CHURCHTOWN GRAVEYARD (NEAR DUNDERRY, C0. MEATH)
HEADSTONES AND INSCRIPTIONS
Recorded by Dr Beryl F E Moore
Churchtown Parish in the Barony of lower Navan has only three townlands namely Churchtown, Dunderry and Halltown. There are the ruins of an old nave-chancel church situated on a fort and much covered by ivy. Cogan says its measurements are 67ft by 15ft 10ins, and he has a footnote as follows ‘There is a tradition in Churchtown Parish that a silver bell which belonged to this church was buried in the West end of the building near the Northern doorway, to secure it from the church robbers of the reformation. The secret of the exact spot has been handed down from father to son in the one family.’ Lewis tells us in his Topical Dictionary that in his day (1837) there were 448 inhabitants in Churchtown Parish. The graveyard is still used for burials and has a good wide walk around its outskirts now grass grown.
Headstones in the ruined church
1) DOWD – Upright slab with a small cross on top. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF JOHN DOWD DIED 20TH NOV.1879. HIS WIFE BRIDGET 28TH MAY 1918. ALSO THEIR SON THOMAS WHO DIED 6TH MAY 1906. THEIR DAUGHTERS BRIDGET DIED 23RD DEC. 1918 AND MARY DIED 6TH JAN. 1919”. At bottom ‘Erected by their Daughter Anne R I P’.
2) Iron cross with no inscription.
3) COSTIGAN – Fancy ringed cross with lamb in centre and ‘Ecce Agnus Dei’ around the top. “ERECTED BY MARY COSTIGAN IN MEMORY OF HER BELOVED HUSBAND WILLIAM COSTIGAN WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE SEPT. 21ST 1858 AGED 57 YEARS. ALSO MARY COSTIGAN DIED FEBy 20TH 1851 AGED 53 YEARS. AND ROSE WHATELY DIED FEBy 28TH 1864 AGED 64 YEARS. ALSO HILENA COSTIGAN DIED 31ST MARCH 1899. AND JANE COSTIGAN DIED 27TH APRIL 1922. ALSO EDWARD COSTIGAN DIED 3RD DEC. 1932. AND JEREMIAH COSTIGAN 4TH AUG. 1938”. At bottom Requiescant in Pace and Wade Ur Dublin Berkeley St.
4) MC CORMACK – Large celtic type cross with inscription on base. “ERECTED BY PATRICK McCORMACK IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER PATRICK DIED 15TH MARCH 1927. HIS MOTHER MARY DIED 22ND FEB. 1937”. At bottom R I P.
5) CONWAY – Domed slab with small cross on top, ornamented with foliage. ‘Gloria in Excelsis Deo’ around a full sunburst with a heart and a small cross inside. More foliage below, a rose and cross on either side. “THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY CATHOc CONWAY IN MEMORY OF HER BELOVED HUSBAND PATRICK CONWAY WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE ON THE 24TH DAY OF NOVr 1845 AGED 71 YEARS. PATRICK CONWAY DIED SEPT. 19TH 1932 AGED 72 YEARS. HIS WIFE ELIZABETH DIED AUG. 13TH 1940 AGED 76 YEARS. MARY CONWAY DIED 8TH FEB. 1955 AGED 45 Yrs”. At bottom R I P.
HEADSTONES AT EAST END OF CHURCH RUINS.
6) BOYLE – Plain domed stone with inscription on an inset and a small cross over it. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MRS SARAH BOYLE(CURRAGHTOWN) DIED 23RD SEPT. 1953 AGED 72 YEARS. ALSO HER HUSBAND PATRICK DIED 13TH JULY 1966”. At bottom R I P.
7) BOYLE – Dome top with circle around a cross and inscription on an inset. “IN MEMORY OF PATRICK BOYLE THE COMMONS NAVAN DIED 28TH JULY 1927. ALSO HIS SON CHRISTOPHER DIED 27TH MARCH 1955. HIS DAUGHTER ANNIE DIED 15TH MARCH 1955”.
8) BOYLE – Small stone with stepped top. There was originally some ornament in the middle of the top which is now gone. “ERECTED BY PATRICK AND BRIDGET BOYLE OF THE COMMONS NAVAN IN MEMORY OF THEIR BELOVED DAUGHTER JULIA WHO DIED THE 24TH MAY 1891 AGED 28 YEARS”. At bottom R I P.
9) MC LOUGHLIN – Modern grey limestone with cross IHS and flowers. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF CHRISTOPHER McLOUGHLIN DIED 28. FEB 1960 AGED 32. HIS FATHER CHRISTOPHER DIED 29 JAN. 1974 AGED 77”. At bottom R I P and Rennicks High St. Trim.
10) SMYTH – This large upright slab measures 5ft by 2ft and is 4 ins thick, and was found by Mrs Maguire and I lying on its side with the inscription innermost against the outside wall of the ruined church on the south side of the East window. It was covered by clay and stones and took over an hour to expose enough of it to read some of the inscription. There is a large cherub’s head and wings in the centre top. “THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY THOs….TH IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHEr….. SMYTH WHO DEPArTED MARCh 1773 AGED 70 YEARS. ALSO HIS ….. HER PETER SMYTH DEPArTED 3RD …y 1786 AGED 52 Yrs”. The oldfashioned F is used for S.
Headstones on south side of the ruined church
11) MC LOUGHLIN – Modern white marble headstone with solid cross and flaming heart in its centre. 2 limbs end in trefoil and 2 in ivy leaves. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF THOMAS McLOUGHLIN DIED 25TH JAN. 1952 AGED 62 YEARS. LAURENCE McLOUGHLIN DIED 29TH OCT. 1959 AGED 67 YEARS. MICHAEL McLOUGHLIN DIED 7 JUNE 1966 AGED 34 yrs. KATHLEEN WIFE OF THOMAS DIED 17 FEB. 1975 AGED 81 Yrs”. At bottom R I P.
12) MCC LAUGHLin – This stone was almost completely buried in the ground. It is a thick slab with a domed top with cross IHS and heart. “HERE LYETH THE BODY OF ROBERT mccLAUGHLin WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE MAY THE 23RD 1760 AGED 72 YEARS. ALSO HIS WIFE ELeNOR MccLAUGHLin ALIAS RYAN WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE FEBry THE 8TH 1758 AGED 67 YEARS. THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY THEIR SON PATk Mcc LAUGHLin FOR HIM & HIS POSTERITY. REQUIESCANT IN PACE”.
13) DUNN – This stone had fallen on its face and become covered with more than a foot of clay leaving only a few inches of the top visible. Mr Richard Haworth spent two afternoons digging it up reading it and re-erecting it. It has a domed top with cross and IHS within a circle. A rosette on either side, with a flaming heart underneath. “ERECTED BY BRIDGET DUNN AS A TOKEN OF GRATITUDE FOR HER BELOVED HUSBAND DAVID DUNN OF BOYERSTOWN WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE THE 21ST OF JULY 1833 AGED 70 YEARS. ALSO HER MOTHER MARY KAVANAGH ALIAS McGUIRe WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE THE 8TH OF MAY 1817 AGED 78 YEARS”.
14) BOYLE – Stepped top with something missing in the centre. “ERECTED BY PATRICK AND BRIDGET BOYLE OF THE COMMONS NAVAN IN MEMORY OF THEIR BELOVED DAUGHTER JULIA WHO DIED 24TH MAY 1891 AGED 28 YEARS”.
15) MAGEE – Ringed cross with its hatlike top, flaming heart in its centre, scroll with ‘My Jesus Mercy’. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF EDWARD AND CATHERINE MAGEE, THEIR CHILDREN CHRISTY, KATE, EDDIE, JIM, TOM, ANNE, PETER. MARY MAGEE DIED DEC. 1952. JULIA MAGEE DIED 24TH MAY 1958”. At bottom ‘ERECTED BY JULIA MAGEE R I P’ AND J. BENNETT ARDBRACCAN.
16) MAGEE – Domed top with flaming heart in a circle. “ERECTED BY PATRICK MAGEE MEADSTOWN IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER JAMES MAGEE WHO DIED 1870. HIS MOTHER BRIDGET DIED SEPT. 1885. HIS WIFE ELIZABETH DIED 28TH SEPT. 1884. HIS BROTHER JAMES DIED 8TH APR. 1897. THE ABOVE PATRICK DIED 6TH MAY. 1919 AGED 78 YEARS. ALSO BRIDGET KANE MEADSTOWN DIED 1ST APRIL 1955”. At bottom R I P and Gerrard.
17) LOUGHAN – Stone with domed top, cross and IHS. “HER LYETH THE BODY OF BRIGt LOUGHAN WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE APRIL Ye 15. 1752 AGED 46 YEARS. MARY LOUGHAN DYED MAY 1748 AGED 60 YEARS”.
18) LOUGHRAN – Ringed cross with flaming heart in centre and a flower at the end of each limb. This stone is covered with lichen. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF PETER LOUGHRAN SHAMBO WHO DIED APRIL 10TH 1898. ALSO LILY LOUGHRAN DIED 21ST AUG. 1952. JAMES LOUGHRAN DIED 9TH APRIL 1962”. At bottom R I P.
19) LAUGHRAN – This high stone is covered with lichen, it has a domed top and Gloria etc around it. In the centre we get a cross IHS and a heart with foliage growing out of it. A cherub’s head and wings at each side. “ERECTED BY FRANCIS LAUGHRAN OF SHAMBO IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER PATRICK LAUGHRAN DEPARTED THIS LIFE THE 20TH OF MARCH 1807 AGED 65 YEARS. ALSO HIS MOTHER BRIDGET LAUGHRAN ALIAS MADAN DEPARTED THIS LIFE FEBRUARY THE 11TH 1795 AGED 45 YEARS. ALSO HIS BROTHER PHILIP LAUGHRAN DEPARTED THIS LIFE JANUARY THE 30TH 1808 AGED 24 YEARS. FRANCIS LAUGHRAN SHAMBO WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE 31ST DECEMBER 1901. ALSO HIS WIFE ELIZABETH LAUGHRAN WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE 30TH MARCH 1939”. R I P at bottom.
20) BRAY – White marble ringed cross with IHS in its centre and a fancy cross at the end of each li?b. “ERECTED BY PATRICK BRAY IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER DENIS BRAY WHO DIED 6TH FEB . 1895 AGED 79 YEARS. ALSO HIS BROTHER MICHAEL BRAY WHO DIED 3RD AUG. 1893 AGED 33 YEARS. ALSO HIS MOTHER ROSE WHO DIED 28TH MARCH 1913. AND PATRICK BRAY ROBINSTOWN DIED 15TH SEPT. 1953 AGED 86Yrs. HIS WIFE MARGARET DIED 4TH MAY 1970 AGED 86 Yrs”. Lower down we get “DELIA BRAY DIED 21ST MAY 1964. R I P”. At bottom Gerrard Navan.
21) DUNNE – Peaked stone with small ringed cross on top with IHS in its centre. The inscription is in a frame and begins with the initials ‘A.M.D.G.’ … Which stands for ‘Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam’ which is Latin for ‘To the greater Glory of God’ – This is the motto of the Jesuits. “A.M.D.G. IN MEMORY OF PATRICK DUNNE ONGENSTOWN AND MARY BARTLEY HIS WIFE. ERECTED BY THEIR SON THOMAS DUNNE JULY 1892. ALSO THERE DAUGHTER ALICE NEWMAN DIED FEB. 2ND 1916 AGED 78 YEARS”. This is one of the stones in this graveyard in which ‘Their’ is wrongly spelt.
22) OWENS – Domed top with floral designs and circles on each side. In centre IHS and heart with flames issuing from it and 2 barbs stuck in it. ‘Glory be to’ on left and ‘God on high’ on right. The inscription is under a border. “ERECTED BY PETER OWENS IN MEMORY OF HIS WIFE ELIZABETH OWENS ALIAS QUIRK WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE JANry 7TH 1807 AGED 52 YEARS”. Then we get a scroll and in different lettering “ANDREW BAKER DIED 17TH JAN. 1961”.
23) BAKER – Modern limestone with cross on 3 steps at top. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF JACK BAKER GAINSTOWN NAVAN DIED 5TH AUG. 1935. PADDY DIED 2ND SEPT. 1939. RICHARD DIED 2ND FEB 1951. MARY BAKER KILCAIRN NAVAN DIED 14TH SEPT. 1953. ANDREW DIED 17TH JAN. 1961. CHARLES BAKER KILCAIRN DIED 18TH JAN. 1967. ERECTED BY HIS SON CHARLES R I P”.
24) OWENS – Domed top with IHS and cross but the ornamentation on this headstone is very worn and the inscription very difficult to read. “THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY THOs OWENS TO THE MEMORY OF HIS SON THOs OWENS WHO DIED OCTOBER 1872 AGED…… PATSY JAN.1909. CATHERINE DEC. 1913. PATRICK MARCH 1927”.
25) OWENS – There is the base and lower part of a big slab with no inscription on it. Nearby is a large slab lying on the ground with the inscription uppermost and we believe them to be the two parts of the same large headstone. This latter piece was completely covered in clay and grass until we dug it up and cleaned it. It has a domed top with a cross in the centre and a cherub with wings on each side. ‘Gloria in Excelsis Deo’ around the top. “ERECTED BY WILLm OWENS OF PALMERS-TOWN IN MEMORY OF HIS BELOVED FATHER Mr MARTIN OWENS NAVAN DIED 22ND DECr 1820 AGED 52 YEARS. ALSO OF HIS BELOVED MOTHER Mrs CATHERINE OWENS WHO DIED 27TH MARCH 1837 AGED 75 YEARS. AND HIS BROTHER SIMON WHO DIED 26TH JUNE 1822 AGED 22 YEARS. BROTHER PATRICK WHO DIED 15TH MARCH 1834 AGED 45 YEARS. HERE ALSO ARE INTERRED THE REMAINS OF THE ABOVE WILLIAM OWENS WHO DIED 14TH MARCH 1856 AGED 55 YEARS. ANDREW OWENS LISTOKE DROGHEDA WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE 2ND JUNE 1893”.
26) FITZSIMONS – Ringed cross at top of a domed headstone. “ERECTED BY LAURENCE FITZSIMONS IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER PATRICK FITZSIMONS WHO DIED MARCH 10TH 1898 AGED 83 YEARS. ALSO HIS DAUGHTER JULIA WHO DIED 1887 AGED 15 YEARS”.
27) DELANY – This massive tabletomb which stood on 6 pedestal stones now lying down or out of place. The slab is broken across the middle. There is a cross and IHS at the top. “ERECTED TO THE MEMORY OF LAURENCE AND MARGARET DELANY OF NAVAN, OF MARGARET BYRNE, OF THOMAS DELANY, OF MARGARET DELANY AND OF LAURENCE DELANY. OF YOUR CHARITY PRAY FOR THE SOUL OF GERALD O’REILLY OF KNOCKUMBER HOUSE NAVAN DEPt THIS LIFE JUNE 29TH 1878 AGED 38 YEARS”. At bottom Requiescant in Pace.
28) LEANY – This large heavy stone is tilting forward and difficult to read. In a full sunburst we get a cross IHS and a flower. A cherub’s head and wings on each side. ‘Gloria in’ on the left side and ‘Excelsis Deo’ on the right. A frame around the inscription and a leafy trail outside it. “HERE LIETH THE BODY OF NICHOLAS LEANY WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE ON THE 20TH JULY 1769 AGED 67 YEARS. ALSO HIS WIFE CHRISTIAN LEANY ALIAS SHERLOCK DEPARTED 20TH JUNE 1776 AGED 62 YEARS. ERECTED BY THEIR SON WILLm AND HIS POSTERITY”.
29) ROURKE – Domed top with full sunburst around a cross IHS and heart with a plant growing out of it. Cherub and wings on each side. “THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY MICHAEL ROURKE IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER JAMES ROURKE WHO DEPd THIS LIFE AUGUST THE 8TH 1814 AGED 64 YEARS. ALSO HIS BROTHER JAMES ROURKE WHO DEPd THIS JULY THE 29TH 1820 AGED 23 YEARS. ALSO HIS SISTER ELIZABETH ROURKE WHO DEPd THIS LIFE MARCH THE 7TH 1832 AGED 34 YEARS”. At the back in a frame we get ‘Remember man as you pass by, as you are now so once was I, as I am now so will you be, remember man to pray for me’.
30) REILLY – Modern ringed cross with its hatlike top, heart with flames in centre. Boss on each limb. ‘Jesus have mercy’ on shaft. “ERECTED IN MEMORY OF FRANCIS REILLY HANLONSTOWN WHO DIED OCT. 2. 1940 AGED 67. ALSO HIS WIFE JANE WHO DIED JUNE 29TH 1954 AGED 81 MARIAN YEAR. ALSO THEIR SON JOHN REILLY GAINSTOWN DIED 22ND APRIL 1957”.
31) MC CABE – Peaked stone with small ringed cross with flaming heart in a circle over inscription. 2 flowers on each side. “ERECTED BY ROBERT McCABE IN LOVING MEMORY OF HIS PARENTS BERNARD McCABE WHO DIED SEPT. 15TH 1895 AND BRIGID McCABE WHO DIED OCT. 5TH 1902 AND THEIR CHILDREN JANE ROSE AND MICHAEL McCABE”. At bottom R I P.
32) MC CABE – Ringed cross on a white marble headstone with IHS in centre and a tulip on each side. 3 ivy leaves over the inscription. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF DENISE McCABE DIED JAN. 13TH 1935 AGED 65 Yrs. HIS WIFE MARGARET DIED AUG. 26TH 1963 AGED 83 Yrs. THEIR SON BERNARD McCABE DIED APRIL 30TH 1962 AGED 50 Yrs. ALSO BABY DONAL McCABE DIED SEPT. 3RD 1960”. At bottom R I P.
33) LEANY – This stone tilts backwards and has a notched top with an IHS in a very faint sunburst but the cross is gone. “THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY LAURENCE LEANY IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER THOMAS LEANY WHO DIED THE 25 OF MARCH 17 (SCROLL) 21 AGED 58 YEARS. ALSO HIS DAUGHTER MARGARET LEANY WHO DIED 7 OF MAY 1774 AGED 38 YEARS”. This stone has several scrolls in its inscription one being in the middle of the year 1721.
34) A broken piece of stone without inscription.
35) LEANY – A heavy domed stone tilting forward very much, with a full sunburst, cross IHS and flaming heart. At each side an ornamental oval carving. “HERE LIETH THE BODY OF WILLIAM LEANY WHOSE FAMILY HAS BEEN INHABITANTS OF ALLENSTOWN SINCE THE YEAR 1693 WHO DEPd THIS LIFE AUGUST THE 19. 1752 AGED 73 Y… ALSO HIS SON LAURENCE WHO DEPd DECEMBER THE 17TH 1780 AGED 37. ALSO MARY BRADY ALIAS LEANY WHO DEPd MARCH THE 13TH 1805 AGED 21 Yrs. ALSO THOMAS LEANY WHO DEPd JANUARY THE 28TH 1808 68 Yrs. AND LAURENCE HIS SON DEPd JANUARY THE 13TH 1813 AGED 29 Yrs”.
36) LOUGHLAN – A very old stone tilting to the left, half buried in the ground with a notched top, sunburst around a cross IHS and heart with 3 barbs. “ERECTED BY JAMES LOUGHLAN IN MEMORY OF HIS SISTER ALLEY LOUGHLAN WHO DIED F…. 1791 AGED 39 Yrs. ALSO HER DAUGHTER MARY AGED 8 Yrs”.
37) SMITH – Peaked top with a rolled edge. An oval inset at the top with a ringed cross on a step and a Maltese cross on each side. “ERECTED BY ANNE SMITH (around the top) IN MEMORY OF HER DEAR HUSBAND LAURENCE SMITH WHO DIED ON THE 5TH DAY OF FEBry 1910 AGED 64 YEARS. ALSO HIS FATHER JOHN SMITH WHO DIED ON THE 29TH DAY OF JULY 1888 AGED 70 YEARS. AND HIS MOTHER MARY SMITH WHO DIED IN MARCH 1870 AGED 60 YEARS. AND HIS BROTHER JAMES WHO DIED IN 1883. ALSO JOHN SMITH WHO DIED IN 1874.” Each entry has a stroke after it. The stone is white with lichen.
38) SMITH – A well kept grave with a curb around it. A modern white marble stone with a cross on the right side, the head of our Lord in the centre, and 3 trefoil leaves on a spray underneath it. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF JAMES SMITH GAINSTOWN DIED 5TH OCT. 1942. HIS BROTHER PATRICK DIED 15TH DEC. 1943. MY FATHER JOHN DIED 24TH MARCH 1953. MY MOTHER MARY DIED 2ND NOV. 1972. At bottom ‘R I P ERECTED BY THEIR DAUGHTER MARGARET ‘ on the right side and Rennicks Trim on the left side.
39) Weldon – This stone is leaning backwards and much buried in the ground. A full sunburst with a circle around a cross IHS and a heart. ‘MOMENTO’on left and ‘MORI’on right side. “this stone was erected by Thomas Weldon in memory of his beloved son Michael Weldon who departed December 21st 1804”.
40) HALLEGAN – Domed top with crucifixion and a draped mantle underneath and a cherub’s head on each side. The whole stone is covered in lichen. “ERECTED BY THOs HALLEGAN IN MEMORY OF HIS BROTHER SIMON WHO DEPd THIS LIFE ON 6TH JUNE1823 AGED 18 YEARS. OF HIS FATHER JAMES WHO DEPd THIS LIFE 10TH OF DECr 1839 AGED 65 YEARS”.
41) FARRELLY – A white marble stone inside a curb with a ringed cross on top and IHS on its centre. “ERECTED BY THOMAS FARRELLY IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER JAMES FARRELLY WHO DIED FEBry 14TH 1869 AGED 72 YEARS. HIS MOTHER ELIZABETH FARRELLY DIED MARCH 31ST 1881 AGED 76 YEARS. HIS SON WILLIAM WHO DIED APRIL 16TH 1876 AGED 3 YEARS. ALSO HIS DAUGHTER KATE WHO DIED JUNE 7TH 1895 AGED 17 YEARS. HIS DAUGHTER AGNES DIED 23RD AUG. 1916. HIS DAUGHTER LIZZIE DIED 3RD JULY 1918. HIS WIFE ELLEN FARRELLY DIED 1ST MAR. 1923 AGED 78 YEARS. THE ABOVE THOs FARRELLY DIED 14TH FEBy 1927 AGED 85 YEARS.” At bottom “THOMAS FARRELLY DIED 10TH MAR. 1969 AGE 63 Yrs R I P”. Gerrard at left bottom and Navan at right
42) BYRNE – Slab with cross on top but it has been broken off and not replaced. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF ELLEN BYRNE WHO DIED JULY 21ST 1888 AGED 16 YEARS. PATRICK BYRNE DIED 9TH JULY 1908. MARY BYRNE DIED 2ND DECEMBER 1912”.
43) Iron cross with no name or date.
44) MC GINNIS – Notched top with cross IHS and flaming heart in centre of sunburst. “THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY CHARLES McGINNIS IN MEMORY OF HIS BROTHER JAMES DECEASed FEBry 16TH 1776 AGED 23 YEARS. ALSO THE BODY OF HIS FATHER WHO DIED FEBry THE 12TH 1783 AGED 90 YEARS. ALSO THE BODY OF MARY McGINNIS DAUGHTER TO THE ABOVE CHARLES WHO DIED JAN. THE 5TH 1791 AGED 19 YEARS”.
45) FAGAN – Large ringed cross with IHS in its centre. 0n base “IN MEMORY OF THOMAS FAGAN CHURCHTOWN WHO DIED 23TH APR. 1877 AGED 83. HIS SON EUGENE WHO DIED 24TH APR. 1878 AGED 25 YEARS. MRS ANNIE FAGAN WHO DIED 25TH NOV. 1888 AGED 74 YEARS. PATRICK FAGAN DIED 11TH NOV. 1890 AGED 38 YEARS. ELIZA FAGAN DIED 10TH OCT. 1902 LUKE FAGAN DIED 12TH NOV. 1902 AGED 67 YEARS. THOMAS FAGAN DIED 16TH FEBry 1923. PATRICK FAGAN ANTYLSTOWN DIED MAY 1901. HIS BROTHER JOHN DIED 20TH OCT. 1914. HIS MOTHER DIED 14TH AUG. 1931. HIS FATHER DIED 30TH OCT. 1931. HIS BROTHER THOMAS DIED 26TH FEB. 1950”. At bottom R I P.
46) SMITH – A very big stone with its top broken off and not replaced. This top consisted of a very elaborate cross with IHS in its centre and a dove above and a rose on each side. On the base we get a cross and “MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON THE SOUL OF JAMES SMITH OF CHURCHTOWN WHO DIED ON THE 30TH OF MAY 1883. ALSO HIS DAUGHTER ANNE SMITH DIED THE 7TH DECEMBER 1905 AGED 42 YEARS”. 2 Latin quotations follow and I give their English meanings…. In te domine spearavi – In thee O Lord have I hoped. Non confundar in aeternum – I shall not be confounded for ever. On the side of the headstone we get “ALSO HIS WIFE ELIZABETH SMITH WHO DIED 28TH JULY 1914 R I P”.
47) MC NALLY – Ringed cross with its hatlike top and IHS in the centre of the base. “IN SAD AND LOVING MEMORY OF JAMES McNALLY TULLAGHANSTOWN WHO DIED 11TH FEB. 1924 ALSO HIS WIFE MARY WHO DIED 15TH AUG. 1925 AGED 73 YEARS R I P”.
48) RATTIGAN – Solid cross with IHS in its centre. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF NED RATTIGAN DIED 15TH 1936 WHOSE PARENTS JOSEPH RATTIGAN DIED 12TH JULY1937. MARY RATTIGAN DIED 30TH JAN. 1962 R I P”. At base Rennicks Trim.
49) RATTIGAN & BRADY – Ringed cross with flaming heart in centre. “ERECTED BY JOSEPH BRADY IN MEMORY OF HIS DAUGHTER ELLEN RATTIGAN DIED 6TH MARCH 1944 AGED 34 YEARS. ALSO MRS MARY BRADY (CHURCHTOWN) BELOVED WIFE OF JOSEPH BRADY DIED 27TH FEB. 1955. HER SON JOSEPH DIED 8TH APRIL 1962 AGED 42 YEARS. ALSO THE ABOVE JOSEPH DIED 11TH FEB. 1963 AGED 82 YRS R I P”.
50) Cement cross with cross in its centre. Inscription behind a glass panel in base but it can’t be read now.
51) KEENAN – Peaked stone with cross and IHS in centre. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF PATRICK KEENAN WHO DIED 30TH APRIL 1883. HIS WIFE MARGARET DIED 9TH NOV. 1909. THEIR SON TERENCE DIED 23RD JAN. 1927 AND THEIR DAUGHTERS MARY DIED 1ST MAY 1928 ALICE DIED 23RD DEC. 1936”.
52) FAY – This is a double plot with a curb around it. The headstone is a small white marble domed stone with a cross above the inscription. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MARY FAY HALLTOWN DIED 28TH OCT. 1956. HER HUSBAND JOHN DIED 27TH DEC. 1969”.
53) FAY – A limestone slab with a peaked top, cross in an inset. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MARY FAY WHO DIED 7TH APRIL 1914. HER HUSBAND PATRICK DIED 30TH DEC. 1941 R I P”.
54) SHAFFERY – Solid cross with heart in centre. “ERECTED BY JAMES SHAFFERY IN MEMORY OF HIS PARENTS HIS DAUGHTER MARY DIED THE 20TH OCT. 1937. ALSO THE ABOVE NAMED JAMES DIED 20TH JULY 1956. BRIDGET GAUGHAN DIED 11TH MARCH 1971. HIS WIFE MARY SHAFFERY DIED 11TH OCT. 1972. R I P”.
Headstones on north side of ruined church.
55) IVORY – Domed headstone with small cross on top. A 4-petalled flower in the centre of the cross and a flaming heart with a crown of thorns around it. “ERECTED BY JAMES AND PATRICK IVORY IN LOVING MEMORY OF THERE FATHER JOHN IVORY WHO DIED 10TH OF OCT. 1919. ALSO THERE MOTHER ANNE IVORY WHO DIED 27TH FEB. 1924”. R I P at bottom.
56 COOKE – White marble cross with IHS in centre. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MARY COOKE GRANGE DIED 4 DEC. 1946. CHRISTOPHER COOKE DIED 3 JAN 1951”. R I P at bottom.
57) BOYLAN – Large double plot enclosed by a curb and covered by chippings. White marble cross with IHS in centre. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF JAMES BOYLAN (ONGENSTOWN) DIED 14TH JAN. 1960. HIS WIFE ANNIE DIED 23 SEPT. 1968”. R I P at bottom.
58) REILLY – Peaked top with cross in an inset. “PRAY FOR THE REPOSE OF THE SOULS OF JAMES REILLY CHURCHTOWN DIED JAN.1909. HIS WIFE ANN DIED 29TH JUNE 1916. THEIR CHILDREN JACK DIED 12TH SEPT. 1945. PADDY DIED 15TH MAY 1948. MICHAEL DIED 10TH DEC. 1957. KATIE DIED 19TH APRIL 1964. JAMES DIED 16TH FEB. 1970. R I P”.
59) FLATTERY – Ringed cross tilting to left, flaming heart in centre and little circles in each limb. Below on each side is a 4-petalled flower. “SACRED HEART OF JESUS HAVE MERCY ON THE SOULS OF PETER FLATTERY DIED 8TH JAN.1911 AGED 36 YEARS. HIS FATHER PATRICK FLATTERY DIED 21ST MAY 1926 AGED 86 YEARS”. At bottom “ERECTED BY MARY FLATTERY R I P”.
60) TUITE – This grave has a curb and chippings. Ringed cross with flaming heart in centre and fancy ornamentation. “ERECTED BY PATRICK AND ANDREW TUITE IN MEMORY OF THEIR FATHER ANDREW TUITE WHO DIED 22ND AUG. 1903 AGED 67 YEARS. ALSO TWO SONS OF THE ABOVE ANDREW TUITE NAMLEY PATRICK TUITE WHO DIED ON THE 3RD SEPTEMBER 1924 AGED 62 YEARS, AND ANDREW TUITE WHO DIED 22ND SEPTEMBER 1924 AGED 58 YEARS. MRS ELIZABETH FINEGAN DIED 23RD SEPTEMBER 1942 AGED 79 YEARS. MRS MARY A TUITE BOYERSTOWN DIED 29TH MARCH 1955 AGED 75 YEARS”. Namely is spelt wrongly.
61) WELDON – White marble ringed cross with flaming heart in centre. 3 tulips and a sprig of ivy in the limbs of the cross. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF OUR DEAR MOTHER MARY WELDON CHURCHTOWN DIED 11TH FEB. 1948 AGED 48 YEARS. ALSO OUR DEAR FATHER MICHAEL WELDON DIED 11FEBy 1954 AGED 50 YRS”. At bottom R I P and ‘ERECTED BY THEIR LOVING FAMILY’.
62) CONNELL – Small cross on top of a peaked slab with a fancy cross in its centre and a flaming heart with a crown of thorns around it. “ERECTED BY HIS SORROWING WIFE AND CHILDREN IN SAD AND LOVING MEMORY OF PATRICK CONNELL OF ONGENSTOWN WHO DIED ON 15TH OCT. 1893. ALSO HIS DAUGHTER JANE WHO DIED ON 13TH JUNE 1894. ALSO MRS ELIZABETH CONNELL WHO DIED 22ND JUNE 1942”. At bottom ‘ON THEIR SOULS SWEET JESUS HAVE MERCY R I P”.
63) MC CORMACK – Ringed cross with flaming heart and crown of thorns in its centre and a fancy circle in each limb. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF PATRICK McCORMACK ONGENSTOWN WHO DIED 26TH MAY 1941. ALSO HIS WIFE MARGARET DIED 25TH JAN 1959 AGED 75 Yrs.”. At bottom ‘R I P. ERECTED BY HIS WIFE’.
I am very grateful to those who helped me in this graveyard ……
Mrs Emelda Plunkett
Mrs Josephine Maguire
Annemarie Quinn and