONARD WHO DIED MAY 18th 1801 AGED 18 YEARS. AND HIS MOTHER MARY LEONARD OTHERWISE MARY EGLESTON WHO DIED SEPTEMBER 17. 1811 AGED 58 YEARS. ALSO HER DAUGHTER MARY LEONARD WHO DIED OCTOBER THE 18. 1811 AGED 25 YEARS. ALSO CORNELIUS LEONARD HUSBAND TO THE ABOVE MARY LEONARD WHO DIED JUNE 6——- rest is underground.
37) LEONARD…Heavy domed stone tilting forward with Gloria etc around top. Sunburst in centre and a fancy circle at each side. “HERE LYETH THE REMAINS OF NICHOLAS LEONARD DEPARTED THIS LIFE IN JULY 1800 AGED 60 YEARS. ALSO HIS WIFE ANNE LEONARD WHO DIED NOVEMBER THE 6th 1819 aged 74 YEARS. ALSO HIS DAUGHTER ANNE WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE MARCH THE 2nd 1820 AGED 52 YEARS”.
38) KEALY… A big cross on a base. A pincers with one nail at top, two other nails at the sides and hammer at the bottom. On a scroll we get the inscription “ERECTED BY JAMES KEALY OF NAVAN IN MEMORY OF HIS BELOVED WIFE AND CHILD”. On base we get “ALSO THE ABOVE JAMES KEALY DIED OCTOBER 13th 1877 AND HIS DAUGHTER MARGARET FINUCANE WHO DIED AUGUST 15th 1891
R I P”.
39) MAHON… Peaked stone with a small cross and flaming heart in a circle. This stone is covered in lichen. “ERECTED BY KATE MAHON IN MEMORY OF HER FATHER JAMES MAHON WHO DIED 9th DEC 1882. HER MOTHER CATHERINE MAHON DIED 18th FEB. 1882. HER BROTHER THOMAS DIED 2 MAR. 1889. HER BROTHER FRANCIS DIED 27 MAR.1922. THE ABOVE KATE MAHON DIED 22 JAN. 1941”.
40) White wooden cross with no inscription placed just outside the East wall of the ruined church.
Headstones on south side of graveyard.
41) DIGNAN… This stone is much sunk in the ground under trees. Domed top with IHS and some beautiful floral carving. “THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY PATk DIGNAN IN MEMORY OF HIS WIFE CATHERINE DIGNAN ALIAS RAFERTY (One F) WHO DEPd THIS LIFE APRIL Ye 28th 1773 AGED 73 Yrs. ALSO 3 OF HIS CHILDREN WHO DIED IN THEIR INFANCY”.
42) HEALY… Modern well-kept grave with a curb and green chippings. Ringed cross with flaming heart. “ERECTED IN LOVING MEMORY OF MARY HEALY, LAURENCE HEALY, THOMAS HEALY DIED JAN. 1919. CHRISTOPHER HEALY DIED FEB. 1920. JOHN HEALY DIED OCT. 1928. ELIZABETH HEALY DIED 1934. THOMAS HEALY DIED 10th MARCH 1976. R I P”.
43) MAHON… Solid cross with R I P in centre. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF THOMAS MAHON…….. No more can be read.
44) This seems to have been a fine headstone but it has fallen on its face under a shrub and can’t be read. It has a notched top.
45) GEARTY… Domed top with Gloria etc, sunburst with cross and IHS and 2 cherubs with outstretched wings touching each other. “ERECTED BY HUGH GEARTY IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER CHRISTr WHO DIED IN AUGUST 1790 AGED 79 Yrs. HIS WIFE CLARA GEARTY DIED IN MARCH 1806 AGED 50 Yrs. CHRIS GEARTY SON DIED JUNE 1820 AGED 52”.
46) GEARTY…Large peaked stone with a lamb on a cross in a sunken circle and above it ‘AGNUS DEI’. “ERECTED BY Mrs MARCELLA GERATY OF WARRENSTOWN IN MEMORY OF HER BELOVED HUSBAND HUGH GERATY WHO DIED 1st OCT. 1833 AGED 52 YEARS. ALSO HIS BELOVED SON CHRISTOPHER WHO DIED 5th MARCH 1835 AGED 21 YEARS. AND THEIR BELOVED SON LAURENCE WHO DIED 24th JANy 1860 AGED 38 YEARS”.
47) CLARKE… A notched stone with full sunburst, a cherub with outstretched wings on each side. “THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY MADGE McDERMOTT. (The D in this name is not a capital one) IN MEMORY OF HER HUSBAND SIMON CLARKE WHO DIED APRIL THE 10th 1768 AGED 54 Yrs. ALSO HER SON PATRICK (small P) CLARKE WHO DIED APRIL 24th 1790 AG’D (comma above instead of E ) 24 YEARS”.
48) SHERIDAN… This stone has fallen on the ground but fortunately the inscription is uppermost. A peaked stone with IHS. “ERECTED BY MARY DUNICAN OF NEW YORK IN MEMORY OF HER MOTHER MARY SHERIDAN WHO DIED MAY 31st 1868 AGED 58 YEARS. ALSO HER FATHER MICHAEL SHERIDAN WHO DIED JULY 15th 1883 AGED 75 YEARS. ALSO IN MEMORY OF THEIR CHILDREN MICHAEL, JOHN, JAMES, AND THOMAS WHO DIED YOUNG. R I P.
49) FEAGAN… Domed stone leaning very much forward. Only the remains of a sunburst to be seen. “ERECTED BY JOHN FEAGAN IN MEMORY OF HIS BELOVED MOTHER MARY FEAGAN OTHERWISE…… DEPARTED THIS LIFE…….JANUARY…..THOMAS FEAGAN WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE 10th DECEMBER 1767 AGED 21 YEARS”.
50) QUINN… A full sunburst with Gloria etc around it and a rose at each side. A frame surrounds the inscription. This is a big heavy stone tilting backwards. “THIS MONUMENT WAS ERECTED BY JOHN QUINN IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER WHO DEPd THIS LIFE MARCH 2nd 1831 AGED 48 YEARS”. LOWER DOWN “ALSO HIS UNCLE SYLVESTER QUINN WHO DEPd THIS LIFE FEB. THE ………1839 AGED 85 YEARS”.
51) MC CABE…Cross with IHS in centre. A white limestone with inscription on base. “ERECTED BY MARY O’BRIEN KANSAS CITY U S A IN MEMORY OF HER PARENT JOHN McCABE WHO DIED 25th JUNE 1858, ANNE HIS WIFE WHO DIED 19th JANy 1881. JAMES McCABE THEIR SON WHO DIED…….OCT 1913. BRIDGET……WHO DIED 1st JAN. 1899. AND THEIR INFANT CHILD WHO DIED 3rd JUNE 1897”. R I P at bottom.
52) SWEENEY…Ringed cross, flaming heart in centre with a crown of thorns around it. Fleur de lys at ends of shafts of the cross. “ERECTED BY BRIDGET SWEENEY IN LOVING MEMORY OF HER FATHER PATRICK SWEENEY WHO DIED 8 NOV. 1928 AGED 84 YEARS. ALSO HER MOTHER BRIDGET WHO DIED 31st OCT. 1929 AGED 82 YEARS. THEIR DAUGHTER BRIDGET SWEENEY DIED 20th JULY 1955”. Rennick and R I P at base.
53) SHERIDAN…Small modern grey limestone. Peaked stone with IHS in a circle at top. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF LAURENCE SHERIDAN RETAINE DIED 9th OCT. 1963 AGED 84 Yrs. ALSO HIS WIFE JULIA DIED 10th MAY 1968 AGED 66 Yrs. R I P”.
54) This stone is much sunk in the ground, leaning forward and the top half broken off and not found by us. A frame around the sides. This lower part of the headstone contains none of the inscription unfortunately.
55) BRAY… An iron cross much rusted. “IN MEMORY OF MICHAEL BRAY DIED 27th JAN. 1958. R I P”.
Headstone on west side of graveyard
56) Wooden cross with no inscription.
57) STANLEY… Small thin marble stone. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF PATRICK STANLEY DIED JAN. 30th 1905. ALSO ANN DIED FEB 28th 1931. THEIR SON PATRICK MARCH 5th 1965”.
58) FEENEY… Cross with IHS in centre and foliage and small cross at the ends of the shafts. “THOMAS FEENEY DUNDERRY NAVAN DIED 30th MAY 1934. ALSO HIS WIFE CATHERINE DIED 25th MAY 1935. ERECTED BY THEIR SON DENNIS. R I P”.
59) CLARKE… Large stone with ringed cross. Flaming heart in an inset and rope effect. “ERECTED BY FRANCIS & JOHN CLARKE IN MEMORY OF THEIR FATHER WILLIAM CLARKE WHO DIED MARCH 1875. THEIR MOTHER JANE CLARKE WHO DIED DEC. 1891. THEIR BROTHER THOMAS DIED FEB. 1855. AND OF MARY CLARKE WIFE OF THE ABOVE JOHN WHO DIED APRIL 1875, FRANCIS DIED 28th JANUARY 1920. ALSO JOHN DIED 25th FEB. 1931”. R I P at bottom.
60) GRAY… This stone is similar to No. 59. “ERECTED BY JAMES BRAY IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER JAMES WHO DIED 20th MAR. 1892 AGED 71. HIS SISTER JULIA BRODERICK DIED 18 APR. 1896 AGED 34. JERSEY CITY U S A. HIS SISTER JANE 26 FEB. 1908 AGED 33 YEARS. HIS MOTHER JULIA DIED 23 DEC. 1912. SACRED HEART OF JESUS HAVE MERCY ON THEM. JAMES DIED JUNE 26th 1940 AGED 73 YEARS”.
61) HALPENNY… Much sunk in the ground. Semi sunburst over IHS and a cross. “THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY MARY HALPENNY IN MEMORY OF HER HUSBAND JOSEPH HALPENNY DIED FEB. Ye 14. 1762 AGED 58 Y ….. ALSO HUGH MALONE DIED SEPT. Ye 9. 1762 AGED 26Yrs”.
Headstones on north side of ruined church.
62) REILLY… Small peaked stone. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MY HUSBAND JOHN REILLY DUNLOUGH ROBINSTOWN DIED 3rd MAY 1965. ALSO HIS SON JAMES DIED 29th APRIL 1935, ALSO HIS WIFE KATHLEEN DIED 26th SEPT. 1970 AGED 72. R I P”. At base ‘ERECTED BY HIS WIFE KATHLEEN’.
63) SMYTH… Peaked stone with cross and flowers on each side. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF JAMES SMYTH YELLOW WALLS DIED 11th DEC. 1932. HIS WIFE MARGARET DIED 9th MAY 1949. THEIR DAUGHTER ELLEN”.
64) YORE… Ringed cross with flaming heart in centre, and fancy flower design on the limbs. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MARGARET YORE DIED JUNE 6th 1931 AGED 58 YEARS. ALSO HER BELOVED HUSBAND JAMES DIED FEB. 17th 1959 AGED 88 YEARS”.
65) NEVILLE… Ringed cross with flaming heart in centre. “ERECTED BY RICHARD NEVILLE IN MEMORY OF HIS BROTHER JAMES WHO DIED THE 26th OF APRIL 1926 AGED 54. THE ABOVE RICHARD NEVILLE DIED 3rd JULY 1936 AGED 81 YEARS”. Curb around this grave.
66) D’ARCY… A very elaborate white marble headstone with a ringed cross and flaming heart in its centre. “ERECTED IN LOVING MEMORY OF PATRICK D’ARCY, GAURIE HOUSE, DUNDERRY WHO DIED 17th JANUARY 1925 AGED 61 YEARS. SACRED HEART OF JESUS HAVE MERCY ON HIM. PRAY FOR THE SOUL OF Mrs CECILIA D’ARCY WHO DIED DEC. 10th 1937. THEIR SON THOMAS DIED SEPT. 20th 1955 AGED 49 YEARS. THEIR SON DAN DIED 1st NOV. 1965 AGED 64 YEARS. R I P”.
67) CARROLL… White marble slab like a scroll. Grave within a curb. “SACRED HEART OF JESUS HAVE MERCY ON THE SOUL OF MARY F. ( CIS ) CARROLL NEE DARCY OF DUBLIN AND FORMERLY OF BALLARDIN DUNDERRY. DIED 15th SEPT. 1972 AGED 66 Yrs. HER HUSBAND THOMAS G. CARROLL DIED 16th MARCH 1976 R I P”.
68) D’ARCY… A very tall celtic cross with a flaming heart and the Irish rope design over the stone. This grave has a curb. “ERECTED BY JOHN DARCY BALLARDIN IN MEMORY OF HIS BELOVED WIFE MARY WHO DIED 8 JULY 1919 AGED 54 YEARS. PRAY FOR THE SOUL OF THE ABOVE JOHN WHO DIED 17th OCT. 1921 AGED 61 YEARS. THEIR GRANDDAUGHTER DIED 6th APRIL 1943. ALSO THEIR SON WILLIAM BALLARDIN DIED 27th AUGUST 1950 AGED 48 YEARS. HOLY YEAR. R I P. MOST SACRED HEART OF JESUS HAVE MERCY ON THEM. IMMACULATE HEART OF MARY PRAY FOR THEM”.