Servants at Oldbridge 1901

Living in the Main House

Butler: Lamond Landford, aged 32, born Scotland, Presbyterian.

Foot Servant: Joseph Irwin, aged 22, born Down.

Housemaid: Eliza Skilbeck, aged 30., born Yorkshire.

Cook: Margaret Williamson, aged 40.

Dairy Maid: Anna Moore, aged 29.

Kitchen Maid: Loreson Moore, aged 20, born Meath

Under Housemaid: Margaret Levingston

Laundress: Bridget Murphy, aged 60.

Garden Labourer: James Craven, aged 56.

Stableman: James Fleming, aged 20

Stableman: John Fleming, aged 18

Gamekeeper: Edward Kiernan, aged 50, born Westmeath, RC.

Groom: John Halligan, aged 22. Halligans made up of father and two sons.

Farm labourer: Patrick Halligan, aged 70

Farm Labourer: Patrick Halligan, aged 19

General Labourer: Thomas McDonnell, aged 45, his niece Mary.

Laundry Maid: Mary McDonnell, aged 28.

House Carpenter: Joseph Reynolds, aged 54. His son-

Carpenter’s Apprentice: William Reynolds, aged 17.

Gardener: John Low, aged 28,born Scotland Cof S. Low and Brock living in one dwelling.

Gardenboy: William Brock, aged 16, born Meath, CofI.

Servants at Oldbridge 1911

Butler: James Kirwan, aged 51, born Wicklow RC

Cook: Bridget Mary Smith, aged 41, born Cork, RC

Laundry Maid: Mary McDonnell, aged 40 RC Her uncle Thomas was a farm labourer on the estate.

Servants living in Main House

  1. Robert Beattie, aged 35, born Monaghan. CofI.
  2. William Pennafield, aged 28, born Cavan, CofI.
  3. William Cuffe, aged 16, born Dublin, CofI.
  4. Hamet McAdam, aged 65, born England, CofI.
  5. May Anne Cavanagh, aged 50, born Monaghan, CofI.
  6. Rose Mandon, aged 24, born Kildare, CofI.
  7. Georgina Shine, aged 20, born Limerick, CofI.
  8. Cecilia O’Reilly, aged 24, born Longford, RC
  9. Mary Lee, aged 20, born Kildare, RC..

Coachman: Peter Burke, aged 45, born Meath RC

Coachman: Patrick Kavanagh, aged 28, born Meath RC

Stableboy: Arthur Abbott, aged 18, born Longford

Coachmen and stableboy, burke, Kavanagh and Abbott,  lived in one house.

Stableman: Joseph Lynch, aged 26, born Meath, RC.

Stableman: Hugh Smith, aged 21, born Westmeath, RC.

2 stablemen Smith and Lynch living in one house

Head Gardener: Edward Rutherford, aged 32, born Kildare, CofI.

Gardener: Michael Cumiskey, aged 50, born Meath RC

Garden Boy: Michael Cumiskey, aged 20, born Meath RC

Garden Boy: Patrick Cumiskey, aged 23, born Meath RC. Father and two sons Cumiskeys working in the gardens

Garden Servant: Archibold Boyd, aged 18, born Armagh, CofI.

Garden Servant: Henry McCann, aged 18, born Mayo, CofI.Boyd and McCann lived in the one dwelling.

Garden Servant: Edward McDonnell, aged 20, born Meath, RC.

Yardman: Joseph McDonnell, aged 16, born Meath, RC.

Farm labourer: Patrick McDonnell, aged 24, born Meath RC.Three brothers working for the Coddingtons

Herd and Dairy: James Johnston, aged 39, born Scotland. CofI.

Coachman: Nicholas Craven, aged 58, born Meath, RC.

Herd: Hugh Scott, aged 47, Born Donegal. Cof I.

Land Steward: Isaac Bolton, aged 36, born Wexford, Church of Ireland.

John Smart was steward for the Coddingtons for thirty years. John Smart – steward in 1901. He died in 1923 aged 75. He was a native of Scotland and a well known horticulturalist. He died at Weir Hope 21 March 1923.

Groom John Bates was groom at Glenmore and possibly Oldbridge – buried in Donore churchyard.  

The Robbery at Colonel Coddington’s, Oldbridge. May 1893

At the Duleek Petty _Sessions on Tuesday, before Mr A G Meldon, R A I, Messrs F Kelly, J P, and G Gradwell, J.P., a man named Henry Imirson, employed at Colonel Coddington’s residence, Oldbridge, was charged by Sergeant Hackett, Duleek, with having on the 17th and 21st April, and other dates, stolen sums of money amounting to £12 4s , the property of Col Coddington. The deposition made by Mrs C Coddington was read, in which she stated that she was in the habit of keeping money, gold and silver, in a despatch box in her bedroom. She missed altogether £12 4a which was taken at different times during the year from this box. The box was always kept locked and the key was generally left on the foot of the looking glass on the table. On the previous Thursday her husband marked three sovereigns and five half sovereigns and with six shilling pieces and a halfpenny, she put them all into the despatch box, leaving it locked and leaving the key in the usual place. She counted the money at certain intervals to see if any would be missing, and was usually at home each day, but the Monday after the money was put in marked, she happened to be away forabout two hours and a half in the afternoon. On examining the box in which the money was placed, about 10.30 on Monday night. one of the marked half sovereigns was missing.

During the entire time no one had access to the room except the members of the family and the servants. She kept examining the box at intervals during the following days, and on Friday another of the marked half sovereigns had disappeared and some of the silver that was not marked. The next time she saw the money was when produced by Sergeant Hackett. The deposition of Colonel Coddington was next read. He stated that in consequence of what his wife told him about the money having been stolen out of the despatch box in her room, he thought that the best course to pursue was to mark some of the money and await the further developments. He corroborated the evidence of Mrs Coddington regarding the-periodical examination of the box, and identified the two half sovereigns Sergeant Hackett produced as those marked by him. The coins were found in a box in Imirson’s room.

Sergeant Hackett’s deposition was to the effect that on the evening of April 21st he proceeded with Constable Duffy to Oldbridge, and searched Imirson’s room, where he found the marked coins in a box. He arrested Imirson and charged him with taking the money, and having admitted first that he stole some, Imirson afterwards admitted that he stole all. The accused, when asked would he wish to be tried summarily, at once pleaded guilty, saying he would make good the money he had taken. The prisoner was sentenced to two months imprisonment with hard labour.

Larceny of Silver Plate at Oldbridge. Pantry Boy Charged.

2 September 1916

Thomas Meade, aged 17, was charged in custody by D I M’Cormack with the larceny of six silver liqueur measures and a morocco case containing two silver knife rests, the property of Capt Arthur Coddington of Oldbridge, and value for about £7.

James Kirwan, a butler, in the employment of Capt Coddington, said that at 2 p m on the 28th August, the accused, who was employed as pantry – boy at Oldbridge, left the house. He had previously asked witness for leave to go home to Dublin, but was refused permission. Shortly afterwards he left and witness looked round to see if there was anything missing. He found, that a morocco case containing six silver liqueur measures, which were in the press in the pantry, were gone. – Witness went immediately to Drogheda and reported the matter at the South Quay Police Barracks. At about 3 45 p m on the same day, Constable Doherty produced to him a morocco case containing two silver knife rests which he identified as being the property of Capt. Coddington. He gave no person authority to remove this case which was also in the pantry from which the other articles were stolen.

Constable James Doherty said that at 2 30 p m the previous day, the last witness reported at the South Quay Barracks, Drogheda, that the morocco cases in question were missing, He went immediately to the station and arrested the prisoner, and found in his possession the cases. He found on his person also 19s 9d in silver 4½din coppers, a postal order for 3s and 7d in postage stamps, which had evidently been removed from letters. When arrested Meade said —”I found the cases and a box of cigarettes at the cow shed between two buckets of water.” On the charge being read prisoner pleaded guilty and was remanded pending further enquiries as to previous character.  

Gardener Commits Suicide.

 Drogheda Independent, Saturday, November 18, 1916

Another tragedy has occurred at Oldbridge. The last, which took place about two years ago, was a murder, this one is a suicide. The facts were detailed at the inquest on Saturday:—

Mr Daniel Corry, J P, the Coroner for South Meath, held an inquest on Saturday last at Coddington Hall, Oldbridge, touching the death of Jas Sleigh, about 35, a gardener in the employment of Captain Coddington, who was found dead the previous evening with his throat cut, in a potting shed attached to the home.

Sergeant Phillips, Duleek, represented the police.

Christopher M’Cormick, assistant gardener at the Hall, said he had known Sleigh for about two yean. During that time witness formed the opinion that he was a man of perfectly sound mind. Yes, there was some little matter that got him into trouble—he was before the R M. Coroner—I do not think we need go into that case. Witness—Deceased was crying and fretting about what he had done for about three days after it had happened. He was brought before the R.M. on November 1st and remanded. Witness last saw him alive about 1.10 on the previous day (Friday). He was then at work in the garden as usual and was quite sober. But he looked unwontedly pale, and just barely replied to witness when the latter enquired what was to be done after dinner. When witness returned to the garden about five o’clock he went into the potting shed, where he found deceased lying dead with his throat out. Jas Stafford, Thos Martin and Frank Cogan had left the garden with witness at 1.10 o’clock and did not return until five o’clock. In spite of a row the steward, Richard G Henry, and deceased seemed always to be friendly with each other. In fact, Sleigh often said since November 1st, that the steward was a very nice man and he (deceased) was very sorry for what he had done.

Joseph Lynch, groom, said he also knew Sleigh for over two years. His mental condition was perfectly sound. Witness had been speaking to him at 9 o’clock the previous morning. At that time he was looking very well; but since Wednesday he had seemed greatly depressed and only bade the time of the day to witness, with whom he had been always cheerful and pleasant previously. On Monday when talking to Sleigh the latter told witness he had lost his character and might get gaol. He said Mr Henry was a very nice man, and it was through some stories he had heard he had done the wrong. “

Dr Hunt said he was summoned to Oldbridge at 5.15 the previous day and he arrived about 5.30. He went straight to the house in the garden and found a man lying with his face towards the east and his head to the west. His face was on the ground, and there was a pool of blood, round his neck. There was blood sprinkled all round the house. There was a blood-stained razor on a bench quite close. He was absolutely dead and had been for some hours, as the body was quite cold. There was a very large lacerated wound in the neck. This wound extended from one angle of the jaw to the other. It out right into the bone. The bone itself was even out. The wind pipe and food passage were completely cut. The skin was so lacerated that it was evident there must have been several attempts to cause the wound. The hands were tightly closed. In witness’s opinion death was due to hemhorrage resultant on the wound. The jury found a verdict in accordance with the medical evidence, and added that in their opinion the wound was self-inflicted during a fit of temporary insanity. They, expressed sorrow with the deceased’s widow, to whom the coroner also offered his condolence.

The deceased, who was a native of Scotland, was aged 35 years, had been about two years at Oldbridge and was married.