KILDALKEY OLD GRAVEYARD CO. MEATH
HEADSTONES AND INSCRIPTIONS
Recorded by Dr. Beryl F E Moore 1977
Kildalkey old graveyard is situated on a fort (or motte) and has a well marked fosse encircling it. On its western portion we get an angular bit of a tower house all that now remains of this military structure; and on to its eastern side a church was built when the tower house was no longer needed for military purposes. Cogan in his history says the tower house was used as the belfry when the church was built; this was the usual practise. Cogan also gives us the measurements of the church…44 ½ ft. long by 21ft. wide. It should be remembered that these are the measurements of the nave as the chancel had been already removed before Cogan’s day, except for a small piece of the north wall. According to the dates on headstones interments have taken place inside the church for over 400 years. The original Celtic church in Kildalkey is said to have been dedicated to St. Dympna whose patron day is 15th May.
The ‘Curious Vault’ built in quite modern times on to the south-east sides of the tower is I believe a watch-house constructed to overcome the threat of the body-snatchers. Many graveyards within 40 or 50 miles of Dublin where the medical schools were situated constructed these watch-houses where a man (generally an old soldier with a gun) sat up for several weeks at night after a funeral.
The gate into the graveyard is in the middle of the east wall and an avenue ran straight down from it to the road through the centre of the field. Nowadays the gate & avenue are next the south fence. St. Dympna’s holy well was near the church but has been dried up for many years. The new graveyard is south of the old one and all its headstones are dated 1955 or later, so I have not included them.
In the old graveyard there are four (possibly five) very interesting head-stones……
(1) The O’CONNOR tabletomb visited, recorded & published by the society of the preservation of the memorials of the dead in volume x1. (2) The MURPHY tabletomb. (3) The broken pieces of a tabletomb the surname being unreadable and (4) another tabletomb with no inscription we could see. There is the quarter of what I think was likely an altar tomb finely carved with part of the inscription but not the name. It is the oldest tomb in the graveyard dated 1574. I hope the other three-quarters of this great headstone will be found some day.
I had the great pleasure of visiting this graveyard over 40 years ago accompanied by a great expert: the founder and first president of our Meath Archaeological and Historical Society; the late Revd. Robert Callary, and am glad to say I still remember the words of wisdom that fell from his lips on the occasion.
Headstones on east side of graveyard in rows from north to south
1) McNAMEE…Grey limestone with peaked top & IHS. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MRS MARY McNAMEE FRAYNE ATHBOY DIED APRIL 1927 AND HER HUSBAND THOMAS DIED SEPT. 1943. ALSO THEIR SON MICHAEL AND DAUGHTER ANNE”.
2) ROGERS ….Ringed cross with flaming heart in centre & ornamented with the Irish rope design. Curb around grave. “IHS JESUS HAVE MERCY ON THE SOUL OF MY DEAR HUSBAND WILLIAM ROGERS WHO DIED 14TH MAY 1939. BORN IN PORTSMOUTH 6TH NOVEMBER 1883. ALSO MY PARENTS JOHN AND ROSE BACKER. ERECTED BY JANE ROGERS KILDALKEY”.
3) DUNNE….A simple cross. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF JAMES DUNNE DIED 27TH OCTOBER 1931. ALSO HIS WIFE MARY DIED 20 APRIL 1964 R.I.P.”
4) McKENNA….This grave has a curb. Christ’s head in centre of a cross on the right side and a slab with inscription on left side. Ivy leaves under cross. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF JOHN McKENNA CLONYLOGAN KILDALKEY DIED 24TH SEPT. 1941. HIS WIFE BRIDET DIED 31ST DEC. 1955. THEIR SON THOMAS DIED 21ST 1933”. At bottom R.I.P. and ‘ERECTED BY THEIR LOVING FAMILY’ and ‘McKENNA’.
5) MAGUIRE….Inside a curb. A ringed cross with IHS & a small cross in its centre. Inscription on a separate slab. “IN MEMORY OF JAMES MAGUIRE, ANNE MAGUIRE, MICHAEL MAGUIRE R.I.P”.
6) BRIEN….Ringed cross with flaming heart in centre. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MICHAEL BRIEN CARNISLE KILDALKEY DIED 18TH OCT. 1956”. AND BRIDGET BRIEN DIED 11TH FEB. 1958 R.I.P”.
7) McGAWLY….Domed top, cross IHS & heart with plant growing out of it. A tudor rose on each side & other leafy ornament. “ERECTED BY ANN McGAWLY IN MEMORY OF HER HUSBAND JOHN McGAWLY WHO DEPd THIS LIFE…….1894 AGED 45 YEARS”.
8) LYNCH…. Curb around this grave. A black marble headstone with Our Lady on the left and the inscription on the right. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF PHILIP LYNCH BALLYBRITTAS DIED 27TH JULY 1937 AGED 30 YEARS. HIS WIFE ELLEN DIED 29TH SEPT. 1972 AGED 69 YRS. ALSO HIS PARENTS”. At bottom R.I.P. And ‘ERECTED by PHIL ALICE & ALICE & TOMMY’ & on base F. Rennicks Flower Hill Navan.
9)………………………. This stone is broken off some other larger piece of stone and is now being used as a grave marker. One side is chamfered. The stone is about 2 ins thick, 29 ins long and 22 ½ ins wide. The inscription is along the outside edge and the part of inscription on this bit of stone is as far as we can make out “E IN BURIED WHO DIED; THE XV111…………….DAY OF; JANUARY 1.5.74”. Therefore it is the oldest Kildalkey headstone. As for the carving—there appears to have been a cross in the centre of the stone and possibly a crown of thorns hanging around it. The rest of the stone is covered with circles and anchor-like ornaments. I think this may have been an altar tomb.
10) LARKIN…Peaked stone with the Lamb of God on a cross & ‘ECCE AGNUS DEI’ at the top. “ERECTED BY MICHAEL LARKIN OF KILDALKEY IN MEMORY OF HIS BELOVED WIFE CATHERINE LARKIN WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE 24TH FEBRUARY 1857 AGED 69 YEARS. HERE ALSO REPOSE THE REMAINS OF THEIR SON JOHN LARKIN WHO DIED JUNE 27TH 1862 AGED 45 YEARS. LOVED IN LIFE AND LAMENTED IN DEATH. ALSO HIS INFANT SON PATk AGED 5 MONTHS”.
11) FAGAN….Peaked stone with cross on a mount. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF KATHLEEN FAGAN KILDALKEY DIED 14TH MAY 1949 AGED 34 YEARS”. R I P & P. BENNETT NEILSTOWN at bottom.
12) NEWMAN ….Ringed cross with flaming heart in centre & rope design. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF THOMAS NEWMAN DIED 5TH JANUARY 1912. HIS WIFE MARY DIED 1ST MAY 1914. AND THEIR DECEASED CHILDREN. ALSO PATRICK NEWMAN DIED 20TH NOV. 1950”. R I P AT BOTTOM & J. BENNETT ARDBRACCAN. Also ‘MY JESUS MERCY’ at the end of the cross.
13) ROURKE….A small stone with full sunburst & cross IHS & heart inside it. A DOVE WITH AN OLIVE BRANCH IN HER MOUTH ON EACH SIDE. “ERECTED BY MATTHEW ROURKE IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER MARTIN ROURKE WHO DIED OCT. 2ND 1765 AGED 45. ALSO HIS SON FRANCYIS ROURKE DIED JANy 6 1791 AGED 19 Yrs. HIS BROTHER JOHN DIED APRIL 1791 AGED 42 Yrs”. The son’s name is first written Francy then the correct ending Francis.
14) O’ DONNELL….. Solid cross with full sunburst in a sunken circle and a heart with a small cross. The solid cross has a shamrock at the end of each limb. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF CHRISTINA M.J. O’DONNELL BELOVED WIFE OF PATRICK O’ DONNELL R.I.C. WHO DIED AT BANAGHER ON 28TH JUNE 1905 AGED 27 YEARS. SACRED HEART OF JESUS HAVE MERCY ON HER SOUL”.
15) LOUGHLIN….Plain black marble slab with our lord displaying the sacred heart at the top. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF JAMES LOUGHLIN KILDALKEY DIED 5TH NOV. 1931. HIS WIFE ANN DIED 9TH APRIL 1964”. R I P & LOUGHLIN at base. RENNICKS TRIM at side.
16) GEOGHEGAN….. Modern black marble headstone with a cross on the left-hand side and the inscription on the right. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MICHAEL GEOGHEGAN MOYRATH DIED MARCH 1921, HIS WIFE DIED MARCH 1949. THEIR SONS PATRICK DIED MAY 1916. WILLIAM DIED SEPTEMBER 1921”.
R I P & S. GIBNEY MULLINGAR at bottom.
17) MC NAMEE…. Cross with IHS in centre & a fancy cross at the end of each limb. “ERECTED BY MRS ELIZABETH McNAMEE OF LARACOR IN MEMORY OF HER BELOVED HUSBAND PATRICK McNAMEE WHO DIED AUGt 2ND 1874 AGED 75 YEARS. THE ABOVE ELIZABETH McNAMEE ALIAS MURRAN DIED APRIL 20 1876 AGED 62 YEARS”.
18) MC KENNA…. This stone is under a yew tree. There is a full sunburst at middle top around a cross IHS & cherub’s head with expanded wings. There is a fancy flower on each side. MOMENTO on left & MORI on right. “THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY PATRICK McKENNA IN MEMORY OF HIS WALr McKENNA WHO DIED 5 OF OCTOBER OF 1802 AGED 27 YEARS. ALSO 2 CHILDREN WHO DIEDYOUNG. SON PATRICK McKENNA WHO LIVED….we were unable to read any more.
19) KAVANAGH…. Domed stone with full sunburst surrounding a cross IHS & heart. “ERECTED BY JOHN KAVANAGH IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER Wm KAVANAGH WHO DIED 4TH JAN. 1792. ALSO HIS MOTHER MARY KAVANAGH ALIAS REILLY DIED 10TH FEBy 1802 AGED 60 YEARS”. There is a large stopper stone lying in front of this headstone on the ground.
20) RISPIN…. White marble headstone with cross IHS & heart at right and inscription at left. “ERECTED IN LOVING MEMORY OF CHRISTOPHER RISPIN BALLYBRITTAS DIED 7TH JUNE 1957 AGE 78 YEARS. HIS WIFE MARGARET DIED 21ST MARCH 1968 AGED 75 YEARS”. There is a tulip at the bottom of the cross & R I P & T. & O. Rennicks.
21) KELLY…. A stone with a straight roll top & a small cross in centre & a scroll at each corner & a 4-petalled flower at the corners lower down. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF FATHER PATRICK KELLY DIED 11TH JANUARY 1922, MOTHER DIED DECEMBER 8TH 1945. THEIR CHILDREN PATRICK HUBERT AND DOLLY. ALSO AUNT ROSE KELLY AND GRAND-DAUGHTER ANN DIED 31ST MAY 1950”. R I P at the bottom.
22) NOWLAN… This is a bit of slate with ‘GLORIA IN EXCELSIS DEO’ around top. A full sunburst with cross IHS & R I P in centre. “HAVE MERCY O LORD ON THE SOUL OF THOs NOWLAN WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE IN THE YEAR OF 1820 AGED 56”.
23) KEALY ….A broken piece of stone with some words on it. “MARCH…………..LIFE….DIED…AGED 96 YEARS….WAS ERECTED …KEALY…..
24) O’BRIEN… Small white marble stone with blessed virgin’s head at top. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF JAMES O’BRIEN MOUNT POPLAR KILDALKEY DIED 21ST NOV. 1909 AGE 19 Yrs. AND HIS FATHER JAMES DIED 6TH SEPT. 1912 AGE 73 YRS. AND HIS MOTHER MARY DIED 12TH FEB. 1921 AGE 58 Yrs. HIS SISTER ELIZABETH SMITH DIED 8TH JULY 1970 AGE 78 YEARS. THEIR SON THOMAS DIED 10TH MAR. 1972 AGE 73 Yrs”. R I P at bottom.
25) WELSH…. Domed top with full sunburst cross & IHS in centre. “ERECTED BY JAMES WELSH IN MEMORY OF HIS FIVE CHILDREN WHO DIED IN THEIR MENORITY A D 1825”. THE LAST WORD OF THE INSCRIPTION SHOULD BE SPELT ‘MINORITY’. After this word we get a scroll of 3 lines which continues to the end of the line.
26) McCABE…. Solid cross, a circular depression with a flaming heart & a little cross on top of it. A shamrock at the end of each limb of the cross. “PRAY FOR THE REPOSE OF THE SOULS OF PATRICK McCABE MOONEYSTOWN ATHBOY WHO DIED 14TH DECEMBER 1912 AND HIS WIFE ELIZABETH WHO DIED 20TH FEBRUARY 1920”. At bottom ‘MAY THEY REST IN PEACE’ & FARRELL & SON Glasnevin.
27) STANLEY…. Domed stone with central cross at top. “ERECTED BY ANNIE STANLEY NEW YORK IN MEMORY OF HER MOTHER JULIA STANLEY WHO DIED FEBRUARY 1869 AGED ….YEARS. ALSO HER BROTHER JAMES WHO DIED SEPTEMBER 5TH 1885 AGED 21 YEARS”. There is a flaw in the stone where Julia’s age should be.
28) McCABE…. Stone with peaked top & cross in centre, & ivy trail on each side. “ERECTED BY JOHN McCABE IN MEMORY OF HIS BELOVED MOTHER MARY McCABE WHO DIED 23RD AUG. 1854 AGED 71 YEARS. ALSO OF HIS BELOVED WIFE MARGARET WHO DIED 13TH MAY 1867 AGED 61 YEARS”.
29) O’ROURKE…. Modern black marble stone with a cross at top. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF THE O’ROURKE FAMILY MOYRATH. JAMES CORRIGAN DIED 28TH FEB.1943. HIS WIFE ANNE DIED 1ST JANUARY 1958”. R I P & O’ROURKE at bottom, also Rennicks Trim.
30) QUINN…. Modern grey limestone cross with Our Lord’s head in its centre. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF THE QUINN FAMILY BASKINAGH”. At bottom R I P & ‘ERECTED BY CHRISTOPHER QUINN’.
31) KEARY… Old stone with domed top, full sunburst, cross & IHS in its centre and a tudor 8-petalled rose on each side. “HERE LIETH THE BODY OF TORRENCE KEARY WHO DEPd THIS LIFE MARCH 10TH 1786 AGED 46 YEARS. ALSO THE BODY OF ANNE KEARY WHO DEPd THIS LIFE AUGUST THE 3RD 1795 AGED 17 YEARS. ERECTED BY MARY KEARY ALIAS HUGHES AND HER SON THOMAS KEARY”. We think ‘Terrence’ is meant for the first person mentioned on the headstone.
32) KEARY…. Domed stone covered in ivy with full sunburst & cross IHS & heart in centre of top. Cherub & expanded wings at each side & inscription in a frame. “ERECTED BY ANDREW KEARY IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER MATHEW KEARY WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE JAN. 6TH 1799 AGE 66 YEARS. ALSO TWO SISTERS WHO DIED YOUNG. ALSO THE ABOVE NAMED ANDREW KEARY WHO DEPd THIS LIFE JULY 13TH 1869 AGED 75 Yrs”. Mathew is spelt with one t.
33) KEARNEY…. Modern white marble stone with solid cross at top and IHS in its centre. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF NICHOLAS KEARNEY DIED 21ST JUNE 1932. HIS WIFE ELLEN DIED 17TH JUNE 1961. THOMAS KEARNEY DIED 7TH NOV. 1947. HIS WIFE KATE DIED 14TH JAN. 1945 . MARGARET KIERNAN(?) DIED 10TH APRIL 1966”. R I P & KEARNEY at bottom.
34) BELL…. Plain stone with domed top & Christ’s head. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF OUR DARLING CHILD CHRISTOPHER BELL DIED 15TH DEC. 1959 AGED 7 YEARS. R I P”.
35) FAEGAN…. Very large old stone with a notched top, ‘GLORIA IN EXCELSIS DEO’ around central top with full sunburst cross & IHS. At each corner a 6-petalled rose. “ERECTED BY ELIZABETH FAEGAN OF TRIM IN MEMORY OF HER BELOVED HUSBAND JOHN FAEGAN WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE MARCH 2ND 1866 AGED 60 YEARS. ALSO HER BELOVED CHILDREN ELIZABETH WHO DIED JANUARY 7TH 1853 AGED 2 YEARS AND NICHOLAS DIED JULY 24TH 1865 AGED 1 YEAR AND SIX MONTHS.
36) REILLY…. Ringed cross with small cross in its centre & inscription in a frame. “ERECTED BY MICHAEL REILLY OF GRANARD CO. LONGFORD IN MEMORY OF HIS DEARLY BELOVED WIFE ROSE MARIE WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE MAY 14TH 1870 AGED 30 YEARS AND ALSO OF HIS INFANT DAUGHTER MARY ANNE AGED 11 MONTHS”.
37) MALONE…. A very high and imposing headstone with an elaborate cross on top with IHS in its centre. Under the cross we get a row of 5 crosses in front and 2 at each side. “ERECTED BY MICHAEL MALONE OF BALLYBOY IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER MICHAEL MALONE WHO DIED JUNE 4TH 1888 AGED 94 YEARS. ALSO HIS MOTHER ELLEN MALONE DIED FEBRUARY 24 1869 AGED 84 YEARS. ALSO HIS SON JAMES MALONE DIED SEPTEMBER 12TH 1888 AGED 12 YEARS”. R I P & Burnell Carrick.
38) … A large slab with no inscription on either side. It rests on a heap of stones & is about a foot off the ground. It is about three-quarters the size of a tabletomb but has no inscription on this bit of headstone.
39) MAHON…. Simple metal cross with “JOHN MARY MAHON, SONS MAT ANDY JIM & BIRNEY R I P”.
40) … Metal cross with no inscription. This grave has a curb around it.
41) REILLY….Grey limestone upright stone with a domed top & flaming heart. “REILLY BALLYBRITTAS. IN LOVING MEMORY OF ELIZABETH DIED 10TH JAN. 1945, CATHERINE DIED 12TH APRIL 1946, RICHARD DIED 8TH SEPT. 1958 & THEIR PARENTS”. There is a curious carving in a sunken circle 10 ins across on the back of this headstone: on the left we get…a male figure holding a scythe ( perhaps father time) with one hand & pointing to a cross in the middle with the other hand. On the blade of the scythe is ‘soy’ which I have been told is Spanish for ‘I am’. In the middle we get… a cross above, the ram of god on a cross below, & underneath IHS. The ram & IHS are on a shield. On the right we get… a woman with a curious high turban like hat holding a banner with two short words which seem to be ‘DOC COT’ & pointing with her other hand to the central cross. The only suggestion I can make is that these two short 3-letter words suggest the name of the person to those in the know.
42) MC AULEY… Small white marble slab on a grey base, Our Lord’s head on a cross with INRI (initials of ‘JESUS of NAZARETH the KING of the JEWS’). “IN LOVING MEMORY OF CATHERINE AND JOHN McAULEY & THEIR SON JOHN”. R I P at bottom.
43) NEWMAN…. This stone was almost completely buried in the ground until Mr McGearty dug up as much of it as he could. It is under a very large yew tree. “THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY THOs NEWMAN IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER PATRICK NEWMAN WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE FEBry 9TH IN THE YEAR OF OUR LORD 1784….the rest of the stone was too deep to expose.
44) GERAGHTY….Notched top with cross & IHS in centre, cherub & wings at each side. Frame around inscription. This stone is very hard to read at it has weathered very badly. “ ERECTED BY PATRICK GERAGHTY…………………..1799 AGED…………………..
45) MAHON…. Domed top. “ERECTED BY THOs MAHON BASKINA IN MEMORY OF HIS BELOVED SON PATRICK WHO DIED 18TH AUGUST 1891”.
R I P at bottom.
46) POTTERTON …. Flat top to this stone with a cross in centre. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF PATRICK POTTERTON DIED 20TH FEB. 1949”. At base R I P and O. Rennicks Navan.
47) POTTERTON…. White marble solid cross with IHS in centre. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF JOHN & ROSE POTTERTON (MOYRATH), THEIR DAUGHTER ELIZABETH GERRARD, GRAND-DAUGHTER ROSE CASSIDY”. R I P & Rennicks High St. Trim at bottom.
48) MURPHY…. Table tomb with ‘GLORIA IN EXCELSIS DEO’ around top, & a cross in centre. “ERECTED BY ANNE MURPHY OF ATHBOY IN MEMORY OF HER FATHER JAMES MURPHY WHO DIED 19TH MAY 1863 AGED 65 YEARS. AND HER MOTHER MARY MURPHY WHO DIED 9TH OCTOBER 1885 AGED 35 YEARS. REQUIESCANT IN PACE”. 4 square blocks act as pedestal stones.
49) HAIG…. This headstone is at the top of the Murphy tabletomb & altogether under a tree & very difficult to read; we are not even sure of the name but think it is ‘HAIG. It is an erect slab with a sunken circle at the top with a cross IHS & a flaming heart in it. There is a lozenge border around the incription. “THIS MONUMENT WAS ERECTED IN MEMORY OF WALTER HAIG WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE AUGUST THE 3RD 1776 AGED 55 YEARS ALSO FOUR OF HIS CHILDREN WHO DIED IN THEIR MINORITY. HIS SON BRYAN WHO DIED……1782 AGED 29”. The tree has now been cut.
50) KAVANAGH…. Domed top with full sunburst & ‘GLORIA etc’ around a cross IHS & a heart. “THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY THOMAS KAVANAGH IN MEMORY OF HIS BELOVED WIFE MARTHA KAVANAGH ALIAS HODGES WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE 22ND DAY OF NOVEMBER 1851 AGED 50”.
51) FULLAM… Ringed cross with flaming heart in centre. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF PETER FULLAM DIED 27 JULY 1899 AGED 65. HIS WIFE JULIA DIED 26 MARCH 1926 AGED 84. THEIR SON WILLIAM DIED 11 JAN. 1950. ALSO MATTHEW BROGAN DIED 11 JULY 1927 AGED 85 AND KATE BROGAN DIED 6TH FEB. 1961”. At bottom R I P and Burnell Carrick.
52) PERRY….. Metal cross almost hidden under a large tree. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF JENNIE PERRY DIED 2ND JANUARY 1949 R I P”.
53) GARRY…. Notched top with full sunburst around IHS. A scroll at each side. “THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY JOHN GARRY IN MEMORY OF HIS WIFE JANE GARRY ALIAS WALKER WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE IN Ye 75 YEAR OF HER AGE OCTOBER Ye 8. 1774”.
54) This stone can’t be read as it has worn very badly. Notched top.
55) Bit of slate. Can’t be read.
56) REILLY…. This stone is east of the chancel wall. Domed top with cross IHS & heart in a full sunburst. ‘GLORIA ETC’ AROUND BOTTOM OF SUNBURST. A VERY ELABORATE CHALICE ON EACH SIDE. “ERECTED BY MICHl REILY (only one L) OF MOYRATH IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER LAURCe REILLY WHO DEPd OCTr 12 1820 AGd 58 Yrs. ALSO HIS WIFE BRIDGET REILY ALIAS MOGILALY (?) WHO DEPd FEBy 1831 AGd 54 Yrs. PATk REILY DEPAd SEPr 27TH 1827 AGd 29 Yrs. MARY REILY DEPARTED 20TH OF JULY 1817 AGd 17 Yrs. BRIDGET REILY DEPd JUNE 24TH 1823 AGED 15 Yrs. ELIZA REILY DEPd SEPtr 14. 1830 AGd 18 Yrs. ALSO THE ABOVE MICHl REILY WHO DEPd SEPr 26. 1842 AGED 39 Yrs. ALSO HIS SON PATk WHO DEPd YOUNG. MAY THEY REST IN PEACE AMEN”.
57) O’NEILL … This stone is leaning against the chancel-arch wall. It has a notched top with cross & IHS. “HERE LYETH THE BODY OF PATRICK O’NEILL WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE 15TH OF SEPTmb 1741 AGED 48 YEARS”.
58) O’NEILL…. This stone is also leaning against the chancel-arch wall. It is badly affected by white lichen. Scroll on each side, full sunburst around cross IHS & heart with a plant growing out of it. ‘GORIA ETC’ around top. “ERECTED BY PATRICK O’NEILL IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER DANIEL O’NEILL WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE FEBy 4TH 1783 AGED 71 YEARS. ALSO HIS MOTHER ELIZABETH O’NEILL ALIAS WARD DEPARTED THIS LIFE JANy 26. 1772 AGED 46 Yrs. ALSO HIS SON HUGH O’NEILL DEPARTED THIS LIFE JUNE 6TH 1798 AGED 20 YEARS. BROTHER BRYAN O’NEILL DEPd THIS LIFE JUNE 6TH 1790”.
59) KEALEY…. There is a curb around this grave. A roll top & inscription on a scroll. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF OUR DEAR PARENTS MARY KEALEY KILDALKEY DIED 8TH MAY 1958 AND WILLIAM KEALEY DIED 13TH MAY 1965”. R I P & ‘SACRED HEART OF JESUS HAVE MERCY ON THEIR SOULS’ at bottom. Also Ardbraccan Quarries.
60) REYNOLDS…. This stone is leaning backwards. A domed top with full sunburst cross IHS & heart. An 8-petalled rose at each side & also another cross. “THIS MONUMENT WAS ERECTED BY THOMAS REYNOLDS IN MEMORY OF HIS SON AND DAUGHTER JAMES AND JUDITH REYNOLDS DEPARTED THE 7TH OF FEBRUARY 1795 SON AGED 15 YEARS AND DAUGHTER ELEVEN”.
61) DARBY….A large headstone with cross at top & IHS in centre. “ERECTED IN MEMORY OF MRS JANE HOGAN OF TYMOOLE WHO DIED 28TH FEBRUARY 1874 AGED 70 YEARS. THOMAS DARBY DIED 26TH JAN. 1917. HIS WIFE MARGARET DIED 4TH MAR. 1903. HIS DAUGHTER ANN DIED 13TH DEC. 1932. HIS SON EUGENE DIED 12TH APRIL 1936. ALSO HIS WIFE BRIDGET MARY DIED 13TH DEC. 1975”. R I P at bottom.
62) GARRY…. Ringed cross and heart with flames in centre. “ERECTED BY JULIA GARRY IN LOVING MEMORY OF HER BELOVED HUSBAND THOMAS GARRY DIED 22ND APRIL 1948 AGED 60 Yrs”.
Headstones in nave of ruined church & to north & south of it.
63) MURRAY…. Cross with Our Lord’s head in centre, shamrock at end of each limb. ‘MARY JESUS MERCY’ AROUND HEAD. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MY DEAR HUSBAND MICHAEL MURRAY WHO DIED 21ST JULY 1935 AGED 63 YEARS. ALSO HIS WIFE CATHERINE DIED 11TH JUNE 1944”. R I P at bottom & Farrell & Son Dublin.
64) WHITE WOODEN CROSS WITH NO NAME.
65) WHITE WOODEN CROSS WITH NO NAME.
66) REYNOLDS….. Notched top. This stone is very worn & all that can be seen is the faint trace of a sunburst. “ERECTED BY PHELIM REYNOLDS IN MEMORY OF HIS WIFE ANNE REYNOLDS WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE APRIL 12TH 1816 AGED 60 Yrs.”
67) O’CONNER…. This tabletomb is in the north side of the nave immedlately inside the chancel arch. It has 4 well carved pedestal stones but it has been pushed off them on the north side. The measurements of the top slab are…..100 ins long, 46ins wide & 4 ½ ins thick. There is a frame around the outside of the stone. At the top we get 2 cherubs with wings meeting in the centre in a rectangular depression. Over these cherubs is a cross IHS & 3 nails in a complete sunburst. The cherubs are fairly clear but the contents of the sunburst are badly worn. In vol. Xl under Kildalkey pages 311 & 312 of the MEMORIALS OF THE DEAD according to a rubbing by that well known authority Canon Carrigan we get this version of the inscription – “THIS STONE IS ERECTED BY Mr BRYAN O CONNOR OF ONGENSTOWN GREAT GRANDSON TO DENNIS O’CONNOR ESQ OF CAPPAGARRON ………..IN THE KING’S COUNTY UNDER LIE THE REMAINS OF HIS FATHER MOTHER AND UNCLES DENNIS AND THOMAS AND OF HIS AUNTS MARGARET AND MARY AND HIS SISTERS THE WIVES – REFLICTS – OF MR DONNELL C OF ……….AND CHRISTOPHER PLUNKETT OF ONGENSTOWN AFORESAID WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE THE ………..OF SEPTEMBER 1773 AGED 60 YEARS UNDERNEATH LYETH THE BODY OF THE ABOVE BRYAN O’CONNOR WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE THE 26TH APRIL 1791 AGED 73 YEARS ALSO THE BODY OF HIS DAUGHTER ROSE FORD A FRIEND TO THE POOR SHE LIVED BELOVED AND DIED LAMENTED THE 31ST AUGUST 1799 AGED 49 YEARS”. Coat of arms & motto of O’Connor family follow at bottom. It is very hard to read this inscription as it is very worn except for words at each side. Below the above is a short inscription in a different lettering and quite easy to read which is not mentioned by Canon Carrigan ……. “BERNARD FORD ONGENSTOWN SON OF JAMES AND ROSE FORD DIED 24TH MAY 1853 AGED 67 YEARS”. There are 8 pieces of iron about 5 ins long & one inch wide mending cracks in the lower 1 ½ ft of the great slab. The crest (not referred to by Carrigan) in an arm (left) from shoulder to finger tips and bent at the elbow. The upper arm from biceps to shoulder seems to be naked, while below the biceps it is covered with a garment or gauntlet. The coat of arms is inside a circle nearly a foot wide & the circle has a well-marked raised edge. It is a tree with easily seen roots. Amongst the roots on left (viewer’s) side is a fish with head to the centre of the circle while on right side opposite the fish with head also to the centre of the circle is an animal like a deer but here are no horns. Foliage is in the lowest part of the circle & it sprays outside it. I think this tabletomb has a vault under it & that it has been rifled at some period. The great slab is no longer resting on any of its 4 pedestal stones but has an indiscriminate heap of stones underneath it. It was almost invisible with a luxuriant growth of elderberry branches which Mr McGearty sawed down so that it is easy to see & study now.
68) BRACKEN…..Large Celtic Cross with its hat-like ornament on top. There is a lot of the Irish rope design. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF JOHN BRACKEN BALLIVOR DIED 12 MARCH 1883. HIS WIFE BRIDGET BRACKEN DIED 17 JULY 1889. ALSO THEIR CHILDREN EDWARD, ANNE, KATE & JOHN. JAMES & HIS WIFE MARY R I P”.
69) HUGHES…. Full sunburst around a cross IHS & a heart turned upside down. On each side of it is a cherub’s head. Domed top. “THIS STONE ERECTED BY JOHN HUGHES IN MEMORY OF HIS BROTHER JAMES HUGHES WHO DIED APRIL 10TH 1769 AGd 20.
70) REILLY….. Ringed cross with cross & IHS in centre. Shamrock at end of each line. “ERECTED BY JOHN AND RICHARD REILLY IN MEMORY OF THEIR BELOVED MOTHER ELLEN REILLY WHO DIED FEBy 28TH 1869 AGED 72 YEARS”. R I P at bottom.
71) RUSSELL….Ringed granite cross with IHS in its centre. “SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF THOMAS AND MICHAEL RUSSELL; WHO DIED JUNE 1938. ALSO PARENTS SISTER AND BROTHERS. R I P”.
72) CROOKES…. Solid cross ornamented with trefoil. “ERECTED BY THOMAS CROOKES IN MEMORY OF HIS BELOVED FATHER PATRICK CROOKES AND HIS BELOVED MOTHER BRIDGET CROOKES. AND HIS BROTHER MICHAEL AND HIS SISTER JANE, AND ALSO HIS BELOVED SON WILLIAM WHO DIED 14TH MARCH 1884 AGED 25 YEARS, ALSO HIS SON JOHN DIED 17 APRIL 1922. HIS WIFE MARY DIED 30 DEC. 1914. PATRICK DIED 28 MARCH 1929. HIS SON CHRISTOPHER CROOKES DIED 15 AUG. 1974 AGED 86. R I P”. At bottom Farrell & Son Glasnevin.
73) CARNEY…. Full sunburst with cross IHS & what looks like the lower part of the cross below the IHS. A scroll on each side. “HERE LYETH Ye BODY OF EDMOND CARNEY SON OF WILLIAM CARNEY & ROSE GAVIS WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE MARCH Ye 25TH 1758 IN Ye 46TH YEAR OF HIS AGE. LORD HAVE MERCY ON HIS SOUL. SIMON CARNEY DEPARTED THIS LIFE AUGUST Ye 24TH 1793 AGd 77 YEARS. LAURENCe CARNEY DEPARTED THIS LIFE MAY 64 YEARS R I P”.
74) BROWN… Domed top with upper half of sunburst & ‘GLORIA ETC’ around cross IHS & a heart. “ERECTED BY MATTHEW BLIGH IN MEMORY OF HIS BROTHER-IN–LAW EDWARD BROWN OF TRIMBLESTOWN WHO DEPd THIS LIFE APRIL 12TH 1836 AGED 32. ALSO HIS FATHER FRANCIS BRENNAN DEPd 1769 AGED 71 YEARS. ALSO HIS MOTHER CHRISTIAN BRENNAN DEPd 1809 AGED 70 YEARS. MARY BRENNAN DEPd THIS LIFE THE 8TH JULY 1815 AGED 20 YEARS. JULIA BLIGH ON THE 18TH JULY 1850 AGED 60 YEARS”.
75) MOLLOY…A very small rough stone with a full sunburst around a cross IHS & a heart. A scroll on each side. “THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY JOHN CORRIGAN IN MEMORY OF HIS MOTHER MARY MOLLOY WHO DIED APRIL 26TH 1768 AGED 66 YEARS.
76) MAY… Very rough old stone with domed top & full sunburst around cross IHS & heart 2 barbs. ‘GLORIA ETC’ under the sunburst. “THIS MONUMENT WAS ERECTED BY WILLIAM MAY IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER WILLIAM MAY WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE NOVr 17TH 1773 AGE 75. ALSO HIS MOTHER MARY MAY ALIAS HOPKINS”.
77) MAYE…. This stone is covered with white lichen, full sunburst around cross IHS & heart. “THIS STONE ERECTED BY THE MAYES OF BALLATALION IN MEMORY OF THEIR FATHER JAMES MAYE WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE 9 OF AUGUST 1859 AGED 75 YEARS. ALSO THEIR MOTHER MARY MAY DEPARTED THIS LIFE SEPTEMBER 1840 AGED 65 YEARS”.
78) HEFFERNAN… Iron railing around grave. A plain cross with a wreath of flowers around it composes the top part of this large headstone, but the cross is broken off& lying separate. The flowers are very well carved & one can name the different kinds of flowers intended. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MATTHEW HEFFERNAN MOATTOWN WHO DIED 21ST JANUARY 1892 AGED 28 YEARS. Erected by his sorrowing widow R I P”.
79) HEFFERNAN…Domed top with full sunburst enclosing a cross IHS & heart. In each side we get a well-carved bird with an olive branch in her mouth. “HERE LIETH THE By OF RICHARD HEFFERNAN WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE MARCH 15TH 1749 AGED 68 Yrs. ERECTED BY HIS SON MAT H. 1772”.
80) BLAKE…. Very old stone flaking badly, full sunburst around a cross IHS & heart, a cherub with expanded wings on each side. A lozenge border around inscription. “THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY EDWARD BLAKE TO Ye MEMORY OF HIS BROTHER JOHN WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE MAY 9TH 1776 AGED 56 YEARS”. The capital letters on this stone of over 200 years of age are beautifully formed.
81) FAGAN….old rough stone with notched top & full sunburst around a cross IHS & heart. “HERE LIETH THE BODY OF JOHN FAGAN WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE FEBRUARY Ye 10th 1774 AGED 77 Yrs. ALSO HIS WIFE CATHERINE DALY DEPARTED JANy YE 2d 1773 AGed 72 Yrs. THE LORD HAVE MERCY ON THEIR SOULS. Erected by his sons William John Hugh and James Fagan”.
82) MULVY…Domed top with full sunburst around cross IHS & heart. A cherub’s head & wings on each side. “ERECTED BY THOMAS MULVY IN MEMORY OF HIS WIFE BRIDGET MULVY WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE……..1827 AGED 50 YEARS”.
83) FAGAN…. Small modern stone with our lord’s head in the centre. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF JAMES FAGAN DIED 18TH MARCH 1936 AGED 22 YEARS. ALSO HIS SISTER MARGARET MASSEY DIED 21ST FEB. 1937 AGED 31 YEARS”.
84) MC GOVERN…. Small modern slab with black cross. “IN FOND REMEMBERANCE OF THE McGOVERN FAMILY MOATTOWN KILDALKEY
R I P”.
85) REILLY… Grey limestone slab with cross above our lord’s head. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF THOMAS REILLY FRAYNE DIED JAN. 6. 1963. ALSO HIS SON TOM DIED DEC. 17. 1947. ALSO HIS MOTHER ANNE REILLY DIED JAN.9. 1970. R I P”.
86) CUNNINGHAM….. Square dark grey granite block with cross at top. “CUNNINGHAM BORN 1810 DIED 1852. ERECTED BY HIS SON MICHAEL WOONSOCKET R I . USA”.
87) YORKE…. Domed top & sunken circle with IHS. “ERECTED BY PATRICK YORKE IN MEMORY OF HIS MOTHER ROSE YORKE WHO DIED 5TH JANUARY 1866 AGED 70 YEARS”. R I P at bottom & Farrell & Sons Glasnevin.
88) MARTIN…. White marble stone with domed top & black cross with floral ornament at top. “ERECTED BY MICHAEL MARTIN IN MEMORY OF HIS BELOVED WIFE CATHERINE MARTIN DIED 22ND NOVr 1898 AGED 59 YEARS. ALSO THE ABOVE MICHAEL THEIR SON, PATRICK AND HIS WIFE KATE, THEIR SON PATRICK DIED JAN. 1954”. R I P at bottom.
89) DEVLIN…. Modern grey stone with cross on right-hand side and IHS under it. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF JOHN DEVLIN KILDALKEY DIED 8TH OCT. 1970, ALSO MOTHER BROTHERS & SISTERS R I P. ERECTED BY HIS WIFE DAUGHTER & FRIENDS”.
90) MAGUIRE…… Domed top with cross & IHS in its centre. Under dome an open book, flowers, cross & heart. ERECTED BY MAGGIE BAILEY NEW YORK IN MEMORY OF HER PARENTS JOHN AND MARY MAGUIRE KILKEELAN. ALSO HER SISTER JANE MAGUIRE OF NEW YORK WHO DIED 24TH OCT. 1909 AGED 63 YEARS. MAY THEY REST IN PEACE AMEN’.
91) FITZSIMONS…. Holed cross with heart in centre, domed top to main stone. “PRAY FOR THE REPOSE OF THE SOUL OF MRS FITZSIMONS CARBERTSTOWN TRIM, WHO DIED 10 JUNE 1898 AGED 61 YEARS. ALSO HER HUSBAND TERENCE WHO DIED15 APR 1907 AGED 81 YEARS, AND THEIR DAUGHTER ANNE WHO DIED 18 OCT. 1913 AGED 41 YEARS. ALSO HER BROTHER JAMES FITZSIMONS DIED 31 JULY 1929”.
92) MOLLOY…. Domed top with full sunburst enclosing cross & IHS, GLORIA IN EXCELSIS DEO around the sunburst, a flower on each side & a frame around inscription. “THIS MONUMENT WAS ERECTED IN MEMORY OF WILLIAM MOLLOY FORMERLY OF RATHKEENAN AND HIS POSTERITY. REQUIESCANT IN PACE 1800”.
93) COLLINS… Very large headstone with cross on top. “ERECTED BY JAMES COLLINS OF TRIM IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER PATRICK COLLINS WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE APRIL 8TH 1850 AGED 56 YEARS. ALSO HIS MOTHER ROSE COLLINS WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE APRIL 11H 1883 AGED 69 YEARS. REQUIESCANT IN PACE”.
94) The top of a headstone with a bit of sunburst & IHS but no inscription.
95) BYRNE….. There is a curb around this grave. Domed top, harp & shamrocks as ornamentation. This headstone is under a big tree. “ERECTED BY THE WARRINGTON FAMILY NEW YORK IN MEMORY OF THEIR RELATIVES, ANNE BYRNE DIED 17TH FEB. 1947, AND THE CLERY FAMILY OF MOYRATH KILDALKEY”. R I P & Burnell Edenderry at bottom.
96) CLARKE… This stone is much sunk in the ground, it has a domed top, full sunburst encircling IHS. “ERECTED BY PATRICK CLARKE IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER AND MOTHER RICHARD AND MARY CLARKE FOR…………JUNE 1701 AGED…………
Group of headstones south of tower
97) …………….Stone with a domed top and a raised circle in centre & a flower on each side but very little can be read as the stone is much sunk in the ground & has worn very badly. “ERECTED BY WILLIAM …IN MEMORY OF ….DOMNACK………
98) GARRY… White marble slab on a modern grey base with a cross at each side. “IN MEMORY OF JOHN & MARIA GARRY KILDALKEY AND RELATIVES. R I P. Erected by Matthias Garry”.
99) DEALY… notched top, IHS in centre leaves on either side. “THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY GAUL-RY DEALY TO THE MEMORY OF HIS WIFE ELIZABETH DEALY ALIAS MURRAY WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE JANUARY 20. 1801 AGED……….YEARS”.
100) GAYNOR… Modern grey stone with domed top & cross& IHS in centre, & also a cross at each side. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF BARTLE GAYNOR KILLYON HILL-OF-DOWN ENFIELD DIED 30TH JUNE 1970 AGE 59 Yrs ALSO HIS PARENTS R I P. ERECTED BY HIS LOVING WIFE MARGARET”. T & O Rennicks Ardbraccan at base.
101) MC CAULEY… Fancy iron cross. “ERECTED BY THOMAS McCAULEY (OF KILDALKEY) IN MEMORY OF HIS MOTHER JULIA WHO DIED 12TH FEBRUARY 1802 AGED 75 YEARS. SACRED HEART OF JESUS HAVE MERCY ON HER”.
102) CORRIGAN… Inside a curb, ringed cross with IHS in centre. On base a cross. “IN MEMORY OF PETER CORRIGAN DIED 3RD JUNE 1951 ALSO THOMAS & JAMES R I P”.
Headstones north of tower
103) FAHY… Solid cross with flaming heart in a sunken circle at top. “ERECTED BY PETER FAHY IN LOVING MEMORY OF HIS WIFE MARY A. FAHY WHO DIED AT ATHBOY 8TH FEB 1908 AGED 56 YEARS”. R I P at bottom.
104) MC CORMACK…. Curb around this grave, modern white marble slab & ivy leaves at top. “ERECTED BY PHILIP McCORMACK IN LOVING MEMORY OF HIS WIFE KATHLEEN WHO DIED 2ND MAY 1952 ALSO CHRISTOPHER WHO DIED 29TH OCT. 1929 DARLING CHILD OF THOMAS AND MARY McCORMACK, AND PATRICK J. WHO DIED 19TH FEB. 1947 AGE 5 YRS DARLING CHILD OF DICK AND MOLLY McCORMACK” R I P at bottom.
105) HARMON….. In curb, cross at top of modern grey slab with a domed top. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF THOMAS HARMON DIED 13 JULY 1959 AGED 74 YEARS. AND HIS SONS BRENDEN DIED 31 JULY 1942 AGED 18. PATRICK DIED 30 NOV 1945 AGED 4 Yrs. HIS GRANDSON GARRY MICHAEL DIED 5 FEB. 1972 AGED 6 MONTHS. HIS DAUGHTER MARY DIED 7 DEC. 1973 AGED 55 YEARS. HIS WIFE KATHLEEN DIED 18 FEBRUARY 1974 AGED 75 Yrs”.
R I P at bottom & Burnell Edenderry.
106) PHILIPS…. Little wooden cross. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF MARY PHILLIPS WHO DIED IN OCTOBER 1960 AGED 86 YEARS. R I P”.
107) GALLAGHER…. Curb around this grave, white marble cross with IHS in its centre. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF RICHARD & KATE GALLAGHER AND THEIR SON DAN. R I P”.
108) GALLAGHER….. White domed stone, with cross in dome. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF JOHN GALLAGHER AND HIS PARENTS. HIS SON BRO. THOMAS AND SISTER PEG”. R I P & IHS at bottom.
109) BOYNE…. Peaked top, plain stone. “ERECTED BY MICHAEL DIGNAN OF BOOKLYN U S A IN MEMORY OF HIS BELOVED MOTHER MARY BOYNE ALIAS DUGNAN WHO DIED 4TH DEC 1871 AGED 72 YEARS”.
110) SMITH… Ringed cross with IHS in its centre. “ERECTED BY JOHN SMITH VASKINAGH IN LOVING MEMORY OF HIS PARENTS ROSE SMITH DIED 22ND JUNE 1927, PATRICK SMITH DIED 23RD JAN. 1941, AND THEIR DAUGHTER ANNE GAFFNEY DIED 8TH JUNE 1944, KATE SMITH DIED 27TH MAY 1958. THE ABOVE JOHN DIED 28 JULY 1969 R I P”.
111) McGRANE…. Simple cross. “EDWARD McGRANE FORGET ME NOT. MAY HE REST IN PEACE”.
112) COMMONS…. Very old simple plain stone with notched top. “ERECTED TO THE MEMORY OF FRANCIS COMMONS WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE APRIL THE 10TH 1835 AGED 78 YEARS”. On the back of the stone we get: “ADIEU MY FRIEND WIPE OFF YOUR TEARS I MUST LIE HERE TILL CHRIST APPEARS AND WHEN HE DOES I WILL ARISE TO LIFE THAT NEVER DIES”.
113) CORRIGAN… White marble cross with IHS in centre. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF JOHN CORRIGAN DIED 29TH JULY 1924. ALSO HIS WIFE ROSE CORRIGAN NEE BROGAN DIED 19TH AUGUST 1929 R I P. ERECTED BY THEIR LOVING FAMILY”. At base P. Crowe Dublin.
Headstones to west of tower
114) HARTE…. Solid cross, flaming heart in a sunken circle with ‘SACRED HEART OF JESUS HAVE MERCY’ around the circle. “ERECTED BY BRIGID HARTE IN MEMORY OF HER FATHER PATRICK HARTE DIED 28TH AUGUST 1894 AGED 79 YEARS. AND HER MOTHER MARY HARTE DIED 24TH OCT. 1901 AGED 85 YEARS”. R I P at bottom & Dennany Glasnevin.
115) VAUGHAN…. Domed top. Inscription on a bronze inset with a cross at top. “ERECTED BY ANNE VAUGHAN IN MEMORY OF HER BELOVED HUSBAND NICHOLAS VAUGHAN WHO DIED 26TH JULY 1906 AGED 57 YEARS R I P”.
116) CORR…. Very large headstone with floral cross at top & very large base with inscription. “ERECTED BY JAMES CORR MARTINSTOWN IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER RICHARD CORR DIED MARCH 2ND 1880 AGED 65. AND HIS MOTHER CATHERINE DIED MAY 13TH 1883 AGED 62. ALSO HIS SISTER MARY DIED JUNE 9TH 1885 AGED 35. CATHERINE DIED JULY 31ST 1885 AGED 29. OF YOUR CHARITY PRAY FOR THE SOUL OF PATRICK CORR DIED AUG. 11TH 1889 AGED 39. ALSO HIS SISTER BRIDGET DIED AUG 17TH 1902 AGED 35. HER SISTER MARGARET DIED 8TH MAY 1910. THE ABOVE NAMED JAMES CORR DIED 27TH SEP. 1910”. Burnell Carrick at bottom.
117) BROKEN TABLETOMB…. There are 4 finely carved pedestal stones one at each corner of this large grave plot. While the tomb itself is now composed of 2 large pieces & several small pieces. Only one of the large pieces seems to have any inscription on it & I found great difficulty in deciphering it. Some of the inscription part is underground & very firmly embedded to add to a reader’s troubles. Cross and IHS under it at the top. Then “OUL OF MI…………….THIS LIFE……….THE 10 YEARS OF OUR LORD…….”. Unfortunately the surname after Michael is quite unreadable.
I am deeply indebted to Mr Michael McGearty NT Kildalkey and his sister Miss Maureen McGearty NT for bringing me to Kildalkey Old Graveyard many times and giving invaluable help in the reading of the headstones.
Additional page which may or may not refer to Kildalkey Old Graveyard
DIED ON THE 15TH OF FEBRUARY 1832 / AGED 65 YEARS / AND MARIA HIS WIFE / WHO DIED ON THE 16TH OF SEPTEMBER 1860 / AGED 78 YEARS. ALSO THIR BELOVED SON JOHN WHO DIED ON / THE 16TH AUGUST 1847 / AGED 22 YEARS. AND MRS FRANCES O’NEILL SISTER OF / THE ABOVE MARIA WHO DIED ON / THE 13TH OF NOVEMBER 1861 / AGED 74 YEARS.
136) POTTERTON… A tabletomb. “ BENEATH THIS STONE / REST THE MORTAL REMAINS OF / THOMAS POTTERTON / OF BALATALION CO. MEATH WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE / NOVEMBER 8TH AD 1847 in his 71st year. / ALSO THOSE OF HIS BROTHER /HENRY POTTERTON / OF BALLYFALLON SAME C\OUNTY / WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE / OCT.29 AD 1846 AGED 72 YEARS /. EPH 2. 8. HERE ALSO LIE INTERRED /ELEANOR ANNE / WIDOW OF THE ABOVE NAMED / THOMAS POTTERTON /DIED AUGUST 15. 1874 AGED 86. AND TWO OF HIS DAUGHTERS / ELIZABETH DIED APRIL 11. 1883 AGED 65 / MARY DIED MARCH 17. 1887 AGED 67 /. AS ALSO THEIR SON / ARTHUR POTTERTON / OF CLONEYLOGAN CO. MEATH / BORN MARCH 19. 1828 DIED 6 OCTOBER 25. 1890 /. THE RIGHTEOUS SHALL BE HAD IN / EVERLASTING REMEMBERANCE. Ps 112.6/.
HERE ALSO REST / HARLOE AND EMILY IRWIN / GRANDCHILDREN OF THOMAS & ELEANOR POTTERTON /. MATT, 19. 14/.
There seems to be a larger tablestone under the one with the above inscription but of course there is no way of seeing if it has any inscription on it.
137) POTTERTON…. A tall headstone with a pinnacle top. On front… IN MEMORY OF / SARAH MAINWARING / WIFE OF / WILLIAM POTTERTON / BALATALION / DIED JAN 12TH 1894 / AGED 70 YEARS/. AND FIVE OF THEIR CHILDREN / THEY SHALL BE MINE SAITH THE LORD OF HOSTS / IN THAT DAY WHEN I MAKE UP MY JEWELS /. Mal. 111.17. ON THE RIGHT SIDE… THOMAS HENRY ./ DIED FEB. 7TH 1885 / AGED 29 YEARS/. ROBERT ALEXANDER / DIED SEP. 16TH 1894 / AGED 28 YEARS /. ON LEFT SIDE… FRANCES AND MATILDA TWINS / DIED MARCH 1868 / AGED 6 MONTHS /. ELEANOR EMMA / DIED MAY 1866 / AGED 2 YEARS/.
138) SMYTH… Domed stone. Inscription in a marble inset. “IN PIOUS REMEMBRANCE OF JOHN SMYTH FOR MANY YEARS SEXTON OF THIS CHURCH WHO DIED MAY 15. 1844 AGED 58. ALSO HIS ONLY SON JOHN WHO DIED AFTER A BRIEF ILLNESS NOV. 3. 1871 AGED 27. BOTH DEEPLY RETGRETTED. Ps C111. 16. 17. THIS MONUMENT WAS ERECTED BY CATHERINE NOBLE IN TOKEN OF THEIR FAITHFUL SERVICES IN CONNECTION WITH THE PARISH OF ATHBOY”.
139) WALKER… A peaked stone. “IN LOVING MEMORY OF ANDREW WALKER WHO DIED 12TH MAY 1878 AGED 72 YEARS”. At bottom … ‘WHAT THOUGH IN LONELY CRIES I SIGH FOR FRIEND BELOVED NO LONGER NIGH. SUBMISSIVE STILL WOULD I REPLY THY WILL BE DONE’.
I would like to thank Mr Wm Battersby for a good day’s help.