CORTOWN RUINED CHURCH AND GRAVEYARD CO. MEATH
HEADSTONES AND INSCRIPTIONS
Recorded by Dr. Beryl F. E. Moore & Mr. & Mrs. Cawkhill 1975
PECULIAR STONE – To the left entrance gate is a peculiar stone. In the west as a child I often saw such a stone and when there was a funeral some handicapped person sat on it with an extended arm for alms. There were no social services then.
GRAVEYARD – Cortown Graveyard is a very large one and used to contain a fort upon which the Church was built. This fort had very imposing outworks consisting of a fosse and rampart, only a small portion of which has survived to the north-west. Sir Wm. Wilde excavated what he called a ‘cist’ in 1845 in which he found ‘some bones in an ornamental urn’.
THE CHURCH – The dedication is St. Bohin (Baithen) friend and successor of St. Colmcille in the famous Iona Monastery. It is of the Chancel-nave type but all surviving walls are now only humps covered in grass. The measurements are …Chancel 18 ft. long by 18 ft. wide. Nave is 36 ft. by 18 ft. Two doors were situated in the north and south sides of the Nave.
Graves in chancel
1) O’REILLY 1793 – A large recumbent slab measuring 8 by 4 ft. which was completely covered by grass until found and exposed by us. It is perfect except for the top right hand corner which is cracked. In the centre of the top is a very fine carving of the O’Reilly coat of arms … Crest – an arm couped at the shoulder and holding a sword. Coat of Arms – a lion rampant on each side of a tree in full bloom. The roots, trunk and flowering branches are clearly to be seen. A snake is entwined around the trunk and coming down to earth. Below is a scroll with the motto: ‘FORTUDINE ET PRUDENTIA’. On either side of this motif is a sheaf of flowers of various kinds. Inscription is “THIS MONUMENT WAS ERECTED BY ANDREW O’REILLY OF CUIRAGH IN MEMORY OF HIM AND POSTERITY WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE AUGUST THE 20TH 1793 AGED 71 YEARS”.
2) O’REILLY 1858 …1903 – Very narrow thin upright stone which goes up to a point in the middle with IHS in the centre. “ERECTED BY ANDREW O’REILLY LATE OF DUBLIN IN MEMORY OF HIS WIFE ANNE WHO DIED 23RD JANy 1903 AGED 75 YEARS. ALSO HIS BROTHER JAMES LATE OF ATHBOY WHO DIED 4TH SEPT.1896 AGED 75 YEARS. ALSO HIS WIFE BRIDGET WHO DIED IN THE YEAR 1858”.
3) JORDAN 1875 … 85 – Small old upright stone (one of two inside a curb). The top of this stone is missing. We found part of it. ERECTED BY MARY JORDAN IN MEMORY OF HER SON JOHN JORDAN WHO DIED AUGUST 12TH 1875 AGED 20 YEARS. ALSO HER HUSBAND JAMES JORDAN DIED MARCH 17TH 1885 AGED 80 YEARS”.
4) HEALY 1916 & COYLE 1950…54 – This is the second stone within the iron curb. A large upright stone with a Celtic cross on top and flaming heart in centre. ERECTED BY FLIGHT COMMANDER JOHN DUNVILLE IN MEMORY OF HENRY HEALY WHO DIED 8TH AUG. 1916 FOR 31 YEARS HIS FAITHFUL SERVANT AND FRIEND. HE DIED AS HE LIVED DOING HIS DUTY. SACRED HEART OF JESUS HAVE MERCY ON HIS SOUL. ALSO MRS. ANNIE COYLE DIED 24TH MARCH 1954. PATRICK COYLE BOHERMEEN DIED 18TH OCT.1850.
Graves in nave
5) BALFE 1704 – This large thick slab lies on the floor of the nave broken into 4 pieces lying amongst a heap of stones and nearly covered by grass. At the top is a cross and IHS in a full sunburst. “ERECTED BY LAURENCE AND PATRICK BALFE IN MEMORY OF THEIR FATHER FRANCIS BALFE WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE 10 JANUARY ONE THOUSAND SEVEN HUNDRED AND FOUR AGED 73 YEARS”.
6) …. …. – Unlettered slab of large size lying on the ground half covered by grass which Rev. Cogan says marks the grave of the Ven. Archdeacon of Meath John Plunkett PP of Kells. Its measurements are 3ft.6ins by 7ft. and it stood on 6 pedestal stones, but is now level with the ground and grass was growing over most of it. It contains no inscription. Coffins used to rest on it and a De Profundis recited.
7) PLUNKET of Balemacad 1707 – A recumbent slab which formerly stood on 6 pedestal stones and still is standing on them but it is now covered with grass and the pedestal stones can’t be seen. It measures 9ft. by 3 ft. At middle top is a cross IHS and 3 nails. “THIS MONUMENT WAS ERECTED BY THOMAS PLUNKET SON OF RICHARD PLUNKET OF THE FAMILY OF BALEMACAD FOR INTERING HIMSELF AND HIS WIFE MARY PLUNKET DAUGHTER OF JAMES PLUNKET OF THE FAMILY OF KILEEN, SHE DEPARTED THIS LIFE THE 25TH DAY OF APRILL ANNO DOMII 1707.
Graves on east side of church in rows or groups from right to left
8) LYNCH 1901 …. 71 – Modern limestone Celtic cross and curb. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF PHILIP LYNCH DIED 3RD APRIL 1901. HIS WIFE ROSE DIED 23RD APRIL 1913. THEIR SON WILLIAM DIED 25TH MAY 1955. ALSO THEIR DAUGHTER ANN LYNCH DIED 23RD NOV. 1961 AGED 79 YEARS. AND WILLIAM’S WIFE MARY DIED 31ST MAY 1971. THEIR SON LIAM DIED 29TH APRIL 1971 AGED 46 YEARS. R.I.P.”
9) CAREY 1903 …. 58 – Upright limestone with cross on top, clasped hands at centre and foliage on each side. “ERECTED BY MARY KATE BRIGID CAREY NEW YORK CITY IN MEMORY OF OUR BELOVED MOTHER JULIA CAREY WHO DIED 19TH JAN. 1903 AGED 47 YEARS. ALSO THEIR FATHER JAMES CAREY WHO DIED 2ND SEPT. 1922 AGED 78 YEARS, MARY KEARY DIED 25TH DEC. 1951, JOHN KEARY DIED 12TH APRIL 1955, PATRICK KEARY 25TH MAR. 1958, ANN O’CALLAGHAN DIED 1ST AUG. 1958”.
10) …. …. – No inscription or date. This seems to be the lower part of a headstone the upper part of which contained the inscription and is lost.
11) MC EVOY 1821…26 – Very thin old type of stone only 1 ½ ft wide by 2 ft high. Cross IHS and heart at top in the middle and on left side is a sun with a circle of rays and a face in its centre (the man in the sun motif). On the right side is a moon in its first quarter surrounded by rays which are much wider than the sun’s rays and therefore much fewer of them. Could the idea be that the moon gives out less light than the sun and is therefore represented as having fewer rays? Under this motif we get ‘GLORIA’ etc. and then comes the following inscription – “ERECTED BY DANIEL McEVOY IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER JAs McEVOY WHO DEPd THIS LIFE JULY 10TH 1821 AGED 57 YEARS, ALSO HIS MOTHER JANE McEVOY DEPd THIS LIFE MARCH 25TH 1826 AGED 63 YEARS.”
12) LYNCH 1954 … 72 – A new white marble tombstone in a large curb. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF ELIZABETH LYNCH (BALLYBEG) DIED 14SEPT. 1972 ALSO HER HUSBAND HUGH LYNCH DIED 19 MARCH 1954 THEIR SON PHILIP DIED 23RD FEB 1960 AGE 21 YRS. R I P.
13) CRONIN 1966 – Plain marble stone with small cross on top. IN LOVING MEMORY OF JULIA CRONIN. DIED 9TH JUNE 1966 R I P.”
14) HENRY 1961 – Plain white marble stone with inscription on left and cross on right. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF ELIZABETH HENRY DIED OCT. 31ST 1961 R.I.P. ERECTED BY HER HUSBAND AND FAMILY”.
15) HENRY 1970 – Modern white marble stone with cross on top and curb around grave. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF JAMES HENRY DIED 27TH AUGUST 1970 AGED 69 R I P. ERECTED BY HIS WIFE BRIDGET.
16) HENRY 1957 – Modern headstone and cross on top with flaming heart in its centre. “IN MEMORY OF WILLIAM HENRY DURHAMSTOWN DIED 29JULY 1957 AND HIS WIFE MARY R I P.
17) MAGEE 1844 – Small thin stone about 2ft wide with a domed top. Usual sunburst around a cross and IHS in centre. “ERECTED BY MARGARET MAGEE IN MEMORY OF HER MOTHER &BROTHER THOS. MAGEE WHO DIED JUNE 4TH 1844 AGED 45 YEARS.”
18) WATERS 1737 – Old plain stone tilting very much forward so reading of inscription is very difficult. Full sunburst around cross IHS and heart, with ‘GLORIA’ etc around it. “THIS MONUMENT WAS ERECTED BY JOHN AND PATk WATERS IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER JAMs WATERS WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE ….. 12TH 1737 AGED 60 YEARS.”
19) MARKEY & CONNELL 1771 …. 1952 – Small narrow stone with curb. Full sunburst at top around cross and IHS. “HERE LIES THE BODY OF PHIL MARKEY WHO DEPTd THIS LIFE AD 1771 IN YE 56TH YEAR OF HIS AGE. ERECTED BY HIS SON MATTw OF NEWRATH AS A MEMORIAL FOR HIS POSTy LAWRENCE AND CATHERINE CONNELL, LAURENCE DIED 1908, MATT CONNELL DIED 1930, MARGARET DUNNE DIED 1937, ROSE CONNELL DIED 1944, JULIA REYNOLDS DIED 1946, MOLLIE DUNNE DIED 1952.” The letters AD are joined together as if only one letter.
20) LYNCH 1946 – Plain stone 2ft by 2ft with curb. “ERECTED IN MEMORY OF PATRICK LYNCH ‘MARTRY’ DIED 14TH SEPTEMBER 1946. HIS PARENTS PETER AND MARY LYNCH”
21) BRACKEN 1969 – White marble stone with a small cross on top, the whole standing on 3 steps and encircled by a curb “IHS. IN LOVING MEMORY OF JAMES BRACKEN MILLTOWN DIED 21ST JUNE 1969 R I P. ERECTED BY HIS WIFE AND FAMILY.”
22) GOVERN 1848 – Flaming heart in centre of a Celtic cross. “ERECTED BY BERNARD GOVERN IN MEMORY OF HIS PARENTS BROTHERS AND SISTERS AND THE ABOVE NAMED BERNARD DIED ON THE 12TH APRIL 1848.”
23) WATERS 1812 … 98 – Oldfashioned stone with a full sunburst around a cross IHS and heart pierced by 2 barbs. On each side a cherub’s head. A raised ridge around the following inscription. “ERECTED IN MEMORY OF JAMES WATERS WHO DEPd THIS LIFE 19TH MARCH 1812 AGED 75 YEARS. ALIAS BRIDGET WATERS HIS WIFE WHO DEPd THIS LIFE 17TH MAY 1816 AGED 46 YEARS. ALSO JUDITH WATERS THEIR DAUGHTER WHO DEPd THIS LIFE MARCH 10TH 1817 AGED 25 YEARS. MARY WATERS WHO DEPd THIS LIFE MAY 16TH ANNO 1898 …. YEARS.”
24) CAFFREY 1914 … 72 – Small modern stone with Celtic cross on top. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF OWEN CAFFREY GARDENRATH KELLS DIED 31ST JULY 1936, AND HIS WIFE ELIZABETH DIED 9TH OCT. 1938, ALSO HIS SON TERENCE DIED AUG. 1914, ALSO ELIZABETH CAFFREY DIED 31ST DEC. 1972.”
25) CAFFREY 1826 … 39 – Very old-looking plain stone tilting backwards and to the left with cross and IHS in centre. “ERECTED BY RICHd CAFFREY OF COOKSTOWN IN MEMORY OF HIS BELOVED PARENTS THOs CAFFREY WHO DEPd THIS LIFE AUGUST 26TH 1826 AGED 55 YEARS. ALSO ANNE CAFFREY ALIAS MULVANNY WHO DIED DEC. 19TH 1839 AGED 55 YEARS.”
26) MURTAGH 1937 – Small modern stone with simple cross on top. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MARY MURTAGH JAMESTOWN BOHERMEENWHO DIED 3 JUNE1937 R I P. ERECTED BY HER SISTER.”
27) COMASKEY 1813 – Less than a foot behind No.24 so almost impossible to see or read. Large old stone with sunburst cross IHS and heart with 2 barbs. A cherub’s head and wings on each side. This stone is wider than usual and has a ridge around the inscription. “ERECTED ….. IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER JOHN COMASKEY WHO DEPd THIS LIFE NOVEMBER 4TH 18… ALSO HIS MOTHER ANN COMASKEY ALIAS LYNCH(?) WHO DEPd THIS LIFE MARCH 7TH 1813 AGED 53 YEARS. ALSO HIS SON … COMASKEY WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE 1810 AGED 23 YEARS. AND ALSO JOHN CUMASKEY WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE 6TH JULY 1815 AGED 55 YEARS.”
28) FARNAN 1806 … 10 – Old stone notched at top with sunburst cross and IHS. “ERECTd BY MATHEW FARNAN OF KEERAN IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER WHO DIED NOVr Ye 19TH 1806 AGED 78 YEARS. ALSO HIS MOTHER WHO DIED JUNE Ye 11TH 1810 AGED 82 YEARS. FOR HIM AND HIS POSTERITY.”
29) HAND 1963 – Modern stone with curb and cross on top with IHS in its centre. Shamrock leaves over inscription. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF ANNE, PETER, MARGARET AND ANNIE HAND ALSO BERNARD HAND AND JOHN JOHNSON ALSO ALICE JOHNSON DIED 31ST MAY 1963 AND MARY FRICKER DIED 9TH NOV. 1960. JOHN HAND DIED 3RD JULY1964. ALSO HIS WIFE ELIZABETH HAND DIED 24TH JAN. 1966 R I P.
30) RAND 1742 – Small plain stone 15 ins by 24 ins. found almost completely underneath grass. A crude IHS at middle top. “EREd FOR THE SOUL OF THOMAS RAND PATRICK READY WHO DYETH AG 15 1742.”
31) CALLAGHAN 1959 – A little iron cross. “ALIECE CALLAGHAN BOHERMEEN WHO DIED 29TH JANUARY 1959. MAY HER SOUL REST IN PEACE.”
32) WILLIAMS 1870 … 1910 – Rounded at top with cross in this dome. “ERECTED BY PAATRICK WILLIAMS OF HERBERTSTOWN IN MEMORY OF HIS BROTHERS JOHN THOMAS AND RICHARD, ALSO HIS MOTHER ALICE WHO DIED JAN. 13TH 1870 AGED 79. HIS FATHER THOMAS WILLIAMS DIED JAN. 17TH 1872 AGED 82 YEARS. HIS SISTER ALICE DIED NOV.19TH 1903 AGED 75 YEARS. THE ABOVE PATRICK DIED 15TH APRIL 1910 AGED 83 YEARS”.
33) FINNEGAN 1899 … 1958 – A large stone with a Celtic cross at top with a ram on a cross in its centre, 3 cherub’s heads one on west north and east limbs of the cross and IHS on the south limb. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF JAMES FINNEGAN WHO DIED 27TH NOV. 1899 AND HIS DAUGHTER ROSE WHO DIED 25TH DEC. 1907 ALSO MARY FINNEGAN WHO DIED MARCH 9TH 1921, ALSO THE WIFE OF THE ABOVE JAMES FINNEGAN WHO DIED ON 6TH JANUARY 1928 AND KATE KEARY DIED 1ST MAY 1958. ERECTED BY THE ABOVE ROSE FINNEGAN R I P.”
Graves on the south side of ruined church
34) HAND 1747 … 68 – Small old stone only 15 ins wide by 24 ins high with full sunburst around a cross and IHS. “HERE LYETH Ye BODY OF BRYAN HAND WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE JANry Ye 1ST 1747 AGED 50 YEARS, ALSO HIS SON CONNER HAND DECd DECEMBER Ye 18. 1768 AGED 40 YEARS. THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY HIS SON FOR HIS POSTERITY.”
35) DUFFY 1715 – The top of this stone has been broken off and we failed to find it, so only the end of the inscription could be read. “6TH 1715 AGED 5 YEARS. THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY MICHAEL THO. DUFFY FOR HIS POSTERITY.”
36) MC…… 1752 LE …17.. – A very small old stone with a crude cross and IHS in a sunburst. “PRAY FOR … WILLIAM MC … WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE AUGUST Ye 1ST 1752 AGED …. YEARS AND FOR HIS … MARGARET LE…. WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE AUGUST 10TH 17… AGED 84 YEARS ….. FOR THEIR SON D…. McNAMEE WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE Ye 6TH … 175…
37) MARTIN 1835 … 60 – Old stone with sunburst around a cross IHS and heart with 2 barbs, a cherub’s head and outstretched wings on each side. A rolled band around the following inscription: “ERECTED BY JAMES MARTIN OF MOYMETT IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER PATk MARTIN WHO DEPARTd THIS LIFE APRIIL 27TH 1836 AGED 61 YEARS. ALSO HIS MOTHER MARY MARTIN WHO DEPARTED 2ND MARCH 1835 AGED 65 YEARS. ALSO …..”
38) …… 1747 … 6 …. – Plain old thick stone, only a few words on it can be read: “HERE LYETH THE BODY…. DIED JULY Ye … 1747 AGED … ALSO MAY Ye 1 1760 AGED 26. THIS STONE IS ERECTED BY HIS SON.”
39) MONAGHAN 1918 … 30 – A tall old stone with a ringed cross on top and a Maltese cross in its centre. Below a flaming heart and a Maltese cross on each side. “ERECTED BY PATRICK MONAGHAN OF MARTRY IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER AND MOTHER AND BROTHERS. NICHOLAUS MONAGHAN DIED 18TH MARCH 1918. PATRICK MONAGHAN DIED 10TH JULY 1930.”
40) MONAGHAN 1826 … 35 – A broken heavy stone with cross and IHS. “ERECTED BY PETER AND NICHOLAS MONAGHAN IN MEMORY OF THEIR FATHER NICHOLAS MONAGHAN WHO DEPd THIS LIFE 12TH DECr 1826 AGED 85 YEARS. ALSO THEIR MOTHER ALIAS LYNCH WHO DEPd 20TH FEBy 1835 AGED 84 YEARS.”
41) FAY 1765 … 82 – A large stone with sunburst and cross IHS and flaming heart and ‘GLORIA IN EXCELSIS DEO’ underneath. A high ridge around the following inscription “HERE LIETH THE BODY OF LUKE FAY WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE JUNE 20TH 1765 AGED 72 YEARS. ALSO THE BODY OF JUDETH FAY ALIAS SMITH WHO DEPARTEDTHIS LIFE MARCH 25TH 1779 AGED 70 YEARS. ALSO THE BODY OF MARY FAY ALIAS LIGHTHOLDER WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE APRIL 10TH 1782 AGED 28 YEARS. HERE ALSO LIES THE BODY OF THE ABOVE LUKE’S SONS JAMES PATRICK AND FRANCIS FAY OF ARDBRACCAN.”
42) SHERIDAN 1784 – Small undressed type of stone with a crude cross and IHS, only 1 ½ ft by 1 ½ ft. “HERE LYETH THE BODY OF CONOR SHERIDAN OF CLONGILL ERECTED BY HIS SON CHRISTOPHER SHERIDAN WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE ON THE 14TH DAY OF OCTr 1784 AGED 54 YEARS.”
43) CAFFREY 1917 … 63 – Modern stone with ringed cross at top and IHS in the centre. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF JOHN CAFFREY GRANGE GODDAN GLEBE KELLS DIED OCT. 29TH 1917 AND HIS WIFE MARY ANNE CAFFREY DIED MAY 18TH 1983 AGED 84 YEARS. ALSO HIS SISTER MARIA DIED FEB. 17TH 1923 AGED 83 YEARS R I P.”
44) CAFFREY1854 … 83 – Old thick stone going up to a peak with a ringed cross on top and a cross and HIS in the peak. “ERECTED BY BRYAN CAFFREY FILLPOTSMORE KELLS IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER PATRICK CAFFREY DIED MARCH 20TH AGED 70 YEARS. ALSO OF MY BROTHER BRIDGET CAFFREY DIED AUGUST 16TH 1854 AGED 50 YEARS. ALSO MY BROTHER PATRICK DIED MAY 22ND 1883 AGED 39 YEARS. ALSO MY BROTHER RICHARD DIED IN AMERICA FEBRUARY 26TH 1880 AGED 40 YEARS. R I P.” At the foot of this grave is a kneeling stone with “KNEEL AND PRAY.”
45) CAFFREY 1914 … 54 – modern plain stone. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF OUR PARENTS JAMES CAFFREY GARDENRATH DIED SEPT. 2ND 1941 AND HIS WIFE MARY DIED JAN. 23. 1914. THEIR DAUGHTER TERESA DIED MAY 3. 1954.”
46) IVERS 1720 & MIRTUAMY 1751 – Small low stone with a notched top. IHS at centre. “JAMES IVERS DIED AUGUST 27TH 1720 AGED 32 YEARS. ROSE MIRTUAMY (?) DIED MARCH Ye 1751 AGED 60 YEARS. ERECTED BY HIS SON JAMES IVERS.”
47) BRIEN 1950 … 55 – Modern marble stone with a solid cross above and a flaming heart in its centre. A curb around the grave “IN MEMORY OF MATTHEW BRIEN MARTRY DIED 18TH FEB. 1950. HIS WIFE CATHERINE DIED 2 NOV. 1955.”
48) MAHON ..NO DATE – “IN LOVING MEMORY OF BRIDGET PATRICK AND ELIZABETH McMAHON R I P.”
49) ……………….. – This is a recumbent slab of a very large and heavy type. It measures 8 ft long and 3 ft 6 ins wide and 6 ins thick. Only the eastern half of the stone can be seen as the western half is deeply buried in the ground. One would expect the inscription to be on the western side of the slab, so we don’t know if it has any inscription.
50) REILLY 1913 – A narrow upright stone with a solid ringed cross in grey limestone. “ERECTED BY MARY FAY CLONMELLON IN MEMORY OF HER UNCLE WILLIAM REILLY WHO DIED 2ND NOVEMBER 1913 AGED 85 YEARS.”
51) NAUVAUGH 1789 … 1808 – Domed top with sunburst surrounding a cross IHS and burning heart with foliage on each side. “ERECTED BY NICHOLAS NAUVAUGH IN MEMORY OF HIS WIFE ANNE MULLDOON WHO DEPd THIS LIFE JUNE 23RD 1789 AGED 34 YEARS. ALSO HIS SON JOHN NAUVAUGH DEPd MAY 23RD 1808 AGED 35 YEARS.”
52) ARCHBOLD 1780 – Large heavy stone tilting forward, rounded at the top. Full sunburst, cross IHS and heart inside it. “THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY Mr. BARTHOLEMY ARCHBOLD OF THE CITY OF DUBLIN BAKER IN MEMORY OF HIS DEARLY BELOVED WIFE BRIDGET ARCHBOLD WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE JULY 3RD 1780 AGED 36 YEARS. “REQUIESCAT IN PACE”.
53) SMYTH 1710 … 29 – An old stone notched at the top, a cherub’s head on each side, sunburst in centre with cross IHS and 3 nails. This stone tilts to the right and backwards. “THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY JNo SMYTH IN MEMORY OF HIS ANCESTORS. HERE LYETH THE BODY OF THE REVERd THOs SMYTH WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE MARCH Ye 16TH 1749 AGED 60 YEARS. (The 4 in 1749 is upside down). ALSO THE BODY OF WILLm SMYTH WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE JUNE Ye 16TH 1710 AGED 80 YRS. ALSO Ye BODY OF MARY SMYTH MOTHER OF THE ABOVE JNO WHO DECEASED May Ye 6 1729 AGED 61 YRS. ALL OF Ye DESCENDANTS OF FINESTOWN.”
54) CLARKE 1753 – Plain old stone rounded at top and tilting forward. Cross and IHS. “HERE LYETH THE BODY OF PATT CLARKE WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE THE 9TH DAY OF NOVr 1753 AGED 94 YEARS.”
55) FOX 1882 …1950 – This is a very large plot inside a curb and cement over the graves. A Celtic cross of some 7 ft in height erected on a 5 ft base and ornamented with scroll work and shamrocks. IHS in centre. Inscription on base. “PRAY FOR THE SOUL OF MATTHEW FOX (PANSYMOUNT GIRLEY KELLS) WHO DIED 22ND FEB. 1911. AND HIS WIFE CATHERINE FOX DIED 3RD JUNE 1915. AND THEIR CHILDREN MARY WHO DIED 12TH DEC. 1937, MATTHEW WHO DIED 12 DEC. 1939, MICHAEL WHO DIED 22ND MAY 1940, JAMES WHO DIED 14TH JULY 1940, CATHERINE 25TH DEC. 1945, ANNIE FOX DIED 8TH FEB. 1950
R I P.” On left side of base “PRAY FOR THE SOULS OF MATTHEW FOX MOATVIEW GIRLEY KELLS DIED APRIL 1888 ALSO HIS WIFE ANNE DIED MAY 1893. THEIR SON MATTHIAS DIED JULY 1882 HIS WIFE ELIZABETH DIED SEPT. 1935.”
56) MARTIN 1764 – Plain old stone notched at top with cross IHS and heart in a full sunburst, scrollwork and foliage on each side of top. “HERE LYETH THE BODY OF BRYAN MARTIN OF BELRATH WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE FEBry 15TH 1754 AGED 39 YEARS. ALSO HIS SON WIL MARTIN AGED 12 YEARS. THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY BRYAN AND MICHAEL MARTIN SONS OF THE ABOVE BRYAN.”
57) MEIGHAN 1869 … 1965 – A large stone tilting backwards, domed at top, ‘GLORIA’ etc. round top, cross IHS and 3 nails inside a large full sunburst. On each side is a floriated cross. “ERECTED BY MRS BRIDGET MEIGHAN IN MEMORY OF HER HUSBAND MR. PATRICK MEIGHAN WHO DIED ON THE 2ND FEBRUARY 1869 AGED 62 YEARS. ALSO MARY MEEHAN DIED 1894, WILLIAM DIED 1926, JOHNIE DIED 1919, JAMES DIED 1934, JOSEPH DIED … MARY SHERIDAN, DIED 1965 AGED 3 ½ YRS. REQUIESCANT IN PACE AMEN”. The name changes at the 1894 entry to Meehan. The last 4 ‘died’s’ are represented by 2 small strokes. Only Mary Meehan’s name occurs but no date of death.
58) CAHILL 1945 … 7 – Large Celtic cross on a base “IN LOVING MEMORY OF PATRICK CAHILL DIED 20TH MARCH 1945. ALSO HIS WIFE MARY CAHILL NEE HOEY 20TH JANUARY 1947. AND THE PARENTS BROTHERS AND SISTERS OF MARY CAHILL WHO ARE BURIED HERE.”
Graves on west side
59) …. …. A small stone tilting very much forward and impossible to read as there is an ant’s nest beside it. It has a cross and IHS in a full sunburst. “ERECTED IN …. The rest is under the grass.
60) MULVANY 1762 – Small plain stone tilting backwards, with cross and IHS in centre of top. “THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY OWEN MULVANY IN MEMORY OF HIS WIFE JUDY HERSEY WHO DIED FEBry Ye 27 1762 AGED 52 YRS. FOR WHOSE SOUL THE PRAYERS OF THE FAITHFUL ARE EXPECTED.”
61) MULVANNY 1798 … 1828 – Here the name is spelt with 2 n’s. this is an old plain stone tilting forward at a considerable angle. A chalice and cross are carved at either side and something has fallen out of the centre of the top possibly a lamb. “ERECTED BY MR. JAMES MULVANNY CARPENTER TIERMURRAIN KELLS IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF HIS BELOVED PARENTS BRIDGET MULVANNY ALIAS PLUNKETT WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE 10TH AUGUST 1798 AGED 64 YEARS AND PATk MULVANNY WHO DIED 10TH APRIL1809 AGED 85 YEARS. ALSO HIS DAUGHTER MARY WHO DIED 1st DECr 1820 AGED 21 YEARS. AND HIS SON JAMES WHO DIED 14TH SEPTEMBr 1828 AGED 26 YEARS.”
62) MC CANN 1772 … 84 – Large old stone domed at top with a full sunburst cross IHS and heart. At each side a cherub’s head with outstretched wings and a fancy
8-rayed design in centre. Stone is tilting forward. “THIS STONE WAS ERECTd BY JAMs AND JOHN McCANN IN MEMORY OF THEIR FATHER JAMs McCANN WHO DEPd Ye LIFE MARCH Ye 22ND 1785 AGED 70 YRS. ALSO THEIR MOTHER CATHe McCANN ALIAS BRADY SHE DEPd Ye LIFE FEBry1772 AGED 50 YEARS. ALSO HUGH SON OF THE ABOVE JAMs WHO DIED YOUNG.”
63) HART 1797 … 9 – A very thick stone tilting forward at a considerable angle. In centre of top is a half sunburst over a cross IHS and heart with a cherub’s head on each side. “ERECTd BY CATHERINE HART IN MEMORY OF HER HUSBAND THOMAS HART WHO DEPTd JUNE 27. 1797 AGED 60 YRS. ALSO HIS SON JAMs HART WHO DEPTd MARCH 24. 1799 AGED 34 YEARS.”
64) FLOOD 1780 – Large stone notched at top under a laurel tree. Sunburst cross IHS and 3 nails. “THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY THE ORDERS OF JEROME FLOOD IN PIOUS MEMORY OF HIMSELF HIS PARENTS TERENCE AND ALLISA ALIAS NUGENT AND THEIR OFFSPRINGS. Sd JEROME DEPARTED THIS LIFE 5TH FEBy A D 1780. REQUIESCANT IN PACE.” Sd presumably means ‘said’.
65) REILLY 1783 … 86 – Old stone tilting forward. A stopper stone on each side of the large upright slab. Cross and IHS. “THIS MONUMENT WAS ERECTED BY WALTER REILLY IN MEMORY OF HIS PARENTS. HERE LIETH Ye BODY OF BRIDGET REILLY ALIAS CAVANUEGH WHO DIED THE 7TH NOVEMBER 1783 AGED 67 YEARS. ALSO OWEN REILLY WHO DIED MARCH 17TH 1786 AGED 76 YEARS. AQLSO CATHERINE MAGEE ALIAS REILLY WHO DIED DEC. 1785 AGED 19 YEARS.
66) SMITH 1886 … 1958 – Small Celtic cross on top of a plain upright headstone. IHS in a triangle. “ERECTED BY THE CHILDREN IN LOVING MEMORY OF THEIR FATHER EDWARD SMITH WHO DIED 25TH MARCH 1886 AGED 56 YEARS. ALSO THEIR MOTHER BRIDGET SMITH WHO DIED 9TH OF MARCH AGED 65 YEARS. ALSO THEIR SON TERENCE DIED JAN. 11TH 1951. AND HIS WIFE MARY DIED SEPT. 23RD1958.”
67) CASSERLY 1957 … 8 – Small modern thin stone with Christ’s Head on top. It is marble. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MARY CASSERLY JAMESTOWN DIED 2ND NOV. 1957 AGED 69 YEARS. ALSO HER HUSBAND LAURENCE DIED 13TH AUG. 58.”
68) CASSERLY 1891 … 1918 – Small stone with Celtic cross on top. ERECTED BY THOMAS CASSERLY IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER WHO DIED MARCH 2ND 1891 AGED 64 YEARS. ALSO HIS MOTHER WHO DIED SEPT. 4. 1914 AGED 76 Y EARS. ALSO HER SON BERNARDWHO DIED MRH 28TH 1918 AGED 56 YEARS.”
69) FLOOD 1721 … 1935 – Under a considerable clump of laurel and elderberry trees many of which we have cut down, but unless the stumps are killed this beautiful slab will soon be cracked across in 2 places. It is a Tabletomb but has no pedestals just lying on a heap of stones presumably thrown in here whenever they turned up in various graves. The inscription is on the east side and faces west. A couple of modern burials (Smith and Lynch) have been recorded under the original inscription and I would suggest that when this massive slab was removed for that purpose it was replaced wrongly. The measurements are 7 ft long by 3 ½ ft wide and 9 ins. thick. At the top is a very fine crest and coat of arms of the flood family of Ballymacad. Crest: a wolf head erased with bristles on snout and tongue protruding. Then a helmet with closed visor on a wreath. Then the shield with 3 wolves heads arranged 2 and 1 around a chevron. Motto:Deus et Min Dextra (?) inscription: “THIS MONUMENT WAS ERECTED BY LUKE FLOOD AND JAMES FLOOD HIS SON FOR INTERRING THEM AND THEIR WIVES ANN PLUNKETT OF THE FAMILY OF BALLYMACAD AND ELEANOR FARRELLY. THIS LUKE FLOOD WAS SON TO TERENCE FLOOD FORMERLY OF CLAGGAN IN THE COUNTY OF CAVAN. Underneath … “M: DOCTOR AND ELIZABETH SMYTH HIS WIFE MAY THE 8TH 1721, ALSO TOM LYNCH VIRGINIA DIED 18TH NOV. 1935.” THEN COMES … A cross in centre with ‘IN’ on left of it and ‘RI’ on right and below ‘MOMENTO MORI’.” MacLysagh says “The macatilla’s are common in Galway and Cavan but rare elsewhere. The name means ‘many waters’ hence ‘A flood’. It is corruption of O’MAOLTUILE which is to be seen in 13th to 17th century Mss. An eye-witness of Cathal O’Connor’s Inauguration (the last King of Connacht) describes MacTully who was present as the Hereditary Physician to the O’Connors.”
70) GALLAGHER 1737 – Small plain stone much covered in briers and Elderberry trees which we cut down. Cross and IHS on top. “HERE LYETH THE BODY OF DENNIS GALLAGHER WHO DIED JANUARY 7. 1737.”
71) HIGGINS 1862 – Large stone going up to a peak in the middle. “ECCE AGNUS DEI” and below it a lamb on a cross; all inside a circle. “ERECTED BY REVd MICHAEL HIGGINS IN MEMORY OF HIS BELOVED FATHER MR. MICHAEL HIGGINS OF FRAYNE WHO DIED ON THE 20TH OF MARCH 1862 AGED 62 YEARS.”
72) HIGGINS 1889 – Broken in 4 pieces. It seems to have once been an imposing monument. Inscription on one piece. Small cross at top. “IN LOVING MEMOARY OF PHILIP ANDREW HIGGINS THE SIXTH SON OF JOHN HIGGINS OF CLONMELLON WHO DIED APRIL 4TH 1889 AGED 26 YEARS.”
73) HIGGINS 1827 – Small stone with domed top, full sunburst enclosing cross IHS and heart with a rose on each side. “ERECTED BY JOHN HIGGINS IN MEMORY OF HIS WIFE ELIZABETH ALIAS MURRAY WHO DEPd THIS LIFE JAN. 1ST 1827 AGED 52 YEARS.”
74) CARTY 1806 … 16 – This is the first of 3 large headstones inside an iron railing. This stone is a very heavy large thick one domed at the top, with a cross IHS and heart, and on each side a rose. “ERECTED BY LAURENCE CARTY IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER THO. CARTY OF JAMESTOWN WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE THE 12TH OF JANUARY 1806 AGED 72 YEARS. ALSO IN MEMORY OF HIS MOTHER MARY CARTY DEPARTED THIS LIFE THE 4TH MARCH 1816 AGED 60 YEARS.”
75) FARRELL 1923 … 4 – The second within the big iron curb. A plain stone with cross and IHS in centre. “ERECTED BY DAVID FARRELL AND FAMILY IN MEMORY OF A LOVING WIFE AND MOTHER MARGARET FARRELL AGED 55 WHO DIED ON THE 8TH NOV. 1923, MAY SHE REST IN PEACE. ALSO THE ABOVE DAVID FARRELL ON THE 28TH SEPT. 1924 AGED 71 YEARS.”
76) FARRELL 1854 … 1923 – Third big stone within the curb. A ringed cross on top with a lamb on a cross. “ERECTED BY JOHN AND DAVID FARRELL OF CORTOWN IN MEMORY OF THEIR BELOVED MOTHER MRS. ELIZABETH FARRELL WHO DIED APRIL 25TH 1854 AGED 45 YEARS AND THEIR FATHER JOSEPH FARRELL WHO DIED NOV. 23RD 1884 AGED 84 YEARS. ALSO THE ABOVE JOHN FARRELL WHO DIED JANy 4TH 1893 AGED 41 YEARS. ALSO THEIR SISTER ANNE FARRELL DIED 14TH APRIL 1923 AGED 38 YEARS. DAVID FARRELL AGED 4 YEARS.
77) SMITH 1958 – Small modern stone with blessed Virgin’s head at top. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF JOSEPH SMITH NEILSTOWN DIED 24TH DEC. 1958 AGED 68 YEARS” and at bottom “QUEEN OF THE HOLY ROSARY PRAY FOR HIM. R I P. ERECTED BY HIS WIFE BRIDGET.”
78) CAIREY ? 1757 – Old stone with top broken off so only the lower part of the inscription can be seen and read. “….. 1757 AGED 17 YEARS. THIS STONE WAS ERECTEDBY HIS FATHER THOMAS CAIREY.”
79) DONNELLY 1873 … 1913 – Cross on top of a small stone with a Maltese cross in its centre, IHS in a circle over inscription. “ERECTED BY JOSEPH DONNELLY IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER THOMAS DONNELLY DIED NOV. 19TH 1873 AGED 45 YEARS. ALSO HIS MOTHER MARY DONNELLY DIED 8TH DEC. 1913 AGED 84 YEARS. ALSO HIS WIFE MARIA DONNELLY DIED 19TH OCT. 1894 AGED 24 YEARS.”
80) BRADY 1784 – Very plain old stone with domed top, full sunburst surrounding a cross and IHS. “THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY JAMES BRADY IN MEMORY OF HIS SISTER JUDITH BRADY WHO DEPd THIS LIFE JANry 6TH 1784 AGED 40 Y EARS. ALSO THE ABOVE JAMES DIED AUGUST 14TH 1784 AGED 47 YEARS.”
81) CLARKEN1843 – This stone is under an ash tree and it has a domed top with ‘GLORIA IN EXCELSIS DEO’ around a full sunburst with a cross IHS and heart inside. “THIS MONUMENT WAS ERECTED BY ROSE AND CHRISTOPHER CLARKEN IN MEMORY OF HER BELOVED HUSBAND MATTHEW CLARKEN OF JAMESTOWN WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE 16TH OCTOBER 1843 AGED 94 YEARS. ALSO HER BELOVED SON NICHOLAS CLARKEN WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE 15TH OF APRIL AGED 30 YEARS.”
Row 15 … A group
82) O’BRIEN 1927 – Ringed cross with IHS in its centre, a heart above the inscription. “ERECTED BY NELLIE WARD IN MEMORY OF HER AUNT ELIZABETH O’BRIEN WHO DIED 19TH SEPT.1927 AGED 65 YEARS R I P.”
83) HARTE …. – A small modern stone inside a curb with a small cross on each side of top. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF THE HARTE FAMILY SPRINGVILLE R I P.”
84) WARD 1902 … 10 – Plain stone with peaked top and cross with 2 steps. In the peak “ERECTED BY PETER WARD IN LOVING MEMORY OF HIS FATHER JOHN DIED 9TH SEP. 1910 AGED 78 YEARS. HIS BROTHER THOMAS DIED 11TH JUNE 1902 AGED 30 YEARS. HIS BROTHER JOHN DIED 4TH MAR. 1904 AGED 22 YEARS.”
85) HARFORD 1927 … 73 – In curb. Modern stone with Blessed Virgin. “ERECTED IN LOVING MEMORY OF PATRICK HARFORD MARTRY DIED OCT. 1927 AGED 59 YRS. HIS WIFE MARY ANN DIED NOV. 1945 AGED 72 YEARS. THEIR SON CHRISTOPHER DIED JULY 1973 AGED 75 YRS.” At bottom R I P. & P. Bennett Kells.
ROW 16 … A group
86) NULTY 1947 … 62 – Modern grey stone peaked at top. Blessed Virgin’s head. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF KATE NULTY DIED 20TH APRIL 1947 AGED 84 ALSO MARGARET NULTY DIED 8TH MAY 1962 AGED 62. R I P.”
87) SMITH 1912 – Small stone with a solid cross at top, sunburst and IHS in its centre. “ERECTED BY BERNARD FINEGAN ALLENSTOWN IN MEMORY OF HIS FAITHFUL SERVANT ROSE SMITH WHO DIED 17TH MAY 1912 AGED 55 YEARS R I P.
88) FLANAGAN 1929 … 32 – Narrow modern stone with cross at top and flaming heart under it. “ERECTED IN LOVING MEMORY OF MATTHEW FLANAGAN (BALRATHBOYNE) WHO DIED 3RD JUNE 1939 AGED 53 Y EARS. ALSO TERESA DIED 11TH JAN. 1929 AGED 8 ½ YEARS. AND MICHAEL DIED 11TH JUNE 1932 AGED 72 YEARS R I P.”
89) MAGUIRE 1944 – Low wide modern grey stone with cross at each side of top and a cherub in centre. “IN MEMORY OF EDWARD MAGUIRE OF GREETIAGH DIED 20TH SEPT. 1944 HIS CHILDREN ALICE AND NANCY R I P.”
90) BATTERSBY 1925 – Big ringed cross. “OF YOUR CHARITY PRAY FOR THE SOULS OF JAMES BATTERSBY DIED MARCH 22ND 1925 AGED 67 YEARS AND OF HIS BROTHERROBERT DIED AUGUST 24TH 1925.”
91) TAAFFE 1907 … 69 – Very tall narrow stone with cross on top. “PRAY FOR NICHOLAS AND MARY TAAFFE NICHOLAS TAAFFE DIED JANUARY 18TH 1907. PETER TAAFFE DIED JANUARY 17TH 1913, MARGARET TAAFFE DIED JUNE 10TH 1931, GEORGE TAAFFE DIED 17TH DEC. 1943, ELIZABETH TAAFFE DIED 2ND MAY 1961, ALECOQUE JANE TAAFFE DIED 10TH FEBRUARY 1969 AGED 65 YEARS. ALSO HER HUSBAND PETER TAAFFE DIED 10TH JUNE 1960.”
92) TAAFFE 1903 … 57 – Ringed cross at top with leaves on arms of cross, flaming heart below. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF OUR DEAR FATHER JAMES TAAFFE WHO DIED 26TH APRIL 1903, ALSO OUR BROTHER JAMES WHO DIED THE 26TH MARCH 1923, ALSO OUR DEAR MOTHER KATE TAAFFE WHO DIED 14TH MAY 1923, PATRICK TAAFFE DIED 12TH NOVEMBER 1927, KATE J. TAAFFE DIED 14TH OCTOBER 1933, PETER M. TAAFFE DIED 9TH MARCH 1950, MARY A. TAAFFE DIED IST DECEMBER 1957.” At bottom “R I P.” ERECTED BY MARIAN AND KATIE J. TAAFFE.”
93) ……. – All inscription has flaked off except near the base where we read “REQUIESCANT IN PACE AND GARRETT FERRALL STONE EUER.” We presume ‘STONE HEWER” was meant.
94) CR0SBY 1826 … 1905 – Cross on top with IHS in centre. “ERECTED BY MICHAEL CROSBY OF CORTOWN IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER MICHAEL WHO DIED 1826. ALSO HIS MOTHER MARY DIED 1869. ALSO HIS BROTHER WILLIAM CROSBY WHO DIED THE 16TH MAR. 1905.”
Row 17 … A group.
95) GAUGHRAN 1961 – white wooden cross. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MRS. MARY GAUGHAN CHARLESFORT KELLS WHO DIED 3RD JUNE 1961 R I P.”
96) GILSENAN 1956 – Inside a cement curb, a small domed stone with a cross carved on the top of the stone. “ERECTED IN LOVING MEMORY OF CHRISTOPHER GILSENAN BALRATHBOYNE DIED 8TH NOV. 1956. R I P.”
97) COYLE 1890 – Large stone with ringed cross on top, lamb on a cross below. “ERECTED BY CATHERINE COYLE CORTOWN IN MEMORY OF HER BELOVED SISTER ANNE COYLE WHO DIED IN KELLS 23RD DEC. 1890.”
98) GIBBONS 1943 … 62 – Small cross and inscription on its base. “ERECTED BY PAT GIBBONS IN MEMORY OF HIS WIFE MARY DIED 18TH NOV. 1956 ALSO HIS BROTHER JACK (CORTOWN) DIED 3RD FEB. 1943. THE ABOVE PAT DIED 23RD JUNE 1962 R I P.”
99) GIBBONS 1933 … 40 – Large ringed cross with heart in centre. ‘JESUS HAVE MERCY’ on a scroll. Then “ERECTED IN LOVING MEMORY OF THOMAS GIBBONS WHO DIED 18TH DEC. 1933 AGED 90 YEARS. ALSO HIS WIFE JANE GIBBONS WHO DIED 14TH MARCH 1940.”
100) POLEON & PHILLIPS 1957 … 65 – Inside curb. White marble. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF KATIE POLEON MILLTOWN CORTOWN KELLS DIED 29 MARCH 1965 AGED 78 YEARS. ALSO HER DAUGHTER JULIA PHILLIPS DIED 16TH AUG.1957 AGED 45 YEARS. R I P. At bottom “S Gibney Mullingar.
101) REILLY 1890 … 1927 – Small ringed cross on top and IHS above inscription. “ERECTED BY JOHN REILLY OF ALLENSTOWN IN MEMORY OF HIS DAUGHTER ELLEN WHO DIED DECm 31. 1890 AGED 17 YEARS. THE ABOVE JOHN REILLY DIED 27TH MARCH 1899. HIS WIFE MARGARET DIED 15TH JUNE 1917. DIED E. O’REILLY NOV. 17TH 1927 R I P.”
102) BISHOP 1912 … 29 – Large stone with ringed cross on top, heart in its centre. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF CELIA BISHOP WHO DIED 17TH JUNE 1912 AGED 16 YEARS. ALSO GEORGE BISHOP DIED 1ST MARCH 1925 AGED 37 YEARS. ALSO JOHN BISHOP DIED 28TH JULY 1929 R I P.”
103) CLARKE 1850 … 70 – A domed top, ‘GLORIA ETC’ around top, a raised full sunburst with cross and IHS, 2 large roses (1 on each side). Around the dome are 9 small little circles with a different design e.g. a sun, moon, flower etc. “ERECTED BY TERENCE CLARKE OF JAMESTOWN IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER J. CLARKE WHO DIED THE 14TH DAY OF MARCH 1855 AGED 76 YEARS. AND HIS MOTHER ELIXABETH (x instead of z) DIED 30TH OF OCTOBER 1850 AGED 64 YEARS. ALSO HIS SISTER BRIDGET DIED APRIL 26TH 1861 AGED 45 YEARS, ALSO THE SAID TERENCE CLARKE DIED JULY 12TH 1870 ..6 YEARS.” (We were unable to read the numeral before the 6).
104) CLARKE 1920 … 63 – Modern stone. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF OUR MOTHER MARY CLARKE (JAMESTOWN NAVAN) DIED 1ST OCT. 1920. HER HUSBAND MICHAEL DIED 3RD JUNE 1931. HIS BROTHER LAURENCE DIED 29TH SEPT. 1920. THEIR SON THOMAS DIED 22ND JUNE 1958. ALSO HIS WIFE JULIA CLARKE DIED 5TH OCT. 1963 R I P. ERECTED BY THEIR FAMILY … CLARKE.”
105) REILLY 1904 … 58 – Modern grey headstone. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF HUGH REILLY MOYAUGHER DIE 21ST JUNE 1930. MARY REILLY DIED 19TH AUG. 1904, KATE REILLY DIED 23RD JUNE 1958 R I P. ERECTED BY THE REILLY FAMILY.”
106) COYLE & DUNNE 1920 … 74 – A cross mounted on a slab of modern type. IHS in centre of the cross. “ERECTED IN LOVING MEMORY OF JOHN COYLE DIED 20TH OCT. 1920. ALSO HIS WIFE MARY DIED 16TH NOV. 1946. ALSO THEIR DAUGHTER MARY DIED 29TH APRIL 1966 AGED 73 YRS. AND MRS. ANNIE DUNNE DIED 14TH JUNE 1968 AGED 77 YRS. BRIDGET COYLE DIED 22ND FEB. 1974 R I P. At bottom we get “R I P ERECTED ……
107) BOYLAN 1914 – Very small stone with a simple cross on top and IHS in its centre. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MARGARET BOYLAN (DURHAMSTOWN) DIED 4TH NOV. 1914 AGED 31 YRS.” At bottom we get R I P ERECTED by HER HUSBAND BERNARD.”
On north side
108) SMITH 1911 … 69 – Plain upright headstone with top going up to a peak in middle with a cross in the centre. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MRS. ROSE SMITH DIED 17TH NOV. 1953. ALSO ELLEN SMITH DIED 9TH JAN.1955. HER MOTHER DIED 1ST JAN. 1911 AGED 72 YEARS. OWEN SMITH DIED 12TH MAY 1913 AGED 50 YEARS. NELLIE SMITH DIED 1ST JULY 1922 AGED 28 YEARS. PHILIP SMITH DIED 31ST MAY 1924 AGED 87 YEARS. PHILIP SMITH DIED 25TH JAN. 1965 AGED 89 YEARS. BERNARD SMITH DIED 8TH APRIL 1969 AGED 88 YEARS. R I P ERECTED BY B. SMITH.”
109) CLARKE 1873 … 85 – Plain cross. “PRAY FOR THE SOUL OF JOHN CLARKE DIED MARCH 18TH 1873. MRS. SMITH DIED APRIL 5TH 1885 R I P.
110) TEELING 1908 … 45 – A cross with a flaming heart and crown of thorns around its centre. “MRS MARY TEELING DIED ON 10TH SEPT. 1908 AGED 82 YEARS. JAMES TEELING DIED 10TH SEPT.1913 AGED 30 YEARS. PETER TEELING DIED 27TH MAY 1930 AGED 70 YEARS. MRS MARGARET TEELING DIED MAY 1945 AGED 70 YEARS.”
111) COOGAN 1958 – Small white marble cross with IHS in centre of cross. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF KITTY COOGAN DIED MAY 1958. R I P. ERECTED BY DAUGHTER MARIE.”
112) DUFFY 1931 … 57 – Small limestone cross on 3 steps. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF PETER DUFFY DIED 17TH DEC. 1947. HIS SON LAWRENCE DIED 12TH JULY 1931 AGED 26 YEARS. ALSO HIS SON MICHAEL DIED 2ND NOV. 1937 AGED 23 YEARS AND HIS WIFE ANNIE DIED 11TH MAY 1957 R.I.P.”
113) O’BRIEN 1953 – Modern grey cross. “MY JESUS MERCY. IN LOVING MEMORY OR THOMAS O’BRIEN CORTOWN DIED 5TH DEC 1953 AGE 48 YRS. R.I.P. ERECTED BY HIS WIFE MARGARET.”
114) CONNELL 1939 … 61 – White marble cross with flaming heart. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF OWEN CONNELL NUGENTSTOWN DIED 11TH JUNE 1961 AGE 79 YRS. HIS WIFE MARY DIED 30TH NOV 1959 AGE 80 YRS. THEIR DAUGHTER MOLLY DIED 4TH MARCH 1939 AGED 22 YRS. R I P.”
115) MC DERMOTT AND MASTERSON 1896 … 1952 – Inside a curb and iron railing is this large ringed cross. Several flower carvings and a lamb on a cross at bottom. The head of Our Lord is in the centre of the cross. “OH HOLY CROSS UNDER THY SHADOW LET US REST. SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF MATHEW McDERMOTT OF CORTOWN WHO DIED 15TH APRIL 1896 AGED 19 YEARS. LORD HAVE MERCY ON HIS SOUL. PRAY FOR HIS SON BERNARD WHO DIED 4TH SEPT. 1898 AGED 34. ALSO HIS WIFE MARY WHO DIED 24TH JAN 1904 AGED 67 YEARS. PRAY FOR THE SOUL OF JOHN D. MASTERSON ELDEST SON OF JOHN AND MGT MASTERSON WHO DIED 21ST APRIL 1923 AGED 35 YEARS. R I P.” At bottom ‘T. H. DENNANY GLASNEVIN.’ On left side of base “PRAY FOR THE SOUL OF JOHN MASTERSON WHO DIED 22ND OCT. 1909 AGED 64 YEARS. MAY HE REST IN PEACE. ALSO HIS DAUGHTER EVA WHO DIED 28TH JAN. 1924 AGED 40 YEARS R I P. ERECTED BY JOHN MASTERSON.” On right side of base … “ALSO ALFRED MASTERSON THIRD SON WHO DIED ON THE 21ST APRIL 1941 AGED 50 YEARS. PRAY FOR THE SOUL OF MRS MASTERSON WHO DIED 14TH FEB. 1952 AGED 85 YEARS”
On each side of this massive plot is the bowl of an old font, one much broken, and said to belong to the old church.
116) SMITH 1971 – Plain stone “ERECTED IN MEMORY OF WILIAM SMITH WHO DIED THE 20TH …. 1937 AGE ….. ALSO HIS WIFE MARY DIED 3RD DEC. 1971 AGED 94 YRS.”
117) BRADY 1963 – An iron cross. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MRS JULIA BRADY DIED 15TH MARCH 1963 R I P.”
118) BRADY 1948 – A cross. “PRAY FOR JOHN BRADY DIED JUNE 1948.
R I P.”
119) BRADY 1934 – A stone with a cross on top and flaming heart in its centre. “ERECTED BY MICHAEL BRADY IN MEMORY OF HIS WIFE MARY WHO DIED 24TH JUNE 1934.”
120) DUFFY 1941 … 66 – Cross with flaming heart in centre. “ERECTED IN LOVING MEMORY OF MARY ANNE DUFFY DIED OCTOBER 28. 1941. JAMES DUFFY DIED 29TH JAN 1966 R I P.”