Andrew Caldwell was a lawyer and politician. Born in 1732 Andrew’s family held lands at Newgrange. The Caldwells had acquired the lands in 1699. His grandmother, Elizabeth, was the daughter of Benjamin Heywood a merchant from Drogheda. He was called to the Irish bar in 1760. His wealth allowed him to take an interest in art and architecture. He is reputed to have written ‘Observations on architecture’ which was published by the Freeman’s Journal in 1768-9. His favourite architect was William Chambers.
When his father died in 1776 Andrew inherited the family estates at Newgrange. He served as an M.P. in the Irish Parliament from 1776 to 1790. It was unusual that a Presbyterian such as Caldwell was a member of parliament.
Caldwell was very active in various improvement societies in Dublin. He lived at Cavendish Row, Rutland Square (now Parnell Square). He was involved in the purchase of land for the botanic garden at Glasnevin, co. Dublin.
Caldwell died unmarried at Bray in 1808.
Portrait in National Galley of Ireland.